Deciding between Chorus 1 or Forte 1 - Acoustic music focus

KA1J

Thanks for the thoughts, interesting description of the acoustic approach to each.. Side by side, the Chorus are definitely more efficient and are the more pronounced of the two. That said there are I think benefits to having them close by each other as each offers tone the other does not. I do love the sound of all 4 at the same time. Next effort will be to put the forte II on top of the Chorus to see that sound that elicits.

I play most every kind of stringed instrument found in the states and none of them other than a full size stand up bass or Grand piano really gives a whole lot of bass. I personally have no interest in a sub because that would completely alter the sound you would get if you were in the acoustic group making the music and that is exactly which is what I want to hear. With that, bass is not supposed to be the dominant sound, just an anchor for timing and a counterpoint for the other instruments to play off of so they can dominate their moment when it comes.

I'm going to hold judgment on these Forte II with the new diaphragms till they have a few hundred hours of playing time on them as volume isn't what makes a speaker good and right now the Chorus sound best to me but they are louder and dominate the two. Its easy for us to let our conceptions make decisions that aren't solid and this might be one of those moments. If speakers do require break-in time this waiting time may prove that to me. Mounting the forte on top of the Chorus might be a good choice, either way, they are both marvelous speakers.

Edited by KA1J

PS if you enjoy 'warm' sounds, DO NOT put the titanium diaphrams in your drivers.

Definitely. I do like warm sounds but after too many years of the loudest sounds on my right side and louder volume overall, most sounds are eternally what I'd call "warm" anymore. Biology & physiology being what it is, we can't be around loud without damage and the proof of that would be me... So the titanium may well be too bright for someone with undamaged ears but for me they make sounds stand marvelously out that otherwise are in the mud. I've always preferred clear and sharp over sweet and muddy unless its instrumentals only. ;)

Edited by KA1J

Yes, I did get the Chorus 1 and did a BC cap replacement & the ti tweet driver & phenolic mid replacement on them. It made a nice change.

I couple of days ago bought a pair of Forte II and just today got the same upgrades from Bob Crites and will put them in this afternoon.

These are keepers and both are marvelous! real estate is good to have with all 4 though. ;)

The Chorus then have a few hours on them by now and sounding good then from what you say. Have gotten my replacement caps from another member here for our Chorus. Believe a question I had regarding titanium for my tweeters has been just recently given right here. I like the sound of the Chorus and do abit of near listening. Thinking that I may want to go back with new phenolic for mid and tweet. Guess the phenolic gets to a point besides outright blown, where new is a welcome replacement.

In any case, good speaker choices, in my limited opinion. Liked my forte' and listenened here to anothers II. Really like the II's, as I listen when case presents itself to moderate levels.

The Forte / Forte II's are both great speakers but I would choose a Chorus I or II over either any day of the week. They're just more pronounced and detailed in my opinion, much more sensitive too (maybe why they're more detailed?) and at the same time can they take a ton of good clean power and stay crystal clear up to absurd levels. Now that you have the Chorus and the Forte you can make your own determination on which you prefer, congratulations!!

• Like 1