Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

Design thoughts when I put this together:

1. Minimum height of the bottom of the screen so it is not blocked by front row.

- Approximately 24"

2. The primary horn is ~1.5 ft above the ear when seated in the front row. Ear level in the 2nd row.

3. Audio is anchored to the center of the screen in this arrangement.

speakerheight.jpg

• Like 1

That HT is going to be awesome Michael. It will be interesting to see if the tweeters are to high. I personally prefer them not aimed directly at me and a little off axis. I will stay tuned to ths Bat channel /Bat station to see what the dynamic duels comes up with.

Sketchup model looks great by the way.

Thanks.

I have updated the drawings to show it in the closed position and added the lights.

build01.jpg

build02.jpg

Are you going to do anything to prevent the screen from twisting when you open and close it? I saw where some one on AVS had a twisting problem. I decided on mine to just leave it fixed, and remove the frame, and some of the silicone o-rings for access.

Are you going to do anything to prevent the screen from twisting when you open and close it? I saw where some one on AVS had a twisting problem. I decided on mine to just leave it fixed, and remove the frame, and some of the silicone o-rings for access.

I am building the frame from 4.5" extruded aluminum with 1x4" wood frame overlay wrapped in black velvet masking. Corners of the frame will be riveted.

I expect the frame to be pretty rigid, but if flexing is an issue I will weld ridged corners and bolt inside the aluminum frame.

• Like 1

I am building the frame from 4.5" extruded aluminum with 1x4" wood frame overlay wrapped in black velvet masking. Corners of the frame will be riveted.

I expect the frame to be pretty rigid, but if flexing is an issue I will weld ridged corners and bolt inside the aluminum frame.

You could also put a pair of supports around the center channel (they won't block the sound and will not be seen either) with hydraulics there too.

• Moderators

a Real Sign could look really good...

Honestly, the screen will rarely ever be lifted up. Not sure how well it would show through the AT screen when lit from the inside.

If I did it myself, my skill set and tools would limit me to printing something like this on a Vinyl Banner.

post-25073-0-62960000-1406572075_thumb.j

• Like 2

a Real Sign could look really good...

Honestly, the screen will rarely ever be lifted up. Not sure how well it would show through the AT screen when lit from the inside.

If I did it myself, my skill set and tools would limit me to printing something like this on a Vinyl Banner.

Years ago there was a guy on AVS that was making a Custom FOX style intro (with your name) for anyone that asked for free... I wish I still had the one he made for me as it was a very nice intro for a HT.

If you want to have an image like you have in your pic... You could take a picture of the setup without the screen material and then add a custom made sign image to the image... do a little Photoshop to it to make it look like it is behind the screen and then play that when you want to have people think they are looking at the rear all lit up with a custom screen too.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Just wanted to give an update.....Youthman's HT 2.0 will be placed on hold for several months. My good friend Wakejunkie has to have a vertebrae in his neck fused on Sept 3rd and will likely be unable to begin for several months after the surgery. Sure hate it for him. I'm not concerned about the delay in the HT one bit as his health is more important than any project we could work on together.

• Like 3