Wondering about vintage receivers/pre-amps with Heritage?

jimjimbo

When I was in college my fraternity brother had a pair of Klipsch speakers..not sure of the model but they were big and when powered by my Yamaha CR-2020 were so loud the other fraternities were calling the police to complain about the volume.

Currently I have a CA-2010 that's been checked by two technicians and they are amazed at how well it performs and sounds without any replacements. I am checking it on a regular basis to make sure everything's ok.

I'm planning i'm dedicating my custom Heresy's to a tube system but I will try them out with my Yamaha as well.

Edited by Sprags
  • Like 2

When I was in college my fraternity brother had a pair of Klipsch speakers..not sure of the model but they were big and when powered by my Yamaha CR-2020 were so loud the other fraternities were calling the police to complain about the volume.

Currently I have a CA-2010 that's been checked by two technicians and they are amazed at how well it performs and sounds without any replacements. I am checking it on a regular basis to make sure everything's ok.

I'm planning i'm dedicating my custom Heresy's to a tube system but I will try them out with my Yamaha as well.

very similar vintage your Yamaha (to the 1060 Marantz). I had a Yamaha integrated from that time period also when I was in school, I loved the looks as they are very clean and modern. I also have an old Technics micro power amp with a transistor switching supply of slightly newer vintage. Like your Yamaha it still works and still sounds astoundingly good but it is not safe to run. I do plan a rebuild with all new electrolytic caps and some circuitry streamlining since the present performance more than justifies the upgrades. The 1060 Marantz was good for the day a solid performer but not special from a design point of view aside from the good looks while the Yamaha was actually a good attempt at a very much better design hi end very low distortion with even nicer aesthetics (to me anyway) While the Technics is a very ambitious and innovative design for the day with a transistor switching supply. If you want to see an amp which has everything looks build and sota design look no further than the Luxman L58A. This is the way to design an amp it is totally modern thoroughly designed and engineered and worthy of a full rebuild. A superb performer. This amp demonstrated Luxman's superior design engineering as they incorporated and full casdode second stage more than ten years before Malcolm Hawks of the UK attempted to explain the design missing the fact that Luxman had figured out the Cascode both better and a decade sooner. That said this vintage of amplifier (no matter the make) all need work by now. After thirty years all bets are off I care not how fine they may sound they are time bombs so please do be careful.

I can recommend a very special EL34 integrated amp made by Antique Sound Labs the AQ1003 and you will need to change out the 12AU7 tubes for 12BH7 which are direct drop ins and will transform the performance of this amp from very good to superior. Very hard to beat for the money with the 12BH7 tubes in place of the AU's. Good luck and best regards Moray James.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/yamaha-CA-2010.html

http://www.voenixrising.com/pdf/SUC01-SEC01-STC01Brochure.pdf

http://www.thevintageknob.org/luxman-L-58A.html

Have a chance to pick up a Marantz 1060 integrated amp, and a Pioneer SX-1250 receiver, both of which in superb condition. Beautiful vintage look, silver faces, the whole deal....However, am wondering about how these play with Heritage speakers, namely Heresy, Cornwall, Belle's....Anyone with experience here? Thanks. Jim

I don't think you will be disappointed with the 1060. It's pretty well regarded in the marantz community. I've got a 2230 receiver hooked to my cornwalls and it sounds pretty sweet. I have vintage ss on all my heritages. My jewel is the Pioneer Spec 1 amp hooked to the la scalas. I had it restored by Glenn McDonald (AudioKarma's Echowars). I've got a Kenwood Eleven G hooked up to the HIII's and they mate very well. I had a newer HK receiver on the HIII's and didn't like the sound--hooked up the Kenwood and even my wife noticed major improvement.

I recently picked up a Sansui AU-5900 and really like the sound. It has a really nice base punch--plus it looks pretty cool too.