Ceiling speakers with Heritage HT system?

cerescobra

I 'm in the process of building a dedicated HT in my basement. I've purchased most of the electronics and the speakers. It will be a 7.2 system including La Scala LCRs and Heresy surrounds. With the pending introduction of Dolby Atmos, I plan to wire for four ceiling mounted speakers, in the event I decide to include Atmos at some point. That leads to the topic of this thread. What Klipsch ceiling mounted speakers would best timbre match with the Heritage line? I'm looking to check for fit and cost in the event I decide to include them.

Thanks for your advice!

Cheers!

Chuck

As I understand Atmos, the desired location is in the ceiling for all 4 speakers. So that's what I'm researching. I'll run the wires for sure. Just looked at the Klipsch Architectural series. Products are available in a variety of sizes in the Reference and THX Ultra II lines. Just hoping to confirm how to best timbre match.......

Thanks,

Chuck

Mounted ON Ceiling (Pro Speaker)

http://www.klipsch.com/kpt-250/details

KPT-250 II 15
Item #094916011326 | Available at your Local Dealer.
DESCRIPTION SPECS DOWNLOADS

The KPT-250 II 15 is a 12-inch three-way cinema surround loudspeaker system.

• High power handling
  • Extreme efficiency
  • Low Distortion

A 12-inch three-way cinema surround loudspeaker system, the KPT-250 II 15 offers high power handling extreme efficiency extended bass response and exceptional coverage control. For the ultimate in digital sound reproduction the system features Tractrix Horn technology a 15° down-firing angle a 3/4-inch void-free plywood enclosure pre-drilled for industry standard mounting brackets and a high-frequency protection circuit.

Frequency Response: 70Hz-19kHz 3dB, 52Hz-20kHz -10dB SENSITIVITY: 101dB SPL at 1M, half-space anechoic with 2.83V input POWER HANDLING: 250 watts (38V) 40Hz-10kHz MAX CONTINUOUS OUTPUT: 123dB NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms (3 min.@ 8kHz) DRIVE COMPONENTS: One K-42-EPK 12" woofer
One K-53-TI 2" titanium diaphragm compression driver
One K-792-KP 1" diaphragm compression driver INPUT CONNECTIONS: Barrier Strip COVERAGE ANGLE: HORIZONTAL 100 40 400Hz-20kHz
VERTICAL 50 30 3kHz-20kHz DIRECTIVITY INDEX: 7dB 3dB 1.6kHz-20kHz HEIGHT: 25" (64cm) WIDTH: 16" (41cm) DEPTH: 15.5" (39cm) WEIGHT: 60 lbs. (27kg) Q: 5

KPT-250 II 15 Cut Sheet
Cinema Brochure
KPT-250 II 15 2D DWG file
KPT-250 Ease Data

Get All Documents in Single Zip File
kpt-250_635042280280820000_medium.jpg
Edited by Sancho Panza

OR, maybe these:

http://www.klipsch.com/pressreleases/cinema-surrounds-press-release

Klipsch Launches New Cinema Surround Speakers at CinemaCon 2014

KPT-1200-M_635314308905498000_medium.jpgINDIANAPOLIS (March 24, 2014)Klipsch, a leading global speaker and headphone manufacturer, today unveils five new professional cinema surround speakers at CinemaCon 2014 in Las Vegas. Including two 8-inch woofer models (KPT-8000-M and KPT-8060-H) and three 12-inch woofer designs (KPT-1200-M, KPT 1260-H and KPT-1200-VBM), these high-aesthetic, molded-cabinet models present a contemporary look that blends perfectly into today’s modern cinemas.

“With the rising desire for increased aesthetics in speakers visible to the audience, it is important that we continue to deliver our premium sound quality with attractive and elegant products,” said Rob Standley, regional vice president of Klipsch commercial sales. “As a well-known brand in the minds of theater operators around the world, our new cinema surround speakers once again prove our unwavering dedication to remain innovative and deliver lifelike audio experiences designed to let audiences experience all the emotions the artists intended.”

Designed for flexible ceiling or side-wall placements, the new range of models include solutions that are perfect for everything from small, budget-conscious venues to grand auditoriums. Like all Klipsch surround speakers, the new speakers perfectly timbre-match Klipsch behind-screen systems for a seamless, immersive presentation. For placement flexibility, all models incorporate 8-degree or 15-degree angles with threaded inserts to accommodate optional Klipsch or industry standard brackets.

