Outdoor speakers

The Dude

What are you all using for outdoor speakers. I was thinking of hanging some off of my deck towards the back yard. I have seen some have regular speakers hanging around out side. But it seem they are under a over hang or deck of some sort with spray on bed liner to protect them.

Thanks

• Moderators

If it's only going to be used in the summer, and you have a little covered spot you could use anything and take them down and store them in the winter ?

Heresy's in the bar permanent and covered, mwm/lascala tops outside for good weather. They were rough Heresy's painted with exterior black paint for the bar, was advised by the forum to spray hairspray on the woofers and grill cloth to repel moisture.

I have floor standers sitting on frames facing down in my soffit. Plenty of sound and they are invisible. Klipsch makes some pretty salty outdoor speaks as my friend has the 5 or 6" driver pair and they will put out enough sound for the neighbors as well.

Good ideas, I think I have an itch to build something. But I don't know, I like the idea of hanging something in between the joist. I would think they it would be important to have them sitting at a an angle for rain to run off. I would all so need to come up with a way to easily dismount them so I could take them in for the winter.

• Like 2

Same as Carl; KPT-100s under the soffit on my back deck. Source is Zone 2 of my AVR. No sub here though...

I bring them inside November and put 'em back out in the spring.

post-28997-0-67720000-1405698114_thumb.j

post-28997-0-94200000-1405698124_thumb.j

Edited by iRONic
  • Like 1

Those particular speakers have a built in roll off on the top end. There's an easy mod to restore it and only requires a piece of wire and a couple drops of solder to bring the top end back. If you're interested, I can try to find the thread for you.

I have a pair of Def Tech AW-6500's underneath the eave under my patio hooked up to Zone 2 on my RX-A1030. They sound great to me and have stood up to the weather so far. I did have a bad rattling sound that was cured by tightening all of the mounting bolts. Way better than my Dewalt battery charger/radio. I eventually want to add a separate, dedicated amp and an outdoor volume control.