Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

The first part of our journey led us to Superdave's home. Shaun and his wife met us there. Dave is an incredible host. We arrived and Dave blessed us with some incredible hamburgers!

After lunch, he gave us a tour of his absolutely beautiful home. We then headed to the basement for several Dolby Atmos demo. Dave has nothing lacking. Meticulous cable management, beautiful comfy leather theater seats, plush carpet, powerful front sound stage and plenty of tactile bass (no need for bass shakers).

This was my first demo of Atmos and I thoroughly enjoyed it. It wasn't gimicky at all. It added a sense of realism during the rain sequence. I will definitely consider Atmos down the road after I get through a few projects.

I brought the Phantom 4 out to play for a bit before we had to leave. Lastly we met his wife and two children. Truly a lovely family and I'm grateful to have met another forum brother.

Dave, I'm looking forward to having your family over during the 4th of July weekend.

Now we are driving to the hotel. Tomorrow morning, we are headed to meet another forum member.

It was my pleasure to have y'all over, stop in anytime! And the drone is a really fun hobby, think I will get one!

Looking forward to your HT. The pressure is on to get it done, tick-tock, tick-tock...

• Like 1

• Moderators

I'm ready to get loaded up and get on the road.

Dave if you do decide to buy one, give me a call. I'll share with you what I learned from my research. Bottom line I would recommend the Phantom 4 or the Phantom 3 Professional.

• Moderators

On ride back to Daves, We started a to do list

- [ ] Table Saw

- [ ] Oscillating multi tool

- [ ] Circular Saw

- [ ] Levels

- [ ] Tape measure

- [ ] Nail Guns

- [ ] Air hose (Dad has compressor)

- [ ] Nails for air gun

- [ ] Punch

- [ ] Framing Square

- [ ] Speed Square

- [ ] Electric Tool Bag

- [ ] Stale guns and staples

- [ ] Spline tool

- [ ] Sand paper

- [ ] Finish sander

- [ ] Stain

- [ ] Varnish

- [ ] Shalack

- [ ] Pre stain

- [ ] Hammer

- [ ] Flat bar

- [ ] Jig saw

- [ ] Drill and Impact, batteries and charger

- [ ] Sawzal

- [ ] Hammer drill

- [ ] Drill bits

- [ ] Head lamp and charger

- [ ] Gear wrench set

- [ ] Saw blades

- [ ] Tool belt

- [ ] Pencils

- [ ] Plumb bob

- [ ] Clamps

- [ ] Roller stands

- [ ] Hole saw bits

- [ ] Drill bit extender

- [ ] Fish wire

- [ ] Box wire nuts

- [ ] Paint brush

- [ ] Pocket hole jig

- [ ] Safety glasses

- [ ] Combination square

- [ ] Plunge router and bits

- [ ] Drywall Tools

- [ ] Utility knife

- [ ] Extra wood for shims

- [ ] Cat5 crimped and ends.

Supplies

- [ ] Masking in holly's closet

- [ ] Box of "Michaels" stuff

- [ ]

Misc

- [ ] Digital SPL Meter

- [ ] GoPro

- [ ] Few cases of Amp

• Moderators

The build begins tomorrow morning at 7am.  We have no idea how long it will take us to complete the project.  There will definitely be some challenges to overcome as Shaun doesn't remember anything that has been built for the project.  There are no plans, no diagrams....hopefully this build thread will be able to provide guidance as well as problem solving skills. 

Our plan is to begin constructing the bottom shelf, then move upwards to the frame and then the upper portion.  I will keep my DSLR handy to take some photos throughout the process and we are going to attempt to do another timelapse.  I have no idea whatsoever as to how often to set the GoPro to take photos.  I'm guessing maybe 30 seconds?  It's not a big deal if it doesn't turn out...just thought it would be fun to see.

Shaun said he's really surprised that I still trust him with this project...in which I replied, "I still trust you with my life".  It's going to happen and we are both extremely excited to build this together.  Can't wait for you guys to see it.  I likely will not post anything until late in the evenings after he goes to bed so that we can get as much done as possible each day.  Stay tuned!  It's going to be awesome!

• Like 6

- [ ] Stale guns and staples

That might save you some money in the short term, but most people would tell you spend the extra money and go with the fresh guns.  :D

+++

Jes' my way of saying I am following and enjoying the thread my friend, and I read every word.  B)

• Like 3

Truly inspirational,  I love how you guys are taking this head on with no plans, no design, just a will.  I know its going to be  wonderful and cant wait.  Now according to the clock it should be past 7 there, so get to work :P .

