Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators

Staining has begun!

Me: WOW!!!  That looks gorgeous!  What do you think?

Shaun: Love it!  Holly kept saying "that is so pretty"...over and over.

custom-cabinet-166.jpg

custom-cabinet-167.jpg

custom-cabinet-167.jpg

custom-cabinet-167.jpg

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 3

Staining has begun!

Me: WOW!!!  That looks gorgeous!  What do you think?

Shaun: Love it!  Holly kept saying "that is so pretty"...over and over.

custom-cabinet-166.jpg

custom-cabinet-167.jpg

custom-cabinet-168.jpg

custom-cabinet-169.jpg

Pardon my language, but that is frigging amazing work!

Mark

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks guys.  I've always loved the darker colored woods (Cherry, Mahogany).  I'm REALLY glad now that I decided to change it from Ebony to Cherry.  I can't wait to get it installed and pull out my Nikon to get some high res photos of it.  New Video Tour will be in order as well.

custom-cabinet-160.jpg

This is truly impressive! Was this done on a router table? How did he keep the lines straight? I imaging its hard to have a guide with it being so long unless you had a guide run in a previously routed groove?

Home made crosscut sled on the router table that is built into the table saw wing.

Long cuts are just using the fence.

Exceptional job Wake, you definitely have a way with wood.

• Moderators
Just FYI. All the pieces match. Camera phone colors are not consistent with different lighting.

Yeah, plus some I try and color correct but it's hard knowing what the true color is being 600 miles away.  Regardless, you are doing a phenomenal job bro.  Can't wait to hang out with you in a few weeks and see this masterpiece for myself.

Spectacular!  :emotion-21:

You are certainly vindicated on the choice of using cherry, the grain just pops!

One question; you keep referring to "varnish."  I tend to think of varnish as the protective topcoat from the 20th century.  Why didn't you use polyurethane?

I'm not questioning your wisdom or your choice, my knowledge is just short in this area.

Spectacular! :emotion-21:

You are certainly vindicated on the choice of using cherry, the grain just pops!

One question; you keep referring to "varnish." I tend to think of varnish as the protective topcoat from the 20th century. Why didn't you use polyurethane?

I'm not questioning your wisdom or your choice, my knowledge is just short in this area.

I'm using Spar Urethane with a satin finish.

Grandfather called it varnish, Dad called it varnish.....

Poly=varnish in many southern dialects.

Old habits die hard.

• Like 4

• Moderators

I leave for Alabama in 2 weeks to pick up the new cabinet!  This week, I will begin disassembling my current false wall and painting the front wall flat black since the new screen will have the ability to raise up as well as interior lighting to reveal the LaScalas through the AT Screen (not sure how well that is going to work.  Will post pics later this week.

I also have to climb into my attic and run 12gauge Romex from the garage to the Theater Room so we can run a dedicated circuit to the HT for the equipment.

• Like 1