Heresy Woofer Upgrade (porting optional)

ClaudeJ1

For those who were interested in building a "Super Heresy" like mine, here's a STEAL DEAL on a driver that is VERY similar to the Delta Pro 12A I recommended as a substitute for a Klipsch K-42 found in the HIP speakers.

They are a limited buyout at Parts Express and won't last long, so you need to jump on it. But you will have to modify your Heresy networks to make "B" networks like the Cornwall 1.

For about $120 per pair vs. about $280 for the Deltas and even more for K-42's these are a total steal for those who want more efficiency from their Heresy boxes. Even if you don't port them, you will get much better vocal clarity as well as guitars, saxes, piano, etc. and use half of the amplifier power to do it.

http://www.parts-express.com/community-111913-12-midwoofer-speaker-driver-8-ohm--299-523

Edited by ClaudeJ1

The low, low Qts of the Community means no bass, even if you port it.

That's fine if you have a subwoofer.

I agree with djk in principle, but with a wall/corner proximity of a rear port in a 12 x14 foot room, the room peaks bring up the bass in an incredible way. The reason I posted about this woofer is that it is close the K-42 at 1/4 the price, so how can you go wrong?

The sweet spot measurements and my room simulation support this notion of SYSTEM performance that includes an average room in the equation, not just driver Q

Edited by ClaudeJ1

BTW,

No matter which version or flavor of Heresy you have, Klipsch ported, custom ported, sealed, K22, K42, whatever, they ALL need a subwoofer for full system bass response, period. So the "weak bass" argument by DJK applies to all of them.

"so how can you go wrong?"

Please model it (WIN ISD, etc.).

Then model an Eminence 3012LF (with a Q=2 filter), flat to 37hz.

I don't want to go that low in that small of a box. I'd rather use a subwoofer below 60 Hz. I even do that with my big Quarter Pie horns, which I was trying to match, bandwidth-wise with the Heresys. The whole point of all this was to improve the midrange definition and sensitivy. I didn't care that much about the bass. The higher BL and low Qts of a K-42 accomplishes that very well. this cheap buyout woofer is a poor man's K-42. I'm only trying to share the benefits to those interested in making the same kind of improvements I enjoy every day, without the high costs. I'm just sharing the joy.

Overall, they sound better than stock Heresys, which is the ultimate goal. Much better vocal definition as a center channel and surrounds. Also because of the 3 db gain in efficiency they play with lower distortion at any level with high pass filtering. Besides, if you look at my measured in-room curves, you can see the room picks up the slack very well in bass department. I have had 2 Cornwall owners listen and their jaw dropped at how much bass my ported mods put out. I was totally surprised myself, but the room get the credit for the fat bass, not the woofer.

Edited by ClaudeJ1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks to be still in stock. Tempting to play with.

• Nominal Diameter12"
  • Power Handling (RMS)250 Watts
  • Power Handling (max)500 Watts
  • Impedance8 ohms
  • Frequency Response50 to 3,500 Hz
  • Sensitivity98.57 dB 1W/1m
  • Voice Coil Diameter3"
  • Resonant Frequency (Fs)51.81 Hz
  • DC Resistance (Re)4.73 ohms
  • Voice Coil Inductance (Le)1.65 mH
  • Mechanical Q (Qms)7.34
  • Electromagnetic Q (Qes)0.27
  • Total Q (Qts)0.26
  • Compliance Equivalent Volume (Vas)3.19 ft.³
  • Mechanical Compliance of Suspension (Cms)0.21 mm/N
  • Diaphragm Mass Inc. Airload (Mms)45.97g
  • Maximum Linear Excursion (Xmax)3.50 mm

Anybody else try these woofers yet?

I've got a pair of original Heresy with damaged woofers, but one only has a slight tear I think I can patch, and I already bought a pair off ebay (with one damaged in shipping, loose in a box of peanuts even wrapped in plastic does NOT work).

• 7 years later...
On 7/28/2014 at 11:37 PM, djk said:

"so how can you go wrong?"

Please model it (WIN ISD, etc.).

Then model an Eminence 3012LF (with a Q=2 filter), flat to 37hz.

What is a Q=2 filter? I looked up this woofer and it shows 46-2000 Fr with what I think is an excellent Xmax of 9.1mm. I also see a different Eminence woofer KL 3012 CX-8 advertises a 40-3200 Fr yet a lower Xmax at 7.47mm. Any thoughts on these two by comparison of the numbers would be appreciated.