Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators

The plan is to tear down my current false wall the week of June 5th because we have VBS & Wild week at our church the following week so I will be tided up.

I have faith he will finish it in 3 weeks but I'm just wondering how close to the wire it will be. 

Wow! When I was in my teens I wanted to be a cabinet maker so I can appreciate the skill your nephew has. That's some impressive work and will be incredible once you get it all finished.  Can't wait to see it all come together. What color stain is he going use?

• Moderators

I originally wanted it black (similar to what I have now) so he made an ebonizing formula using vinegar and steel wool. But about 3/4 into the build process, I realize that this cabinet is too beautiful to ebonize. Instead, we are now going to stain it with a cherry finish.

I originally wanted it black (similar to what I have now) so he made an ebonizing formula using vinegar and steel wool. But about 3/4 into the build process, I realize that this cabinet is too beautiful to ebonize. Instead, we are now going to stain it with a cherry finish.

What a great choice! The cherry finish will really show off the craftsmanship. Oh man, I'm excited and it's not even mine :-) 

• Moderators
Wow! When I was in my teens I wanted to be a cabinet maker so I can appreciate the skill your nephew has.

Shaun isn't actually my nephew, he's my best friend (pretty much a brother to me).

• Moderators

19 days till I head to Alabama to pick up my new front cabinet!  Who's excited with me?  :D :D :D

The "sanded" pile is getting big!

custom-cabinet-158.jpg

Here is the "to be sanded" pile.  The entire bottom of the cabinet still has to be sanded but it's mostly sanded already.

custom-cabinet-159.jpg

• Like 1

• Moderators

In making preparations for the trip, I'm borrowing a 20' Enclosed Trailer from a member of our church.  Shaun mailed me a Brake Control that he wasn't using.  So I was talking with my Dad today to see if he knew how to install one.  My Ford Expedition does not have a Towing Package so I would need to run the wiring, buy a 7 Pin Blade Plug for the trailer.....and my Dad offers to make the trip with me and us use his truck that already has the necessary hardware!  Best part is my Dad and I don't "hang out" much and he only lives 10 minutes away. 

So let me put this in perspective.....1st road trip with my Dad + spend time with my best friend + finally get to see this beautiful cabinet in person after 1.5yrs in the making + possibly stop and visit a forum member near Atlanta + take an awesome side road trip to South Carolina (will share that once I get back) + capture highlights from the journey with my GoPro Hero4 + get some cool shots from above with my soon to arrive DJI Phantom 4 quadcopter = ONE EPIC TRIP!

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

Wow! When I was in my teens I wanted to be a cabinet maker so I can appreciate the skill your nephew has.

Shaun isn't actually my nephew, he's my best friend (pretty much a brother to me).

Oops, sorry. I must have misread that somewhere.  Looking forward to seeing it complete.

• Moderators
Oops, sorry. I must have misread that somewhere. Looking forward to seeing it complete.

No problem, you probably got it from 4 posts above that where Ceptorman said.....

Michael, I'm honored.

My nephew is a exceptional woodworker, he makes a lot of entrainment centers, cabinets, and some furniture. I will show him your build, I know he will like it.

• Moderators

It's insane to think about how many of these diamonds that were custom cut.  It's a good thing he can't remember how many hours he's spent sanding them or we might not still be friends.  LOL

• Like 2

Shaun says he loves how these look sanded

custom-cabinet-160.jpg

This is truly impressive! Was this done on a router table? How did he keep the lines straight? I imaging its hard to have a guide with it being so long unless you had a guide run in a previously routed groove?

• Like 1

custom-cabinet-160.jpg

This is truly impressive! Was this done on a router table? How did he keep the lines straight? I imaging its hard to have a guide with it being so long unless you had a guide run in a previously routed groove?

Home made crosscut sled on the router table that is built into the table saw wing.

Long cuts are just using the fence.

Edited by WakeJunkie
  • Like 1