Youthman's LaScala Trio Home Theater Build (Version 2.0) Begins!

Youthman

• 2 weeks later...

Hi @Youthman.  We haven't talked since I got back from my trip.

I was going to start a thread on my trip, but it includes so many elements.  The long drive, the pickup of the Rf-83 package, and the trip to visit you.  Finding this thread again solves my problem so I don't end up so scattered in my thoughts.

It was great visiting.  I got to hear the fabled RF-7s in your living room.  They make great stand alone speakers.

But the highlight for me was actually seeing live! your theater room.  As great as your pictures are, it is even better being there in person.  I have never seen or heard such a nice theater/music setup.  To keep from driving too late I budgeted an hour for visiting, but I ended up staying 3 hours, and even then I had to make myself leave to make it to Myrtle Beach just after midnight.

You know what we forgot to do?  Pictures!  Next time.  B)

Thanks for hosting me, I really enjoyed your company. 

• Moderators

@wvu80, it was my pleasure to have you in my home.  You have such a critical ear and a love and passion for music.  Anytime you are down this way again, you are welcome to stop by to say hi.  How do you like the RF-83 system?  As I mentioned, the RF-83's have a very laid back sound.  Some say they do not have the "typical" Klipsch sound.  Just curious what your take is on them.  I always enjoyed them when I had them, but once I purchased the LaScalas, it was just an entirely different experience.

Just now, Youthman said:

As I mentioned, the RF-83's have a very laid back sound.  Some say they do not have the "typical" Klipsch sound.  Just curious what your take is on them.  I always enjoyed them when I had them, but once I purchased the LaScalas, it was just an entirely different experience.

I just started a thread in this Home Theater forum.  I have to tell you, the RF-83's do not sound laid back to my ears.  I am hearing a nice mid-bass slam right in the region I like, baritone and tuba.  They are very well balanced top to bottom, with a big sound stage.

I am still setting them up, but so far I really like what I hear.

• Like 2

Experiencing Michael's theater in person is a treat. He put on a fast and furious movie to demo. When the gunshots went off, the 4 rsw-15 subs felt like cannons. I got a little frightened when cannons came out in the movie. :blink:Those hit you right in the chest when they hit. It was awesome, and I've been trying to figure out how to recreate that feeling with my setup.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • Moderators

I have been so busy lately, I haven't kept my AVS and Klipsch Build Thread's up.  Definitely have had some upgrades to the theater room.

I sold my (4) Klipsch RSW-15's that were approaching 15yrs old and purchased Dual SVS PB16 Ultras.   I loved the output of the my RSW15's but always wanted something that had a bit more depth.

I got a pair of SVS SB16 Ultras in to review and although they were nice, they didn't have the output the RSW15's had, even when doing a 1 on 1 comparison or a 2 on 2 comparison.  I knew it wouldn't be a fair fight if I put all 4 RSW15's up against the Dual SB16's.

I reached out to SVS with my findings and after thinking about it, they realized the RSW15 is more similar to a ported design than a sealed design.  I always viewed them as a sealed enclosure since they don't have "ports".  Learn something new everyday.

So they sent me a pair of PB16 Ultras and oh my goodness.  Talk about impressive.  You guys know how much I love Klipsch but the PB16 Ultra is a beast, not only in size, but also in output, depth and had much more authority below 30Hz than my 4 RSW15's had.

Before sending back the Dual SB16's, I had a little bit of fun with them and decided to stack them behind my 150" screen.  :)

• Like 2

• Moderators

A friend of mine was selling a Denon AVR-X4200W receiver that I thought would be a great upgrade for my son's RF7 II / RC64 II bedroom setup.  My friend said he would sell it to my son for $200 and said he would throw in a Harmony Elite with Harmony Hub with the deal.   NO BRAINER!  My son bought the receiver and let me keep the Harmony Elite and Harmony Hub for the theater room. 

My friend was getting his home ready to sell and while I was there, I helped him uninstall and move his RF7's, RSW15's and RS7's and before I left, he gave me a Panamax 5500 for helping him which was super nice of him. 

Check out the recap video here

• Like 1

• Moderators

A few weeks ago, I decided to begin the rabbit trail of voice automation with Alexa so I pre-ordered the new Amazon Echo Dot.  My Lutron Spacer system does not natively work with it since my current Lutron SPS-600 dimmers are IR based.  I was able to get them to work using the Harmony Hub and an IR blaster inside the cabinet where the Lutron Dimmers are but decided it's time to upgrade to a more modern lighting system.

Looking on Facebook Marketplace, I found a lady that was 2hrs away that was selling 5 Lutron Caseta Dimmers for $30 each.  I ended up purchasing all five for $125 shipped which seems like a sweet deal considering they are $55 each on Amazon.

The Echo Dot is scheduled to arrive on October 11th so my plan is to try and get the dimmers installed by then.

Honestly, I'm really looking foward to being able to walk into the room and ask Alexa to turn on the lights or say, "Alexa, it's movie time" and she sends a command to the Harmony Elite and Hub to turn on projector, receiver, dim the lights etc. 

• Like 3

• Moderators

4 months ago, I purchased and installed 4 Klipsch CDT-5800-C II In-Ceiling speakers to use for Atmos.  Problem is my receiver was an older Onkyo TX-NR5008 (non Dolby Atmos) receiver.  I began researching 11.2 channel receivers since I have found that since I purchased my 3 LaScalas, I no longer hear a difference when using an external amp.

Denon sent me their AVR-X6400H, Marantz sent me their SR8012 and Anthem sent me their 1120.  Before hooking any of them up, I was already leaning towards the Marantz as I had my first experience with Marantz about 6 months ago when visiting a friend's home who had a Marantz Pre-Pro.  Typically when I make a new purchase, I don't like to buy the lowest but I don't buy the cheapest because it typically will lack things I want and I don't buy the most expensive because many times you are paying a premium so the "middle road" is usually more than adequate for my needs.

After several months with all 3 receivers, I chose the Marantz.  It's simply an incredible unit.  Sounds fantastic and has a ton of bells and whistles that I actually use. 

I do like the Anthem but for some reason, it trimmed a LOT of bottom end from my system.  When watching Michael Jackson's "This is It" bluray, I just didn't get that thump in my chest with the Anthem.  I reached out to Anthem and they had me email them my ARC file.  The tweaked it a bit and sent it back.  Their file added a bit more tactile feel but still wasn't the same experience in the bottom end so I felt like I was missing that excitement and energy that the Marantz provided.

Some have suggested they think it's because of Dynamic EQ in the Marantz.  Whatever it is....I REALLY like it.  LOL

Here are two videos I made on the Marantz.

• Like 2