Reference Soundbar w/Wireless Sub

billybob

Well, I found a cut sheet for the R-20B sound bar system.  If you compare this to the Klipsch Icon SB-1 system, the two appear to be virtually identical - same frequency response, same driver configurations and materials, virtually the same dimensions.  The SB-1 omits Bluetooth (which is something I'll never use) and is one pound lighter -- likely due to the fact that it has removable cloth grills versus fixed metal ones.  I actually prefer the silver logo graphics on the SB-1 to the copper-colored ones on the R-20B in this case.  The R-20B does appear to have a nicer-looking remote (not one of those crummy credit-card remotes like the SB-1 has).

I'm guessing the R-20B will have an MSRP of at least $699 ($799 is probably more likely), so given the fact that the SB-1 is on closeout for $400, I think I'll go with that instead.

I hate to be overly pessimistic, but this again seems to be largely a case of Klipsch re-packaging an Icon speaker and re-badging it as a Reference speaker.  Oh well - it doesn't matter to me; the Reference R-10B is great, and I expect the SB-1 (with a bigger subwoofer and four vs. two midrange drivers) to be even better.

Edited by Schwa

Well, I found a cut sheet for the R-20B sound bar system.  If you compare this to the Klipsch Icon SB-1 system, the two appear to be virtually identical - same frequency response, same driver configurations and materials, virtually the same dimensions.  The SB-1 omits Bluetooth (which is something I'll never use) and is one pound lighter -- likely due to the fact that it has removable cloth grills versus fixed metal ones.  I actually prefer the silver logo graphics on the SB-1 to the copper-colored ones on the R-20B in this case.  The R-20B does appear to have a nicer-looking remote (not one of those crummy credit-card remotes like the SB-1 has).

I'm guessing the R-20B will have an MSRP of at least $699 ($799 is probably more likely), so given the fact that the SB-1 is on closeout for $400, I think I'll go with that instead.

I hate to be overly pessimistic, but this again seems to be largely a case of Klipsch re-packaging an Icon speaker and re-badging it as a Reference speaker.  Oh well - it doesn't matter to me; the Reference R-10B is great, and I expect the SB-1 (with a bigger subwoofer and four vs. two midrange drivers) to be even better.

I was kind of expecting this myself. If the 20 ends up being $2-300 more than the 10, I'll probably just go with the 10.

^^

Unless you gotta have Bluetooth, non-removable metal grills, or copper-colored graphics, get the Icon SB1.  I received mine today.  It has the EXACT same power supply (same model number even) and remote (literally one has silver graphics, one has copper graphics) as the R-10B.  I was playing the R-10B pretty loud last night and it wasn't distorting, per se, but it was audibly compressing.  At the same volume level, the Icon SB1 didn't do that...likely because of the bigger subwoofer and the additional drivers.  It's the same size as the R-10B too; actually I think all three of 'em are pretty much the same size.

The best part -- the SB1 is $200 less than the R-10B...never mind the R-20B.