Fostex Tweeters

jcmusic

That Fostex tweeter, along with the other more expensive models, are often used with single-driver, crossoverless systems. There is frequently just a series cap on the tweeter, bringing it in as high, in some cases, as 10khz. There are a number of well-liked super tweeters available.

Just as with anything in this or any other situation where individual tastes and preferences may differ, some like them, others are fine without.

Hi Erik,

I borrowed them from a friend who uses the much more expensive ones, my frequency graph shows some roll off after 10k hz so I want to see if a different tweeter could have an impact on that area. Also I want to try time aligning the tweeter directly above the mid driver and hear what effect that has. These are my reasons for having them at the current time.

I've never used them. Please share your impressions and measurements.

They do look spectacular and would be a great addition to my Fostex FE-103 single driver BR speakers. Instead, I make do with Eminence APT Super Tweeters (aka Crites CT125s w/o the K-77 horns) with baby cheeks lenses. I'm confident the Fostex 90a's are superior, but, for my money, the APTs deliver most of the benefits at a small fraction of the cost. I have them outside the BR enclosures so I too can fiddle with time alignment. So far, I can't perceive any difference.

FWIW, the "single driver" concept has merit. The imaging produced by a pair of Fostex 103s in suitable BR enclosures without crossovers is spooky remarkable, but at the expense of extreme highs and lows. By the time I add tapped horn subs and APT super tweeters, the sound is improved but it's no longer a single driver. Reminds me of the Stone Soup fable.\\

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus

All I can say about Fostex tweeters is get ya some!

Some years ago messing with vintage speakers I came across a good few fostex units. If building or modding a speaker they use to be found farely reasonable in price.

I used them in some vintage fishers. Even tried some with boston acoustics models and a few others when struggling to get prominent high frequency. Best of times to you op!

I've never used them. Please share your impressions and measurements.

They do look spectacular and would be a great addition to my Fostex 103 single driver BR speakers. Instead, I make do with Eminence APT Super Tweeters (aka Crites CT125s w/o the K-77 horns) with baby cheeks lenses. I'm confident the Fostex 90a's are superior, but, for my money, the APTs deliver most of the benefits at a small fraction of the cost. I have them outside the BR enclosures so I too can fiddle with time alignment. So far, I can't perceive any difference.

FWIW, the "single driver" concept has merit. The imaging produced by a pair of Fostex 103s in suitable BR enclosures without crossovers is spooky remarkable, but at the expense of highs and lows. By the time I add tapped horn subs and APT super tweeters, the sound is improved but it's no longer a single driver. Reminds me of the Stone Soup fable.

I will be measureing and trying things out Saturday, I will post my findings and thoughts after.

All I can say about Fostex tweeters is get ya some!

Some years ago messing with vintage speakers I came across a good few fostex units. If building or modding a speaker they use to be found farely reasonable in price.

I used them in some vintage fishers. Even tried some with boston acoustics models and a few others when struggling to get prominent high frequency. Best of times to you op!

Thanks bro i am looking forward to seeing and hearing what they can do!!!

Can I steer the thread to another fostex tweeter :)

I am on the verge of buying the fostex t500amkII. However, on this forum, there are some messages from years ago about their dispersion characteristics being narrow and not fitting to khorn.

I have heard a lower model and it was very good. It was not on my own system. My system consists of v-trac horns with 2" mouths, bms 4592nd-mid drivers and I have Greg's Volti T1 tweeters. I know we are not able to hear much over 16khz but I have listened to supertweeters and they do make a difference. This I confirmed with a blind test on my own. So I do not have hang ups about that.

Has anyone actually tried the t500amkII here with their horns? Is it really problematic, or are they really that good? (there are some people worshipping these)

ps. I have messaged Erland, I hope he contributes to this thread as he is an owner of a pair of t500amkII's.

Edited by kodomo