Klipsch’s proprietary Tractrix® Horn technology provides critical low-distortion clarity with high-efficiency for maximum output per watt. The addition of elliptical inserts, or “mumps”, into the horns enhance coverage across the full dispersion area of the horn. Depending on the model, either a 90-degree by 60-degree or a 100-degree by 100-degree dispersion pattern provides multiple options in covering a wide range of auditorium sizes with immersive sound.

Additionally, the KPT-1200-VBM incorporates Klipsch’s Virtual Boundary Array Technology (VBAT) using a pair of skewed horns that cover 140-degrees horizontally with a tight 60-degree vertical pattern that flawlessly delivers broad sounds with detailed surround information. Enabled with a wide pattern, the VBAT technology takes full advantage of advanced, digital sound formats.

The five new Klipsch professional cinema surround speakers debuting at CinemaCon 2014 will be available for purchase in May. For more information on the Klipsch brand and its product offering, visit Klipsch.com.

• Like 1

The kpt-1201 has the same 12" as the heresy. But idk how I would feel having them right above me. If they fell that would be pretty bad.

I think I agree. Looks like it would be almost like mounting Heresys in the ceiling. I was thinking more about the Architectural Series speakers that are designed for in-ceiling mount. Perhaps I should run the wires and watch for new Klipsch Atmos-inspired speakers to emerge......

Cheers!

Chuck

I emailed Klipsch tech support with this question, but haven't received a response yet. When I do, I'll post it here.

Sancho, where did you find the Atmos speaker diagrams? I've done some preliminary searches, but it seems Dolby must be waiting for their Atmos introduction later this year before they post that info.

Cheers!

Chuck

I emailed Klipsch tech support with this question, but haven't received a response yet. When I do, I'll post it here.

Sancho, where did you find the Atmos speaker diagrams? I've done some preliminary searches, but it seems Dolby must be waiting for their Atmos introduction later this year before they post that info.

Cheers!

Chuck

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/185-d-cinema-equipment-theaters/1407030-dolby-atmos-theatre-system-43.html

last page, Post #1269 is the last place I saw the best diagram I've seen, so far...

QUOTE=SoundChex;25707745]Actually, it looks to me that installing a Front Height Left|Right (FHL|FHR) speaker pair plus a Rear Height Left|Right (RHL|RHR) speaker pair and configuring the AVR to use them as the Height1 and Height2 speaker pairs in an Atmos 5.1.4 configuration would also produce a speaker layout correctly structured for Auro-3D 9.1. (Looking at the user manual for the Yamaha RX-A2040|RX-A3040, that seems to be the only Atmos speaker configuration offered...?!)

Atmos%20speaker%20layout.jpg

QUOTE=SoundChex;25707745]Actually, it looks to me that installing a Front Height Left|Right (FHL|FHR) speaker pair plus a Rear Height Left|Right (RHL|RHR) speaker pair and configuring the AVR to use them as the Height1 and Height2 speaker pairs in an Atmos 5.1.4 configuration would also produce a speaker layout correctly structured for Auro-3D 9.1. (Looking at the user manual for the Yamaha RX-A2040|RX-A3040, that seems to be the only Atmos speaker configuration offered...?!)

Atmos%20speaker%20layout.jpg

Thanks Sancho. This is the first diagram I've seen with the recommended angles for the ceiling speakers. I guess I have time to wait on the Dolby official recommendations. And I thought I could just do 4 ceiling speakers, but these diagrams indicate a whole lot more! Perhaps for the true Atmos "cinema experience", but I'm thinking 4 will be enough for me.

Cheers!

Chuck

How about mounting a pair of HI's, or HII's "Chipotle style" in the ceiling between the studs.

chipotle_decor.jpg

Bill

That's a great idea, Bill, and one that I had thought of. Problem is a Heresy is both to wide and too deep to fit in my ceiling joists. I'm wondering, though, whether in-wall speakers would be just a good or better than the in-ceilings. They would certainly fit into the joists. Might they have better range?

Cheers!

Chuck

How about mounting a pair of HI's, or HII's "Chipotle style" in the ceiling between the studs.

chipotle_decor.jpg

Bill

That's a great idea, Bill, and one that I had thought of. Problem is a Heresy is both to wide and too deep to fit in my ceiling joists. I'm wondering, though, whether in-wall speakers would be just a good or better than the in-ceilings. They would certainly fit into the joists. Might they have better range?

Cheers!

Chuck

My guess is in wall would work just as good as ceiling. In fact maybe even better being that you would have more to chose from.