Edited by The Dude
  • Like 1

• Moderators

Thanks Dude. There was a plan and a design in Shaun's head prior to the stroke. Shaun has always built things in his head and had the ability to process the necessary steps in his head to make it work. After the strokes, things are definitely much different. He did label some boards to help with the build but some things we are having to figure out as we go.

We just finished visiting W.C. with Panacea Engineering. His showrooms are still under construction but in September, he will have Heritage and Cinema series speakers to demo. We had the privilege of demoing the Golden Jubilees. Wow, what a treat. With (4) 12's in a folded horn, they produced very clean, tight bass. I can't recall the brend or model horn that he used with it but it was wooden and looks awesome. I will post photos of some of his speakers when I can get back home.

That must of been a treat  :)  I have spoken to him on the phone and really enjoyed it .

• Moderators

Yes we did have an awesome time hanging out with W.C. He was incredibly nice and lettuce demo the jubilees as long as we wanted to . He was also a great host as he took us to the aerodrone.

Guys we have made incredible progress today, we started about 8 AM and we are just now taking a break at 6 PM

• Like 2

• Moderators

For some reason my GoPro keeps shutting off saying SD error and I've swapped out the SD card with Shaun's card so it must be my go Pro that is messing up. It's taking some photos but not as many as it should

• Moderators

Today we worked from 8am until around 6pm with only a short break for lunch.  We got a lot more accomplished than I thought we would.  Ran into a few snags that Shaun had to figure out but he did it.  It's 3am but I wanted to share a few photos of our progress before I head to bed.  Going to get up at 7am to work on it some more.

I wasn't able to take a ton of photos of the complete "process" because we are trying to work as quickly as possible so we can get finished within a week.  Also, some photos of the cabinet may appear crooked....I can assure you the cabinet is perfectly straight and level (Shaun is a major perfectionist).  Because my LaScalas and RSW-15's are sitting on my riser, I had to offset my camera for most of the photos.

We started assembling the bottom cabinet.

klipsch-lascala-trio-home-theater-build-

We used a Hammer Drill and large concrete anchors to secure the frame to the floor.

These are the concrete anchors we used.

Support for the back of the cabinet was installed.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 2

• Moderators

Here is the massive aluminum frame to hold my 150" AT Screen!  Holy cow is this thing enormous!  We brought in one of the columns to see how it would look.  When we raised the screen, the frame just barely touched one of the columns.  Shaun asked me to give him some time to think how to fix it.

I step out of the room for about 20 minutes to catch up on some emails and when I come back in, he hands me a 1/16" sliver of wood.  He ended up using a skill saw to hand cut the back side of the column a 1/16th of an inch so that the column would sit closer to the wall and provide enough clearance for the screen frame to be raised without it touching the columns.  Now that was impressive!

There is a latch (similar to a hood latch) installed that allows the screen to be raised for easy access to the inside of the cabinet and speakers.  It is supported by dual gas shocks.

Wooden framing was added to the left and right of the screen that will be used to support the diamond pattern.

This diamond pattern turned out absolutely gorgeous!  I'll get some close up shots of it after we finish the build.

Five carpeted plywood sections are installed to support the LaScala Trio and (4) RSW-15's.  These are just sitting on top of the wooden frame so they are very easy to remove to gain access below the carpeted platform.

The bottom middle section is attached to sliding rails that will support up to 300lbs.  I will finally be able to easily gain access behind my equipment when I need to install or swap out components. 

Well, that's all for tonight.  Will share more pics tomorrow evening.  It's not 3:22am....I have no idea how I'm going to function at 7am.  Haha.

Hope you enjoyed the pics.  I know I LOVE what I'm seeing.  This is turning out far above what I could have ever asked for.  Absolutely incredible craftsmanship.

Edited by Youthman
  • Like 8

• Moderators

Thanks Ceptor. I thought it was going to be difficult to wake up this morning after going to bed at 3am but surprisingly I popped right up at 7am. It probably had something to do with Shaun forgetting that my back door immediately sets off my house alarm. Lol

We are at it again. Will post more pics tonight

• Moderators

To make a better transition from the column to the hand carved leaf piece, we will need to trim 1 1/2" off of the top trim pieces.  We laid them out on the floor to look at what we should trim.  (sorry for the terrible quality...took this one with my phone).

custom-cabinet-196.jpg

• Like 2