Khorn woofers

Daan

After removing the wooferpanels of my K-C-FB Klipschorns I found the K33-V woofers; I'm surprised how these 41 year old woofers still look like new looking at the cones and surrounds.

Looks like they can easily play for another generation, just like the rest of the drivers of the set.

post-33317-0-15020000-1406359653_thumb.j

post-33317-0-85020000-1406359664_thumb.j

post-33317-0-89340000-1406359676_thumb.j

post-33317-0-80860000-1406359729_thumb.j

post-33317-0-01620000-1406359805_thumb.j

• Like 2

last year we opened up the only Khorn living in Iran which is born 1959. the green-blue woofers in there was not seen the sun for decades. they are literally mint and untouched. the surrounding of woofer Klipsch use in Heritage is textile and won't rip apart easily. we also can apply some silicon glue to preserve them from aging. I can imagine 20st century Heritage speakers will be still singing in 22st when we're all gone! Heritage! inherit down to next generation!

hopefully I'll replace my Khorn K-400 because I don't want my next generation say bad things about their ancestors ear problems! :lol:

hopefully I'll replace my Khorn K-400 because I don't want my next generation say bad things about their ancestors ear problems!

Before you do that; be aware that choosing a different horn for mids will completely change te overall sound. I noticed that with other midhorns it all sounded more natural and less agressive to the ear, BUT not as dynamic as with the K-400's .

Before you buy a replacement-horn like a tractrix design , I think you should know this.

Nico

• Like 1

hopefully I'll replace my Khorn K-400 because I don't want my next generation say bad things about their ancestors ear problems!

Before you do that; be aware that choosing a different horn for mids will completely change te overall sound. I noticed that with other midhorns it all sounded more natural and less agressive to the ear, BUT not as dynamic as with the K-400's .

Before you buy a replacement-horn like a tractrix design , I think you should know this.

Nico

I know. I've had Klipsch (Khorn, LS, CW, CS, Heresy) for more than a decade and I've tweaked with these speakers a lot. I discovered my LS back in the 1996 in my grandpas basement after he passed away. I'm not unfamiliar with them. K-400 is a Exponential with a horrible honkiness which will kill me in a second! once one hear a Tractrix horn with a 2" exit CD, he won't go back to the k-400/K55 ever.

• Like 1

You are right about that, currently I'm using a 2" driver/ horn combo as well in a 2-way setup.

I can tell you one thing though; three weeks back I swapped the modded [ 2-way] University Classics for the Khorns just to test them temporarily before putting them in storage and guess what.... the same thing happened regarding dynamics. The Khorns play with the same "speed" as I remember from the LS's more than 25 years back when I heard them for the first time. Right after starting to mod the LS's they sounded more natural, but a part of that "speed" seemed gone.

With "speed" I mean the difference between sheer dynamics or a more "mellow [ relaxed ] sound". After modding the LS's they sounded way more natural as said before, but also more relaxed; did not startle me anymore like the original setup could. Friends listening to the original LS's said they almost crapped their pants during a recording with some full-orchestal attacks in it.

It's like choosing between two characters; one that will have you on the edge of your seat but wear you out in an hour or so, OR one that will sound more relaxed but will enable you to listen all day..... ;)

Nico

• Like 1

once one hear a Tractrix horn with a 2" exit CD, he won't go back to the k-400/K55 ever.

I heard a Dr. Bruce Edgar-derived Tractrix horn with a K-55V driver that sounded darn good to my ears. My current mid horn is a modified Tractrix by Roy Delgado called a K-402 with a fantastic Klipsch manufactured K-1133 driver, so it's a good comparison.

• Like 1