Slim Cornscala out of khorn parts

kodomo

Today I started cutting the wood with the help of a local carpenter. I have atlas drivers, k401 horns, k33 woofers and the tweeters. I wanted to build the cornscala at first, but then I found them to be a little bulky and short. I wanted to make a slimmer one, and found some people (a german guy) trying that. From his dimensions, I just put on a few more and matched the total volume of a cornwall after drivers and horns etc.

My local carpenter had some mdf laying around, so I changed the project from birchwood plywood to that. He had two of them with finishings laminated on top. Red and cream colored. I will be using the red in front, and cream all around.

The only things I am missing are the crossovers. The usual people get them are from Al (Alk) or Bob (Crites) but the cost of crossovers are over the customs limit. This means lots of fees and hassles. Do you think other crossovers with 800hz and 5000hz crossover points can work as well. This one costs peanuts (http://www.parts-express.com/speaker-crossover-3-way-8-ohm-800-5000-hz-100w--260-210) so I may give it a try. Maybe, I should buy plans from Bob or Al (if they are selling them) and try and build my crossovers. Still I would need to source parts etc. Any recommendations on this crossover issue?

post-55716-0-64580000-1406034345_thumb.j

Yes, I am in Antalya, Turkey. I have cool engineer friends that would help me :) If I can get the schematic and source the parts, it wouldn't be a problem.

If the speakers sound good, I will put the sketchup file and all the dimensions here.

ps. These will be given to a friend who is a struggling musician. I do not like the spare parts lying around. He is very talented, has very good ears and I really want him to be able to listen to good quality sound.

Edited by kodomo

As you have probably noticed, Al has removed all of his DIY pages.Since his older designs were already released for use, someone may be able to send them to you.

John Albright's design for the DHA2 should be able to be found on here, as well as all of the stock values and schematics for the various Klipsch crossovers.

If you want to cross higher than 400Hz (Khorn and La Scala), changes would have to be made.

Bruce

Edited by Marvel

I thought I need to cross around 800hz and 5000hz. This site says around 600hz is enough (http://mysite.verizon.net/res12il11/id92.html) There is also a schematic of Klipsch b3 which the site owner thinks is good for cornscala. I found the b3's original schematic as well. Do you guys think that would be worth the effort.

If it is good for cornscala or cornwall, it would probably work in my speaker.

why not step up to a 2" mid range if you're going as far as building a new cabinet?

Also... I am curious as to why you would not change the lower port profile?... since you are building new.

Edited by Schu

I just want to use the stuff that I have in my possession. I already have a 2" throated wooden tractix horn in my system :) This is being built for a friend with the spare parts that I have.

I thought lower port profile is dictated by the volume of the box. This shares the volume of the cornwall, so I kept a similar port. What would you recommend, anything I can do without buying more stuff to make the speaker sound better is more than welcome :) I haven't cut anything on the front board yet. It will be the last piece I build, I have still time to reconsider port size and shape.

Wow! from Trukey! I think you and me are the only members from this part of the world! how did you find a Khorn in Tureky?!

I've some European companies dealership like BMS, Faital Pro, B&C, Beyma, Jantzen. feel free if you need something for less money ^_^

luck with your project. consider the effect of baffle size on the low frequency response. make sure before cutting any plywood. acele sheytan karisir :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Although Al no longer publishes his schematics, you can still find the Universal schematic
on his website.

Click on Loudspeaker upgrades
Crossovers/Overview
What's wrong with the stock Klipsch networks anyhow? Here's what!

The schematic is at the bottom of the page.

Mike

• Like 1

wrap the ports around the bottom front corners, and you will be rewarded. soundwaves coming together in corners has a negative effect on sound. By placing them against the bottom panel and wrapping them around the corner eliminates the waves abilitys to come together at the corner. ;)

Edited by cradeldorf
  • Like 1

I will surely try the spare AK-3 networks I have first. Hope they work! I ll let you guys know

wrap the ports around the bottom front corners, and you will be rewarded. soundwaves coming together in corners has a negative effect on sound. By placing them against the bottom panel and wrapping them around the corner eliminates the waves abilitys to come together at the corner. ;)

Do you mean wrapped around the corners like this, but total opening dimension is kept the same around the perimeter?

post-55716-0-21080000-1406048992_thumb.j

• Like 1

why would you want the same port volumetric size if the cabinet dimensions are changing?

I read it as the dimensions are changing but internal volume was the same. He stated that he matched the stock net volume of a stock Cornwall.