Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• Moderators

Popcorn?

If I'm not charging admission, the least you can do is bring the snacks.  I like Snickers myself. 

Beanbag chairs:

The beanbags are awesome if I only had the room.  Wakejunkie has an 8' beanbag in front of their theater seats and they actually prefer to lay on the beanbag than to sit in the chairs.

• Like 1

• Moderators

You are correct.  On the back side of the cabinet, there is a Split Plug. 

The top plug is connected to the Lutron Dimmer that controls the 3 "Reveal" Lights above the speakers.  The LED below the speakers is plugged into this plug.  The three blue lights above the speakers and the LED strip are controlled together by the one Lutron Dimmer. 

The bottom plug is connected to the Lutron Dimmer that controlls the LED around the screen.  The LED around the screen is plugged into this plug.

• Like 1

• Moderators

Yup.  We ran a dedicated 20a circuit.  Lots of outlets within the cabinet. 

(2) for the LED's

(2) for the subwoofers

(2) in the cabinet to connect surge protectors for the equipment

There might be one or two more back there as well.  LOL

(2) for the LED's

(2) for the subwoofers

Just for safety...you might want to check out getting a whole House Surge Protector, and have it installed next to your Electrical Service Panel.

(2) for the LED's

(2) for the subwoofers

Just for safety...you might want to check out getting a whole House Surge Protector, and have it installed next to your Electrical Service Panel.

I had never heard of whole house surge protection. I was surprised that it isn't all that expensive. It does need put in by an electrician I found out. I also found out that more than half of the power surges come from inside the home. In those cases, local surge protectors would be the way to go for delicate stuff. Here is one of the links that talks about inside the house surges. http://www.powerhousetv.com/Energy-EfficientLiving/PowerQuality/028292 I don't know how big of a deal it is really. It seems to me inside surges would be more a power conditioner type job. There are lots of those, but I was told by an old tube guy/computer guru that a high quality UPS with sine wave output is the best you can get. 

Thoughts?

(2) for the LED's

(2) for the subwoofers

I had never heard of whole house surge protection. I was surprised that it isn't all that expensive. It does need put in by an electrician I found out. I also found out that more than half of the power surges come from inside the home. In those cases, local surge protectors would be the way to go for delicate stuff. Here is one of the links that talks about inside the house surges. http://www.powerhousetv.com/Energy-EfficientLiving/PowerQuality/028292 I don't know how big of a deal it is really. It seems to me inside surges would be more a power conditioner type job. There are lots of those, but I was told by an old tube guy/computer guru that a high quality UPS with sine wave output is the best you can get. 

Thoughts?

This is the one i have used for my last 3 homes... http://www.smarthome.com/leviton-51120-1-panel-mount-whole-home-surge-protector-and-supressor.html

• Moderators

You sure have the electrical covered, 2 20 amp breakers for the LED lights.  :blink:  There so efficient, with LED's you could almost make a tanning bed room with 2 breakers. :D  

Just kidding, I don't blame you at all, might as well add it while you were doing it. 

The whole thing is just perfect, great job by everyone. 

Just remembered, I might have missed it.........What does Mrs Youthman think ?

Edited by dtel

• Moderators

There is only one 20 amp breaker and it supplies the entire HT. One of the plugs is "split" so the top connects to one Lutron Dimmer and the bottom connects to another Lutron Dimmer. One is for screen LED and one is for Reveal LED and Flood Lights.

(2) for the LED's

(2) for the subwoofers

Thoughts?

I have one, but my power company installed it.  Its paid for by an extra $6 a month on my electric bill and covers up to $20,000.00.  My step dad has the same one on his house and has filed two claims not costing him a dime.  I still use individual surge protectors/conditioners for each system.

• Like 1

• Moderators
Maybe I have missed it but have you posted any pictures of images on the big screen yet?

No, I have not posted any screenshots.  Not sure why but screenshots don't do much for me.  Probably because it ends up being a black background with an image.  So occasionally I've taken a photo in the dark of the screen image, then a photo with the projector turned off and the lights on and composite the two images.  Unfortunately, that's not an accurate representation as lights on in the room partially wash out the image.  Guess what I'm saying is I've just never been a huge fan of screenshots but would be glad to take some. 

• Like 1

Maybe I have missed it but have you posted any pictures of images on the big screen yet?

No, I have not posted any screenshots.  Not sure why but screenshots don't do much for me.  Probably because it ends up being a black background with an image.  So occasionally I've taken a photo in the dark of the screen image, then a photo with the projector turned off and the lights on and composite the two images.  Unfortunately, that's not an accurate representation as lights on in the room partially wash out the image.  Guess what I'm saying is I've just never been a huge fan of screenshots but would be glad to take some. 

Put in a blu ray and pause it? Use tripod and longer exposure? Higher aperture higher fstop?

Who knows, it might work out.