Ok, so I DO think this is crazy... but... how crazy?

Coytee

The situation is, I have two Danley DTS-10's. Wife (who says I can do anything in this room) has finally reached her snapping point and says too big.

I'm still working all angles to get them in there.

Came up with what I admit, could be a seriously bad idea....then again, if it could be engineered to work, would be near brilliant.

Specific size doesn't matter for this next part.

Let's say the room is 16' wide by 20' long.

Along the length of one wall is a soffit that hangs down maybe 12 inches. It's maybe 18" wide. It then butts up to another section that is probably near four feet wide but still, about 12 inches deep (from the ceiling to the "ceiling" of the soffit)

Ok, here's the hair brained idea...

yank some drywall, drill into some ceiling joists.... hang the Danley's flat against the ceiling, up and out of the way. (remember I have two of them)

This would get them into the room, keep them out of the way.

Although I'm sure something could be built to structurally carry the weight, I do admit that sitting in a chair with a near 250+ pound box hanging overhead might be a bit unnerving.

We're going to build in some bookshelves and I could also perhaps (in addition to tying the support to the joists) build the shelves out a bit to offer direct support from underneath.

hmmmmm..... just thought of something.... I wonder if there would be a heat issue as we'll have a propane (ventless) fireplace sitting right under where this ceiling mount would go.

Here's a couple pics to try to give some perspective.

The more I think about this, I think I could put them anywhere on the ceiling (though I must admit the idea alone gives me a cringe of fear)

So two points of view...

1. How could this be made to happen?

2. Other than being crushed by a failed support, what are the downsides

post-12967-0-51320000-1405900352_thumb.j

The Danleys are some great subs Coytee. I see the real estate problem. You already have some big speakers in the room. That is why I got kicked out of the family room. Putting them on the ceiling seems like a lot of work and supporting the weight may be a problem. Any thoughts for an IB sub.

1. How could this be made to happen?

My right and left channels are currently 13' 4" apart (13.3 ft.). The imaging from the K-402's is superb that way.

You have 16 ft. to work with, so what I would do is place the Danleys on each side wall vertical so the ports are up high into the corners. You would be corner loading the subs for greater efficiency.

This would reduce the R and L channel spacing to the exact same dimension that I now enjoy. But there is a solid image. Besides you can angle the Jubes so the centers aim at your sweet spot, right? NOT 45 degrees.

The DTS-10 is 60" tall minus 20" for the port. The Jube bass bin is about 38" tall, so with the K-402's frame adding an extra 3/4" is no big deal. The mouth of the 402 would visually cover up the port screen and the port would fire above the Jube bin and into the the back of the K-402's driver is, which take up very little air volume so the sub bass would fire right past it. Having the back end of the 402 in the way of those huge waves from 12-40 Hz. would have no effect on the output, trust me.

Then all you have to do is use the exact same paint as your walls to paint the Danleys and they would, visually "disappear." this is what I would do if I were you.

post-20774-0-44440000-1405904061_thumb.j

Edited by ClaudeJ1
  • Like 2

If the opening was on the narrow side I'd say to think about the crawl space. Even then I think it would be too wide.

Give serious thought to painting to match the walls! It is amazing how that can make things disappear.

Ceiling is about 8 1/2 feet, no crawl space.

My original idea was to put them behind the Jubilee's (and this is still my favored option) Wife says they push everything too far into the room so that when her (wheelchair bound) niece comes (once a year), she won't be able to maneuver. (I think this can be easily dealt with)

I just had this idea about mounting them "up" and part of me thinks its brilliant and another part of me says it's a waiting disaster.

Ceiling is about 8 1/2 feet, no crawl space.

My original idea was to put them behind the Jubilee's (and this is still my favored option) Wife says they push everything too far into the room so that when her (wheelchair bound) niece comes (once a year), she won't be able to maneuver. (I think this can be easily dealt with)

I just had this idea about mounting them "up" and part of me thinks its brilliant and another part of me says it's a waiting disaster.

So no comment on my idea and Muel's?

Heh, your idea is (if I read the drawing correctly) exactly what I want to do. Each box will however, cover her window view to her 'secret garden'. So THERE....the cat is now out of the bag. You all know she's got a secret garden.... it ain't a secret anymore!

I thought I did reference his response when I said there was no crawl space?

I've thought about putting them under the couch as a riser "NO!" (with additional laughter along the lines of who in the world does a stupid thing like that?"

I thought about putting them under the Jube's as a riser but they would then encroach into the room 4 feet. With them flat against the back wall (how I perceive your drawing and my primary choice), they'd only impede the room by 18" or so and when her niece in the wheelchair comes to visit, they would not obstruct her movements.

Personally, I think that's the best idea (and I like the idea of painting same color as walls....I told her should could paint them with flowers or anything she wanted)

Do what one member on the AVS forum did, he installed a pair of gigantic horn subwoofers in the attic that vent into the listening space.

You could cut two holes and even chose a nice grille to cover the opening in the room. Unsuspecting guests will think they are A/C vents.

Here's a link to where they were hoisted up into the attic area with a winch...

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/155-diy-speakers-subs/1495785-doug-s-dual-gjallarhorn-build-4.html

Can you place them flat on the floor between the Jubs? Those two subs with the openings next to each other will shake the house. I have mine set up in that manner, but standing vertically behind my screen. With both sub openings next to each, my room shakes so much I wonder if the floor is going to hold.

I think there are other, simpler, options than trying to suspend those heavy boxes from the ceiling.

If you can manage to place the subs next to each other with the openings together, I think you will be surprised at the performance!