Deciding between Chorus 1 or Forte 1 - Acoustic music focus

KA1J

Hello and my first post to the group.

I'm an acoustic musician and most of what I listen to are strings. I have some Rock/Blues LPs from the 60's-70's that I'll listen to every so often but most of what I listen to will relate to acoustic. I have a pair of Mackie 824 monitors I used to use when recording but now they are used when I'm at the computer & I have a pair of Mackie 450's I used to use when performing. I'd like to get some speakers for the living room for music and TV and could use the above speakers but I remember a friends Klipshorn speakers and never forgot how they left me breathless.

Klipschorn are too large for my living room but I think I'd like to get a pair of older Klipsch speakers & build up a decent stereo system to go into them, sufficing with my old Technics Receiver & B&O Beogram 4002 turntable till I work my way up. I've done quite a bit of homework and think I would probably be most happy with either the Chorus 1 or the Forte 1 with the idea of upgrading to the Crites crossovers and Titanium diaphragms. I'm not into powerfully loud any more but I do want stunning reproduction of what is there.

So with things narrowed down to this, I'd appreciate input of which between the two would be a better choice for acoustic instruments & vocals; the Chorus 1 or Forte 1

Another question is what is a reasonable price for a close to pristine unmolested set of these?

Thanks.

Edited by KA1J
  • Like 1

you should consider forte ll or Chorus ll both have larger better quality mid horns. The forte will go lower than the Chorus does but the Chorus is more efficient. There are also differences between the sound of the 12 inch woofer and the fifteen inch woofer which is a personal preference. I think that playback level will also be a consideration if you like loud and you like to pound then the Chorus will win those battles every time. Since you said that you like acoustic music my first suggestion would be a Forte ll as the best all around performer. See if you can listen to both. Also keep your eyes open for a pair of KLF20 or KLF30 or for a pair of CF3 or CF4 any of those would also impress you and are well worth checking out. All of these speakers can be modified and improved if you find you like them and would like more.

Welcome to the forum this is a great place glad to have you sign up. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

Someone around here has both Chorus and fortes NIB for sale. Walnut fortes, brand spankin' new, mmmmm.

As Moray James mentioned, fortes are a very good all around compromise with Hoffman's Iron Law: dig a little deeper, a bit less sensitive, and a little better WAF too-Chorus are pretty huge.

Edited by Ski Bum

Thanks for the replies! Its not so easy to find that many to try out and most everybody has something different powering them & the different room characteristics make it tough to A:B different speakers in different locations. For sure I won't be pushing the speakers all that much, after performing for 40 years I pay more attention to being around loud noises & the right ear isn't as good as the left & that's from more sound on my right.

So I'm looking for clarity for the sounds of overtones more than the lowest few Hz of one speaker vs another. For instance, when I record strings I use an old KM84 because its warm and linear, the new KM84i is loved by many but is too shrill for me. I guess I want the same thing with the speakers, clear and buttery, not too high and most guitars, fiddles, mandolins don't have much low end. The acoustic bass does but you don't want that to be predominant in the sound. My lady has a sub whoofer in her surround and its nice with movies but it overly emphasizes sounds that are normally more subdued. I usually prefer accurate reproduction of the sound. Usually...

Between the Chorus and Forte I wonder if there's much of a difference in the reproduction of lows from a fiddle or mandolin or even guitar?

If i had to choose between the Chorus & Forte i would go with the fully horn loaded La Scala.

Horns rule. :D

I agree. The transparency of big mids makes everything else pale in comparison with my ears. I don't think you will be unhappy with either the Forte's or Chorus. The good thing is, neither will lose value and you could easily buy both pair and sell the lessor of your liking and know you got the right pair without wondering about the "what ifs."

• Like 1

Thank you all for the thoughts and suggestions.

I looked at a pair of Forte 1 and Chorus 1. It was not a level playing field in that the speakers were not side by side and there was a couch close to the Forte pair. I think the sensitivity of the Chorus worked to their benefit as listening to a couple of CD cuts I know well, the Chorus seemed to be more pleasing. I thought hard about picking up the Forte as well but decided on picking up a NAD 218THX instead. Seeing as that amp was working very well with the Chorus, it seemed like a good choice and it is more powerful and more current than my 1971 Receiver.

I have one Daking Mic Pre 1 which is a stellar Microphone Pre but even getting another to make a stereo pair, they likely won't be a good choice for the amp. So now comes the next step, to find a decent pre that allows a phono input.among others. Now I need to hit the books again and figure out what I really need and what I can afford among the options. I would prefer a tube pre but paying large money for that isn't in the picture.

Thank you again.

Unless you have a really huge room forte II is the choice. Why do you insist on the I's? Especially for acoustic you want the tractrix midrange, the forte II's are the best balanced but if you have a huge room maybe you want the chorus IIs. I have both the chorus II and the forte II by the way, in two different locations.

Why the 1's? Tromprof has it pretty well right.

I would like to listen to some music right now. I could use my Mackie SR450s and they would be fine for awhile but I always liked the older Klipsch speakers. After being a performing musician for many years my ability to hear as I could 50 years ago is gone, I'd be kidding myself to think I could hear the best of the best. On the other hand, I am a musician and still have a discerning ear when it comes to sound reproduction. So today I can pick up what I wanted, was able to hear them and not discover a failed part or something untoward if they were shipped. The cost of shipping is high, the cost of gas & time to drive to other states is high and these were close-by. I might as well stop playing around with less than good solutions and just get what will make me happy, don't need the best of the best, just a good choice.

Another reason for the 1's is I like older things. I don't buy new cars, I restore radios made in the 30's & 40's, play older instruments so getting the original version of something always has a place in my heart. I prefer the 58 Corvette or 64 Stingray to any of the later models. So that is part of it, sometimes I think companies continue to engineer things that end up keeping a name but are totally different in visceral ways. Some people like the original sound, some prefer the new engineering. Think at heart I'm a Luddite.

As to the room; right now they are going in a odd shaped space, a hardwood living/dining room 25' x 15' with a over sized plate glass window & partial permanent room divider in it. Eventually they will be in a carpeted room 30' x 20'.

If i had to choose between the Chorus & Forte i would go with the fully horn loaded La Scala.

Horns rule. :D

I wholeheartedly agree! However, if I couldn't go with the La Scalas, I would certainly go with the Chorus, either version. As far as I am concerned, the Chorus is very wife friendly. The longer you live with LS, the smaller they get, but the Chorus is a great speaker and would be my next choice.

Bruce

• 4 weeks later...

Chorus over forte' 1

Still have the Chorus as main speaker here.

Think you went with Chorus, if so, thinking you are happy.

Hard for me to badrap a forte' 1 as prominent reviewer at the time could only find one thing wrong with them.

He had to return them to Klipsch after the job was over. :(

Yes, I did get the Chorus 1 and did a BC cap replacement & the ti tweet driver & phenolic mid replacement on them. It made a nice change.

I couple of days ago bought a pair of Forte II and just today got the same upgrades from Bob Crites and will put them in this afternoon.

These are keepers and both are marvelous! real estate is good to have with all 4 though. ;)

Edited by KA1J

The 1 models use 90 degree horns so a wider sweet spot in the room. II's use tractrix horns so 60 degree horizontal dispersion, keeping sound from reflecting off the side walls, depending on placement. That might enter into your equation. I have forte and forte II here, will be doing some measuring and listening tests. I think the Chorus is a more LF sound according to what I've heard, most acoustic instruments don't really have that much low deep base. The forte is a very good all-round Klipsch loudspeaker and has a fairly small footprint with horns at a pretty decent height for seated listening.

• Like 1