Fostex Tweeters

jcmusic

Ok here are the final measurements for the fostex tweeters aligned with mid drivers. I am thinking I may have to bump up the mids in the xover and then turn up the subs to have a better balance but, I actually like the sound right now as is. it can be a little too hot with some music may installing some tweeter attenuation will be the ticket!!! The red trace is with the APT200 tweeters installed in the khorns on the side of the vtracs. The other trace is the fostex tweeters on top the korns vertically aligned to the mid driver.

post-18877-0-91100000-1407608273_thumb.j

Ok here are the final measurements for the fostex tweeters aligned with mid drivers. I am thinking I may have to bump up the mids in the xover and then turn up the subs to have a better balance but, I actually like the sound right now as is. it can be a little too hot with some music may installing some tweeter attenuation will be the ticket!!! The red trace is with the APT200 tweeters installed in the khorns on the side of the vtracs. The other trace is the fostex tweeters on top the korns vertically aligned to the mid driver.

Looking at your plot and going by your comment of a "little too hot" my instinct would be to attenuate the tweeter.....

miketn

Edited by mikebse2a3

Hi Mike,

Well they can be with some music not all though, I like to hear the crispyness in most music I just don't like it over done. Some music it can be a lil too much this is a work in progress but, so far I really like the results...

Jay

Hey Jay

I've really enjoyed reading and following your progress with your system/room.

The midrange level looks good in the plot and that's the reason I suggest you attenuate the tweeter. I assume the plot you posted is an on-axis response and it looks pretty good but as you said the tweeter is about 5db hot on axis but depending on the polar response of the tweeter and the room acoustics the best perceived level might require less than 5db reduction.

Variations of recordings in the midrange and tweeter ranges can make voicing the system difficult and it becomes very easy to fall into the trap of manipulating the midrange and tweeter levels only to find they are being used as a type of tone control and depending on how you set them some recordings will audibly improve only to find others have become worse. Basically tweeking the midrange and tweeter levels is like shooting at moving targets(recordings) so the best you can achieve is to use the best quality recordings you own and let that be your reference along with your measurements.

Once the system is properly balanced the real problem is easily revealed to be the total lack of standards of the recording industry that we have to live with. That's why I have implemented an optional tonal balance program in my DSP active system (which is very intuitive and easily adjustable by ear) that I couldn't imagine not having available when needed with some recordings.

miketn

Edited by mikebse2a3

Mike,

I agree with you on the good/bad recordings, I have the Tape Project Master tapes to use as reference for sound quality and tonal quality. My goal is to try and achieve a balance in the system so that most of the music I listen to sounds good. It seems like it never ends but hopefully I am getting close...

Jay

• 1 month later...

Anyone here have any personal expirence with these tweeters? The 90a's are of specific interest.

I'm very familiar with them....I use them with my Cornwalls.  I have them blended very well with my Corns - you will need to build a crossover with a L-pad for them! I love mine - adds an airy quality to my Corns without being fatiguing.  

• 1 year later...

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but my aftermarket ALK xover is crossing @5800.

The T90A recommends crossing @7000+

There's also the T925A which recommends crossing @6000+

Are you still happy with your Fostex, and do you know what it's being crossed at?

Did you seat the tweeter directly on the high hat, or did you boost it up a bit?

I have the 2" fastlane horn so I wouldn't need to slide the Fostex as far back as I would with the stock horn, but I would still think there's gonna be some undesirable reflections if I don't give it more clearance.

On 8/30/2016 at 8:31 PM, Wynnytsky said:

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, but my aftermarket ALK xover is crossing @5800.

The T90A recommends crossing @7000+

There's also the T925A which recommends crossing @6000+

Are you still happy with your Fostex, and do you know what it's being crossed at?

Did you seat the tweeter directly on the high hat, or did you boost it up a bit?

I have the 2" fastlane horn so I wouldn't need to slide the Fostex as far back as I would with the stock horn, but I would still think there's gonna be some undesirable reflections if I don't give it more clearance.

Yes I am still very happy with the Fostex tweeters, I have custom built xovers and can't remember the exact number for where they are crossed over... The tweeters are sitting in the stock cradle that comes with them from Fostex, and that is sitting directly above the mid driver on top of the cabinet. I am happy with the sound and have not tried changing anything...

• Like 1

• 9 months later...