Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

Florida sounds like Missouri. But with beaches and different trees. Humidity sucks!

You are doing the Seymour screen correct? My screen has a black backing that is supposed to improve contrast. Makes sense to me. However with that on the whole lighting of speakers behind is impossible. Prolly won't have it in my next theater room.

• Like 1

Yes humidity does suck.

Yes I have a Seymour AT screen. I think it is white on both sides but I haven't even taken it out of the box since I bought it over a year ago.

yeah it should be. Mine is as well. It just comes with an extra very thin black cloth that you can put on if you want. I chose to since it was supposed to improve contrast.

• Moderators

We ran into a snag....apparently the Stain and Poly don't like each other and if you don't let the Stain cure for a really long time (not sure how long is long), the Poly acts as a paint thinner.  Shaun has done some research and is going to buy something like a clear coat primer to put in between the stain and Poly. 

Sorry YM. It is only my opinion of course. Many people stain cherry dark to cover up the variations in the grain(including Klipsch on the RF7-II family). But natural cherry with a clear coat is beautiful IMO.

Your HT is going to be beautiful. My nephew lives in the Orlando area and if we ever come to visit I hope you will oblige us with a visit/demo.

We ran into a snag....apparently the Stain and Poly don't like each other and if you don't let the Stain cure for a really long time (not sure how long is long), the Poly acts as a paint thinner.  Shaun has done some research and is going to buy something like a clear coat primer to put in between the stain and Poly. 

Oh rats!  I wish I had said something, but you have everything else so detailed and worked out, I never thought that would be a problem!

When I refinished my CF-4's I used stain and then satin polyurethane, but I was advised by experienced forum members to keep all my materials within the same manufacturing family, in my case Minwax. 

The stain supposedly needed 6 hours to dry between coats, I waited 24 hours.  The poly needed 24 hours between coats, I waited 3 days, and then a full 7 days for the poly to harden before I applied the 3rd and final coat.

When I did my latest speaker project with unfinished Baltic Birch wood, I used a pre-stain, then the stain, but this time the stain had the poly integrated.  Two coats in two days and everything looked great.

I've never heard of stain keeping poly from sticking, but I'm no expert either, just a low-level hobbyist at best.  I'm glad you found your solution. 

The finish looks great!

Edited by wvu80

I've always loved the darker colored woods (Cherry, Mahogany).

Just to interject here, cherry is not dark. Just sayin'

Given enough time cherry is dark.

It starts almost a reddish blond but will darken with age with just a clear finish.

When people think cherry they often think of the color of antique cherry furniture which is dark. You are right that new cherry is not dark at all.

• Like 2

• Moderators

Actually, I'm borrowing a 20' enclosed trailer to transport the cabinet. I have 8 thick padded moving blankets as well as some old comforters and blankets that I will use to wrap pieces of the cabinet with. We will secure the items inside the trailer with ratchet straps.