Wondering about vintage receivers/pre-amps with Heritage?

jimjimbo

Have a chance to pick up a Marantz 1060 integrated amp, and a Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, both of which in superb condition. Beautiful vintage look, silver faces, the whole deal....However, am wondering about how these play with Heritage speakers, namely Heresy, Cornwall, Belle's....Anyone with experience here? Thanks. Jim

• Like 1

Not sure if iv had them exact models although had very similar. I used cw's, forte ii's and the next klipsch speaker down from the forte(tall floorstander)testing on quite a few vintage receivers.

That marantz will be farely nice on the heresys and id rate above average sound on the belles...That big pioneer will rock the heck out of all of them although completely rock the neighborhood out on the cornwalls! Not that it wouldnt sound good on the belles which id feel in right situation the belles may sound very well on the pioneer yet again that smaller marantz will provide all that really any of your list of speakers need but many do pass on vintage marantz around here and others i know not on the forum...myself i feel they worked nice while i used marantz.

That pioneer is a beast and would likely hold/maintain its value and sound just a bit better overall. Just a bit overkill in power unless you want to start your dj business with it. At low levels i would have to say the pioneer would sound very, very good

cheers to you Jim!

• Like 3

Had a SX-1280....gobs of power. Sold it to a forum member and it didn't travel well apparently. I have a SX-950 that is near mint except for a small chip left rear corner (there when I got it). I use the 950 with the LS hybrids and it sounds good but I prefer my tubed gear.

• Like 3

I have a completely rebuilt/recapped/new and improved SX-1250 in 99.999% perfect condition that is a great sounding receiver and would be my pick. There almost isn't such thing as low level listening it is so powerful. I prefer tubes too but it is a great choice and lots of fun!

• Like 2

The 1250 is by far, the grand daddy of all vintage receivers. It is also the only receiver I have ever had cross my bench that truly doubles down into 4 ohms. Quite a beast. Excellent bass response and is pretty even handed top to bottom.

Another great sounding receiver I recently had the pleasure of restoring is the Marantz 2330. Not the 2330B, but the 2330. This receiver has allot of the same magic as the best tube amps. Really quite special in the midrange with a 3D holographic soundscape. Really shocked me when I heard this sucker.. They are rare.

The 2285 (not the B ) sounds the same, but less power. I truly think these are the best receivers Marantz offered.

Edited by paul79
  • Like 2

I like the Yamaha too! The CA-2010 integrated lives up to the "Natural Sound" name but there is also something really special about the CR-2020.

The Pioneer is guaranteed to liven up the bass! Paul79 is well acquainted with my Pioneer SX-1250 since he is the one who built it! He will take good care of your old solid state if you need. If you never had your 40 year old amp or receiver recapped I highly recommend that you give Paul a call! His attitude seems to be pretty much that he is going to do things the right way and completely... and no BS.

Thanks Paul! Now you've got me thinking about combing garage sales for an old 2330!

• Like 3

Looking to and for the bass. Sounds like a good technician.

And that's a good thing I need 100 watts to confirm.Have an older Yamaha with Chorus for 2 channel which is not bad so, looking to mellow for now. Chorus II likes watts heard said here so...looked at a Pioneer today.

Are they good with Klipsch?

Thanks Paul! Now you've got me thinking about combing garage sales for an old 2330!

Do it. You won't regret it. I'm trying to find one myself. Look real snazzy in a wood cabinet also.

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

Been wanting to try Marantz. Guess been sidetracked.

May have to look. I need watts for the Chorus so, I may not have been exact here. The Old avr Yamaha has a light up on the bass. 85 watts would be enough. Just that I am hit an miss. The Y R-100 may be not a number of hours on it. May take a chance.

Listening to a 45 watter per channel Aut tuner with Aut9000 integrated. Sounds good but not enough to light up the KG5.5' imo

Guess I am leaning towards warmth. Marantz may bee the ticket.

How about that situation?

Thanks

Both the Pioneer and the Marantz sound wonderful. It really depends on the rest of your system and what you are trying to achieve. The Marantz may be a touch warmer, but will not have anywhere near the grip on the bass and dynamics that the big Pioneer will. Not to mention, your source has allot to do with the final outcome.

The Pioneer is the big neutral dynamic machine that is capable of live volume levels. The Marantz is the comfy curl up in the chair type of receiver. Both equally engaging depending on what your trying to accomplish.

Just know that if either of these are not properly restored, you won't know what they are capable of.

I'd have both :)

Edited by paul79
  • Like 1

Have a chance to pick up a Marantz 1060 integrated amp, and a Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, both of which in superb condition. Beautiful vintage look, silver faces, the whole deal....However, am wondering about how these play with Heritage speakers, namely Heresy, Cornwall, Belle's....Anyone with experience here? Thanks. Jim

Jim: can you describe what superb condition means? The 1060 is only about 40 years old so if it is stock it may well look lovely but it is an old piece of melt down just waiting to happen. Old gear like this needs to have every electrolytic cap replaced for it to be safe to use. A stock unit of this age could take your speaker with it when it dies. The grade of caps used in such equipment were designed for about ten years of continuous duty so as you can imagine they were well past their best before date twenty years ago. Buying old stuff like this is courting disaster if you do not intend to refurbish it. Best regards Moray James.

http://www.hifiengine.com/manual_library/marantz/1060.shtml