Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators

Here is the test piece for the pattern for the gap in the trim above

custom-cabinet-70.jpg

Old sanding belt attached to the face of the router crosscut sled to keep the board from "walking" while being routed

custom-cabinet-71.jpg

Needed to build a router table into the wing of the table saw since the other one is way too small for the project

custom-cabinet-72.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Paul building the platform that the LaScalas and a pair of the RSW-15's will sit on.

custom-cabinet-73.jpg

Notches were cut to easily route speaker wires through the cabinet.  We decided to make several sections as opposed to one long piece for easier removal if needed....you know for when I buy a 4th RSW-15.  :lol:

custom-cabinet-74.jpg

custom-cabinet-75.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

You are very lucky to have a friend with those skills! I can't even imagine how much it would have cost you to have someone come over and make this...not to mention it most likely wouldn't be built as well as what you have.

• Like 2

• Moderators
You are very lucky to have a friend with those skills!

I am TRULY blessed to have Shaun as my best friend (more like a brother) for the past 13yrs.  I am EXTREMELY grateful that he was willing to start the project before his strokes and EXTREMELY grateful for his Dad and a few friends that have been willing to finish it.

I can't even imagine how much it would have cost you to have someone come over and make this...not to mention it most likely wouldn't be built as well as what you have.

It has truly exceeded my expectations and is absolutely a work of pure craftsmanship.  He estimated maybe $6000 if I would have hired someone to build it.

So far I have spent $2756 on the entire project (including the cabinet, seymour fabric, Panasonic AE8000u projector and the LaScala Trio).  I include the LaScalas in the price of the remodel since they were the reason I started the project in the first place and the Panny because the only reason I upgraded to it was because of the massive jump from 103" to 150" (which was way more than the 3000u could have handled at only 1200 lumens).

After buying the LaScala Trio, I sold my previous RF-83 and RC-64 locally so that went towards the overall cost.  Since starting the project, I decided to purchase a few odds and ends on Craigslist with the intent to resell and made some profit from it.  I kept a spreadsheet with every detail and all in all, so far I have $701.40 out of pocket expenses for the entire project.

Not sure exactly how much more is needed....but the list is getting shorter.  I know I need to buy concrete anchors, romex for 15amp dedicated circuit, few pieces of lumber, 50' High Speed HDMI Cable and then Gas/Transportation cost etc.  So all in all....I'm guessing when we are finally finished, I will have around $1500 out of pocket for the cabinet, LaScala Trio and the Panny.  I can certainly live with that.  :D   I truly believe this entire project has been a blessing from the Lord.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

You are very lucky to have a friend with those skills!

I am TRULY blessed to have Shaun as my best friend (more like a brother) for the past 13yrs.  I am EXTREMELY grateful that he was willing to start the project before his strokes and EXTREMELY grateful for his Dad and a few friends that have been willing to finish it.

I can't even imagine how much it would have cost you to have someone come over and make this...not to mention it most likely wouldn't be built as well as what you have.

It has truly exceeded my expectations and is absolutely a work of pure craftsmanship.  He estimated maybe $6000 if I would have hired someone to build it.

So far I have spent $2756 on the entire project (including the cabinet, seymour fabric, Panasonic AE8000u projector and the LaScala Trio).  I include the LaScalas in the price of the remodel since they were the reason I started the project in the first place and the Panny because the only reason I upgraded to it was because of the massive jump from 103" to 150" (which was way more than the 3000u could have handled at only 1200 lumens).

After buying the LaScala Trio, I sold my previous RF-83 and RC-64 locally so that went towards the overall cost.  Since starting the project, I decided to purchase a few odds and ends on Craigslist with the intent to resell and made some profit from it.  I kept a spreadsheet with every detail and all in all, so far I have $701.40 out of pocket expenses for the entire project.

Not sure exactly how much more is needed....but the list is getting shorter.  I know I need to buy concrete anchors, romex for 15amp dedicated circuit, few pieces of lumber, 50' High Speed HDMI Cable and then Gas/Transportation cost etc.  So all in all....I'm guessing when we are finally finished, I will have around $1500 out of pocket for the cabinet, LaScala Trio and the Panny.  I can certainly live with that.  :D   I truly believe this entire project has been a blessing from the Lord.

I think for $6k (from someone who is in business, and you do not know), wouldn't be built anywhere as nice as what you are getting. I hired people in our area that were charging $100 and hour and it cost me $1k to have 2 doors rehung and trimmed. You have something that is a piece of art!

• Moderators
I think for $6k (from someone who is in business, and you do not know), wouldn't be built anywhere as nice as what you are getting.

Oh I agree.....I developed a website for a carpenter in exchange for my current false wall.  He was supposed to be a "professional" but there was a lot of errors in the build.  Doors sag, large gaps between pieces and uneven cuts.  I'm no woodworker but I easily spotted the flaws in it.  The new cabinet will be done right!

I hired people in our area that were charging $100 and hour and it cost me $1k to have 2 doors rehung and trimmed.

Wow.

You have something that is a piece of art!

Couldn't agree with you more..which is the main reason why I recently changed my mind about ebonizing the wood and going with a dark cherry wood stain.  I felt it would be a shame to hide the beauty of the wood grain for the sake of trying not to have reflections from the screen.  Shaun's HT has a lot of wood up front and I have never noticed any reflections once the lights went down so I think it will work great.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

I think for $6k (from someone who is in business, and you do not know), wouldn't be built anywhere as nice as what you are getting.

Oh I agree.....I developed a website for a carpenter in exchange for my current false wall.  He was supposed to be a "professional" but there was a lot of errors in the build.  Doors sag, large gaps between pieces and uneven cuts.  I'm no woodworker but I easily spotted the flaws in it.  The new cabinet will be done right!

I hired people in our area that were charging $100 and hour and it cost me $1k to have 2 doors rehung and trimmed.

Wow.

You have something that is a piece of art!

Couldn't agree with you more..which is the main reason why I recently changed my mind about ebonizing the wood and going with a dark cherry wood stain.  I felt it would be a shame to hide the beauty of the wood grain for the sake of trying not to have reflections from the screen.  Shaun's HT has a lot of wood up front and I have never noticed any reflections once the lights went down so I think it will work great.

Just use a matt finish on it.

• Moderators

Since the bottom middle portion of the cabinet is on commercial rails and will have the ability to slide out to allow easy access behind the equipment, we would either have to mount the baseboard with a gap at the bottom OR.....create a custom hinged baseboard!  Now I see where Shaun got his creative genes and woodworking skills from.  His dad has some mad woodworking and engineering skills!

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1