Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators
Gotta love the bartering thing.

Me too Bill.  It has saved me over $10,000 over the past few years.  :D

So far, I've bartered for...

Klipsch RF-83

Custom False Wall for HT

Seamless Gutters

Lanai Enclosure

Electrical Work

Velodyne HGS-15

Cleaning and Sealing Brick Pavers

9 Segway Rentals for my son's birthday party

Panasonic AE8000u

I think he gave his soul for it... LOL

No material possession would ever be worth that.  :P:D

• Like 3

[2nd episode]

Robin: Gee wiz, Batman. Youthman did it once again! He upped the ante in his Youth-cave.

What will you do, Batman?

Batman: He crossed the line, Robin. I won't play second fiddle to no one. He'll soon realize what happens to those who ridicule the Bat-cave.

Get PWK on the phone, Robin. That genius along with my team of expert engineers will put an end to this debacle, for good and all!

Robin: Ooh no, Batman. You've already lost, and you don't even know it.

(Robin thinking: perhaps Youthman needs a sidekick)

Stay tuned....

It's finally time to begin my HT 2.0 Build so I figured I would start a dedicated Build Thread here.

Wakejunkie is getting ready to begin construction of the new front cabinet wall and this evening, he sent me the final sketchup file that he designed and needless to say, I'm PUMPED!!!

The screen will have two hidden latches (similar to door handles on a car) that will release the screen. Gas shocks will hold the screen open.

The bottom three middle compartments will be able to slide forward via a 500lb max capacity commercial rail system. This will allow for MUCH easier access to the rear components.

The RSW-15 will be moved underneath one of the main LaScalas.

Here are the latest renderings from Wake but they do not show the Lighting under the curve and the rear view does not show that the top cabinets will be actual cabinets.

Final-Front-Wall-1.jpg

Final-Front-Wall-2.jpg

Final-Front-Wall-3.jpg

Final-Front-Wall-4.jpg

Final-Front-Wall-5.jpg

white lascalas look really sharp - they are always Black ot wood grain -I sure would like to see scalas in various colour choices

• Moderators
Yeah, especially if I add a bass bin below it.

That pic looks like something Coytee would do. :o  :P

Take out that laScala and that's my 2 Ch, for Ht you better have a bigger room !............. That's all I'm saying about that :lol:

• Like 1

• Moderators

Youthman, sorry to hear about Wake, praying for him.

Your room plans are cool looking, and I was impressed with the original room you did, your right it has come a long way. Keep up the good work, especially towards Wake. :emotion-21:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a great project room and those speakers and that red oak are magnificent, as are your photos. 

I'd like to respond to the speaker height comments here. Without seeing a dimensioned side view it's difficult to suss out, but most of the comments believe the horns to be too high. I'd say the opposite if anything. Proper pro cinema installation positions the HF horns at the top third of the screen, and these seem about halfway mark. This aids those in the back rows to have an unobstructed direct path of speaker to ear.  I would think that you'd get better deep base by leaving the subs anchored to the floor, unless there is a rare possibility of damp floor, such as in a basement theater.

I'm watching closely, as will begin my design phase soon. 

You kids have fun! 

• Moderators

Thanks Dtel.

This is a great project room and those speakers and that red oak are magnificent, as are your photos.

Thanks Michael.  Both me and Wakejunkie are excited to begin construction but it will be awhile before he's back on his feet after having 3 strokes.  It's super frustrating to him to not be able to work in his shop on projects like this but I keep telling him, he will be back at it soon. 

Proper pro cinema installation positions the HF horns at the top third of the screen, and these seem about halfway mark. This aids those in the back rows to have an unobstructed direct path of speaker to ear.

I had thought about that but did not know there was a good practice for Pro Cinema Top Third.  Good to know. 

Based on Wake's Sketchup below, it does appear that the horn will be close to the center so that might be a good thing.  I would also think that as bright and clear as the La Scalas are, having them above ear level probably will not be hindered in any way.  I can always try it both upright and inverted to see what sounds the best.  We don't have the rear seats filled too often so I'm more concerned with making it sound the best for the front row.  Back row would be secondary.

build02.jpg

I would think that you'd get better deep base by leaving the subs anchored to the floor, unless there is a rare possibility of damp floor, such as in a basement theater.

No basement here in Florida.  I had a discussion about sub placement in my Advice on Dual RSW-15 Placement Behind 150" AT Screen thread.  Lots of suggestions and opinions. 

I'm watching closely, as will begin my design phase soon. You kids have fun!

I've always appreciated your advice and wisdom.  You are truly a blessing to this community Michael.

• Moderators

I stayed up till 2am playing in the HT.  I unhooked the HK and the Sherbourn (since it needs repair on 4 channels that are out) and connected the Onkyo TX-NR1008.  I'm curious to see how the internal amps of the Onkyo compare to the 200x7 that I've been using.  Wondering how much difference the amp makes.  I know a long time ago, when I purchased my first power amp (Parasound 220 x 5), I shared that the amp added clarity, better separation of instruments and more bass even at low volume but also noted that although it was an upgrade, it was not a Night and Day difference.

Once I spend some time comparing the Onkyo with my current HK, I'll start a new thread comparing the two.  I'm thinking that the Onkyo might be an improvement over the HK for HT but the HK will sound better for 2ch.  Stay tuned.....