Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

That is a whole lota diamonds, they look great. Had a to be a bit tense after you get so far, you really don't want to mess that up after that much time and effort. Really can't wait to see this all together.

BTW wanted to ask what are you using for hinges on your screen? I see your going to use gas shocks to hold it open and help close it tight but curious on the hinge and latch. I am going to be helping a friend build a hinge system for his 180" AT screen  in about a month and this looks very similar to what he had in mind. :)

• Moderators
Had a to be a bit tense after you get so far, you really don't want to mess that up after that much time and effort.

I know...I thought the very same thing.

BTW wanted to ask what are you using for hinges on your screen?

Take a look at Page 9 of my build thread.  Are you referring to the latch at the bottom of the screen?  It's basically the equivalent to a hood latch.  I'll see if Wakejunkie can give some more details. 

I'm wondering if we might have to put some very thin vertical supports behind the screen.  Without them, I'm wondering if the screen will sag when raised up due to the enormous surface area.

Had a to be a bit tense after you get so far, you really don't want to mess that up after that much time and effort.

I know...I thought the very same thing.

BTW wanted to ask what are you using for hinges on your screen?

Take a look at Page 9 of my build thread.  Are you referring to the latch at the bottom of the screen?  It's basically the equivalent to a hood latch.  I'll see if Wakejunkie can give some more details. 

I'm wondering if we might have to put some very thin vertical supports behind the screen.  Without them, I'm wondering if the screen will sag when raised up due to the enormous surface area.

Yeah like pucker time. :lol:

Ah I see your hinges now, must have been drunk when I looked at that part of the thread. <_<:wacko::P  I don't see a latch but if it's a bear claw type that makes perfect sense and easy to find all these parts for me, we have about 60 cars in the back yard that I can take em off. Dad owned a body shop till he passed, collected a lot of stuff.

Thanks for pointing me to the right page, and I very much doubt your going to have a sag issue with double aluminum angle.

custom-cabinet-43_zpsewir4ird.jpg

• Like 1

The hinge is just a gate hinge welded to angle iron to change the mounting point since the hinge point is higher than the mounting point.

The latch is a car door latch and can be controlled with a cable release.

The frame is 4.5" by 2" extruded aluminum.

I'll try and get some better pics.

Hope this helps.

• Like 3

The hinge is just a gate hinge welded to angle iron to change the mounting point since the hinge point is higher than the mounting point.

Hope this helps.

Yes sir as soon as Youth said hood latch I knew it would be a bearclaw type so I'm 100% caught up. ;) Thanks man.

And yeah I have some of that extusion a tiny bit bigger and no way is that going to sag, awesome job BTW.

I'm not concerned in the least of the aluminum sagging...it's the fabric I'm worried about sagging.

wven if it did sag a tiny bit it's not like your gonna have the screen open for a month or something. My screen is pretty big and I take it off all the time and don't really notice sag when moving it around the room and it's angled back. Now I do have a center brace but it's really only for the frame.

Hope this helps.

Where did you get extruded aluminum that long?

• Moderators

You are correct, it may only be open for maybe an hour at a time (if I was swapping out components.  Your screen is leaning against a wall, mine will be completely horizontal with the floor.  I would think that's a big difference.  It just depends on how tight the screen is and how much that fabric stretches.  If it stretches very little, there probably isn't anything to worry about.  We won't know until we get it installed.

• Moderators

Hope this helps.

Where did you get extruded aluminum that long?

It was purchased at Mike's Merchandise....a salvage store in Guntersville, Alabama.

Steven is correct. The reality is there will always be bigger / better but honestly, I'm extremely content with my current setup. The LaScalas sound fantastic and only lack bass (which I have covered wit my Dual RSW-15).

Upgrading to the LaScalas was not intentional. I bought them out of curiosity only because I got a ridiculous Youthman deal on them and knew I could get what I had in the the same day. Needless to say, I liked them...I liked them a lot.

If I would have been 1st in line (instead of 2nd) for those $250 Khorns that were local, the LaScalas might not still be in my system.  :P

As I was skimming through the build thread this was on my mind, why LaScalas?   Not because I've heard them and know anything about them, but with all the choices available, why?

A deal is almost always the best reason to do something imo.   But with that said, I don't want to hijack your thread but am curious what, in order, you would put in as your L C F channels if you could pick anything...either from the Klipsch lines or elsewhere.   How did/do you determine that you prefer the LaScalas over using a pair of your RF7s?  Just curious. :)  I suppose changing out which goes in the theater may be easy to do anyway?

Edited by RoboKlipsch

• Moderators

That's a great question . The original decision to purchase the will scholars was purely because of a good deal . I have always been of the mindset that if I can purchase something cheap enough that I can know beyond a shadow of a doubt if I chose to sell it tomorrow I get my money back I'll buy it just so that I can have the experience of hearing it for myself, in my own home, hooked up to my own gear.

As far as what what I choose for my home theater? The La Scala's would not be still in my theater if I did not believe that they were the best Klipsch speaker that I have owned to date.

The clarity and smooth midrange are what set them apart from my 7's and 7ii's.

I can't tell you how much I fought against my thoughts that I had actually found a pair of speakers that I liked more than my previous RF83. I mean...the RF83 were my babies. Apart from my previous RC64, the RF83 were the only Klipsch speaker that I was the original owner. Let's just say I was a bit partial and biased towards them. But that quickly changed once I bought the LaScalas.

I have always been open in the form that I have never cared for the look of the heritage speakers. To me they have always looked "dated "and "old school ". I actually prefer the look and style of the reference series but in the end, the sound quality did trump the look. Since then, the little LaScalas have definitely grown on me and I actually like there look now . Maybe that's because I'm no longer a young dude now that I'm 40 LOL

If you ever get a chance to hear them at least go hear them for yourself and see if they have the sound that your ears like.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1