Forte II QUESTION

joshjp

So i got a pair for FREE, as my WIFEYS brother, was just gonna throw them out, so i grabed them as quick as possible, so i set them up, and they sound great, but one of them sounds different, its hard to explain the difference, but i would say it seems louder then the otherone at the same volume, and i cant get them to immage right,i have them in a equallateral triangle the same distance as my RF-62, anybody know what i can try to fix this? THANKS

Of course you have to figure out what is wrong before you can fix what is wrong.

My first guess is that a midrange driver is burned out. Or one of the tweeter drivers is burned out.

If you have a balance control, try listening to one, then the other and try to determine which range of frequencies is missing. Bass should be obvious.

The grills are held in place by magnets. You can use a butter knife to pry them off.

Try using a cardboard roll from paper towels as an improvised stethoscope and listen up close to determine if a midrange horn or tweeter is not working.

Let us know.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott
  • Like 1

If the drivers check out ok, next targets are the oem caps in the network. The originals were dime-a-dozen cheapies. Hell, you saved so much in their acquisition, you should spend some money with Mr. Crites and unleash your new forte's full potential.

Edited by Ski Bum
  • Like 1

Also check the phasing -- the sound should blend between the two speakers, Out of phase would result in less bass, and the sound seems to jump from one speaker to the other instead of staying blended as you walk from side to side in front of the speakers. There is also the very odd and very infrequent case of two individual drivers within one of the speakers being out of phase; you have to try to detect two of the drivers not blending,, like the mid and tweeter or tweeter and bass driver, by moving your head/ears up and down between them to hear the lack of blend.

Perhaps the odd sound is why your BIL wanted to get rid of them. They should not have that problem, and you are likely to benefit. Nice find!

Edited by LarryC

Don't let the bil listen after you have them back in good order!

Let's see some pics!!!

Congratulations! Made me have a LARGE smile. :-D

If the drivers check out ok, next targets are the oem caps in the network. The originals were dime-a-dozen cheapies. Hell, you saved so much in their acquisition, you should spend some money with Mr. Crites and unleash your new forte's full potential.

Klipsch said NOT to get Bob Vrites Titainium Tweets, as there not matched well.

there you go it has started already new ownership Steve Phillips is gone from customer service and the BS begins. Bob's ti tweeter diaphragms are as far as I am concerned superior to those Klipsch sell. I have replaced defective Klipsch ti diaphragms with Bob's which I have never had fail. As far as sound goes you should always replace in sets dont have one phenolic and one ti that will sound wrong. also some folks just don't like the sound of ti diaphragms but it is a very small percentage. If you happen to fall into that group Klipich will sell you phenolic diaphragms and so can Bob. If you have a Klipsch with a K77 tweeter which is phenolic Bob can sell yu a superior CT125 which is also phenolic and to me sounds every bit as good at the ti diaphragms All of the new Klipsch tweeters are ti by the way not phenolic just so you know. Hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James.

PS: just for the record Bob Crites is your go to guy he will never steer you wrong. Bob is a prince among men.

Klipsch BS Button.htm

Klipsch said NOT to get Bob Vrites Titainium Tweets, as there not matched well.

When I tried to "upgrade" my Forte II a few years ago; Klipsch techs told me the same thing. The Titanium diaphragms just don't go well with their tweeters.

Of course, there are people on this forum square by them.

Quote..." If you have a Klipsch with a K77 tweeter which is phenolic Bob can sell yu a superior CT125 which is also phenolic and to me sounds every bit as good at the ti diaphragms All of the new Klipsch tweeters are ti by the way not phenolic just so you know. Hope that this helps. Best regards Moray James."...

Moray, he is asking about the Forte II/ K75 tweeter. Why are you trying to promote the CT125 as a replacement for the K77?

Edited by cheric