LA Scala's for me?

cyto

I only ever heard them in two pretty good sized rooms. The bass was tuneful, and for acoustic music, was all you would ever want. But for my music and the volumes I listen to, they just couldn't play convincing bass. That might not hold true in a smaller room.

Shakey

every speaker has a sweet spot

Yes , i'm sure we're all aware of that ... The point is , with the Lascala's size and " weight " not many experiment with it's height placement .

Angled risers ( like the hersey's benifit from ) and the lower bass bin mod , have proven results over the years

As have ditching the mid horn for a wide dispersion 511 B

Yes , i'm sure we're all aware of that ... The point is , with the Lascala's size and " weight " not many experiment with it's height placement .

Angled risers ( like the hersey's benifit from ) and the lower bass bin mod , have proven results over the years

e

I have two pairs of H3 both with the factory risers removed and they are up on custom designed 22 inch high four post Skylan stands. While I think I would agree that I also prefer the sound of a 511B Altec over the K400 the Altec has more than enough problems of its own with ringing that just cannot be damped and there are other horns which would be real upgrade options. I would not recommend anyone to go to the trouble of changing K400/401 horns only to install a 511B or a 811B Alter unless they were die hard Altec fans and I don't know of any of those who have Klipsch speakers. Wider dispersion horns can often cause more problems than they solve. I rather like horns with more than less directivity control as that helps to keep the room out of the equation.

That was my point to encourage owners to experiment with LaScala height if only to see what happens. The fact is that most people are not aware about correct speaker height. I have been trying to spread that point for some time now. Even if it is only for an evening do the experiment and if they really like what they hear there are ways to raise them up which look fine and it does not change how much floor space they occupy high or low the footprint stays the same. Reflex riser is a great idea thanks to DJK for that one I think. Best regards Moray James.

e

I have two pairs of H3 both with the factory risers removed and they are up on custom designed 22 inch high four post Skylan stands. While I think I would agree that I also prefer the sound of a 511B Altec over the K400 the Altec has more than enough problems of its own with ringing that just cannot be damped and there are other horns which would be real upgrade options. I would not recommend anyone to go to the trouble of changing K400/401 horns only to install a 511B or a 811B Alter unless they were die hard Altec fans and I don't know of any of those who have Klipsch speakers. Wider dispersion horns can often cause more problems than they solve. I rather like horns with more than less directivity control as that helps to keep the room out of the equation.

That was my point to encourage owners to experiment with LaScala height if only to see what happens. The fact is that most people are not aware about correct speaker height. I have been trying to spread that point for some time now. Even if it is only for an evening do the experiment and if they really like what they hear there are ways to raise them up which look fine and it does not change how much floor space they occupy high or low the footprint stays the same. Reflex riser is a great idea thanks to DJK for that one I think. Best regards Moray James.

Speaking on general terms ... I could'nt agree more

So many factors come into play that very few consider , the most important of all is the room !

I've been around klipsch and horn loaded speakers since the mid 70's ... every room i've place horn loaded speakers in has presented it own set of circumstances .

14 x20 rooms , 20 x 20 room , 24 x 30 rooms , 36 x 36 rooms etc etc etc ... each one with different deflection and absorbion characteristic

Now i spend = or more money on shooting the room and treating it as i do the gear that occupies the space .

511B Altec lansing horns in one of my sets of Lascala's was awsome in a 24 x 30 room with the seating area at the rear of the long wall ... same combination in a 10 x 14 is waaaaay to bright on the highs and not at all pleasing .

It's very hard to make generalized comments on this forum when you deal with folks with such diverse experiance ... Some guys jump down your throat when you mention one thing while the same comment goes over the head of the next guy .

It's all good though ... in the end we all enjoy the music and thats what it's about , not the equipment .

Cheers : Dale

Edited by boxerjake

I would not recommend anyone to go to the trouble of changing K400/401 horns only to install a 511B or a 811B Alter unless they were die hard Altec fans and " I don't know of any of those who have Klipsch speakers " . Wider dispersion horns can often cause more problems than they solve. I rather like horns with more than less directivity control as that helps to keep the room out of the equation.

Best regards Moray James.

I know one die hard klipsch guy who has the 511b conversion on his belles ... ALK

Could'nt even begin to imagine how many network upgrades he's sold over the years ...

I'm no where near in the same league as this man as far as tech is concerned

Here is a quote from ALK engineering site :

SQUAWKER HORN: Do NOT use the Klipsch K400! I suggest a 1-inch wood Tractrix such as the Fastrac Cornwall or a used Altec 511B or 811B from eBay. If you go with the smaller 811B horn, cross over at 700 Hz. Better yet would be the 2-inch Fastrac Eliptrac 400.

SQUAWKER DRIVER: The Klipsch K55 or Atlas PD-5VH is fine, but the 600 or 700 Hz crossover allows the choice of may good drivers. A few possibilities are the JBL 2426h on a 1-inch horn or you can even go 2-way with the B&C DE85TN on a 2-inch horn

Edited by boxerjake

• 2 weeks later...