Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

Maybe I have missed it but have you posted any pictures of images on the big screen yet?

No, I have not posted any screenshots. Not sure why but screenshots don't do much for me. Probably because it ends up being a black background with an image. So occasionally I've taken a photo in the dark of the screen image, then a photo with the projector turned off and the lights on and composite the two images. Unfortunately, that's not an accurate representation as lights on in the room partially wash out the image. Guess what I'm saying is I've just never been a huge fan of screenshots but would be glad to take some.

Put in a blu ray and pause it? Use tripod and longer exposure? Higher aperture higher fstop?

Who knows, it might work out.

it won't though cause one of two pictures happens. The screen is properly exposed and room is dark OR if you set it slow aperture the room looks great but screen will be severely washed out. At least that's my experience.

Then with a trippod take two pictures, one with the screen on pause and one with the screen dark. Overlay the two images so it looks as though the exposure is equal from all sources. Should look like an LCD TV. 

Youth, shoot me both pictures like I said above, and I will photoshop an overlay for you. 

• Moderators

Mustang, that's the exact same process I mentioned previously how have done it in the past. It's kinda cheating but it's the only way to properly expose for the room and maintain the best image on the screen

• Moderators
it won't though cause one of two pictures happens. The screen is properly exposed and room is dark OR if you set it slow aperture the room looks great but screen will be severely washed out. At least that's my experience.

Exactly my experience as well.

Exactly my experience as well.

This is one area digital cameras need to improve on. We have massive amounts of megapixels but the dynamic range of cameras are still frustratingly limited.

• Moderators
So I just spent 2 hours of my employer's time reading MOST of the 35 pages in this thread! LOL

I sure hope your employer isn't a Klipsch forum member.  LOL

Absolutely great job. You've set the bar pretty high! Congrats an one helluva HT build.

Thanks Mike

This is one area digital cameras need to improve on. We have massive amounts of megapixels but the dynamic range of cameras are still frustratingly limited.

I'm not sure cameras will ever get to the point where they can capture two different exposures in the same image.  It's the same when you try and take a photo of someone in front of a sunset.  If you try and capture the beauty of the sunset, th subject will be totally dark.  Likewise, if you expose for the subject, the sunset background will be dark.  The way around this is to add a fill flash for the subject so that both the subject and background have the proper exposure.

So I just spent 2 hours of my employer's time reading MOST of the 35 pages in this thread! LOL

I sure hope your employer isn't a Klipsch forum member.  LOL

HA! Luckily... no one where I work is in to Klipsch and vintage audio like I am. *whew!*

I'm not sure cameras will ever get to the point where they can capture two different exposures in the same image.

Not sure what you're using, but my Nikon D5100 has an HDR setting that will capture two photos (one overexposed and one underexposed) and mesh them together.  Needs to be set up on a tripod to be effective.  My camera is a few generations old now, but i assume the newer ones have that feature as well. 

The next time you want to read a long thread from beginning to end, go to the lower left side of the page and get to CHANGE THEMES. 

Choose Ip.Board Mobile.  It makes those 600 posts threads much easier to read fast.

Then the next time you will only waste an hour of your employer's time instead of two hours.  B)

• Like 2

• Moderators
Not sure what you're using, but my Nikon D5100

Nikon D7100.  I've not shot any HDR photos but even so...the camera still isn't able to take one photo and capture two separate exposures.  The camera is internally doing what I do in Photoshop.

The next time you want to read a long thread from beginning to end, go to the lower left side of the page and get to CHANGE THEMES. 

Choose Ip.Board Mobile.  It makes those 600 posts threads much easier to read fast.

Then the next time you will only waste an hour of your employer's time instead of two hours.  B)

Thanks for the tip. Being that it's Monday, my guilt for this act is minimal. LoLz

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I love how it looks, the whole thing is an amazing job, from start to finish.  I have to say, remember when you were first wondering about trying the LaScala's, and not knowing if you would like them, you could not have imagined your room to be like this today.

Great pics and build! To have a true dynamic range image, 3 exposures are necessary, 5-9 are better. Cameras don't sense in color - they sense in black and white - they will expose to make everything straight down the middle gray. The D7000/7100 are drastically different in the DNR capability than the older generation cameras. I don't think they'll ever be able to grab what the human eye can in one shot, but they will continue to improve. Regardless, there are ways around all the limitations.

...besides, all your photos in this thread are awesome!