Queries about lower end models

Thejtl

hey all, after reading through some of the forum maybe I'll get flamed for asking, but I'm currently shopping for new L/R fronts for my modest HT and I came across the new lower end Reference models at BB the other day. I know, I know, BB is what it is, but There are literally no hi fi shops within 2-3 hours of me, so I gotta work with what I gotta work with; trying and returning gear is a big part of how I outfit my stuff, so I tend not to order online.

I read through the 9 page thread on the new Ref line and while there was a lot of interesting discussion, there wasn't much in the way of experiences with the new speakers.

Here's my situation/setup:

60" sharp LED, Yamaha RX-V675 receiver, and currently B&W 685s as front L/R, a Yamaha center that's about 9 years old, Paradigm Atom rears, and a new Klipsch Icon 8" sub that I got cheap on clearance.

I've been fiddling with my system recently because I just haven't been in love. I do some gaming, casual TV watching (sports during football and basketball season) and stream movies and TV shows. I don't do as much music listening in this spot as I'd like to, mostly because I have a recording studio and like listening there better. I'd like to have something comparable in the media room.

The room is about 12x20 and the system is set up at one end along the long wall. I'll put up a cruddy picture to give you an idea of the set up.

I thought about going more minimalist so I tried the Sonos Playbar and that was OK, but not comparable to my current set up. Still, the B&Ws did seem to be filling in the sides in a satisfactory way. I know that wall mounting isn't ideal for any speaker, but it was an attempted compromise with the wife.

I returned the Sonos and saw the brand new Klipsch Reference series on display. Since it's completely impossible to demo anything in a Best Buy I decided to grab the R26F models and try them in place of the B&Ws. The results are definitely fuller, but I worry that I'm trading down and will be unhappy after the honeymoon period wears off.

I really wanted to get the R28s (8" woofers) but was afraid to try to stretch the budget that far (although I did buy the demo sub that put the cost up there anyway). They also had the Icon KF-28s on clearance, but only one speaker. I could drive to another BB 45 minutes away and get them, but I'm wondering how the Icon series compares with the new Reference models. I'd also be curious to know if anyone with a set up that's the next tier above the new reference/Icon series has had a chance to listen to the new speakers and has any thoughts on how they compare. Also, should I live with the 6.5" R26Fs for a bit, bite the bullet and go for the 8" speakers? The icons are actually cheaper on clearance than the R26F.

As much as I'd love to spend more, I can't. Any input would be really appreciated.

Edited by Thejtl

• Moderators

Welcome to the forums Thejtl!

hey all, after reading through some of the forum maybe I'll get flamed for asking,

Don't worry, we don't flame new members....we have a 1 month rule before we can do that. :lol:

I have not heard the new Reference Lines but am familiar with the previous RF-62 vs RF-82. I was fortunate to be able to design a custom website in exchange for a new pair of RF-83's so I went that route before recently purchasing a LaScala Trio.

My room is very similar in size to yours at 13' x 19' with 10' ceilings. Take a look at my Build Thread in my signature and just scan through the photos starting from the last page and going backwards and you will find PLENTY of photos of my room. The photos in my Photo Gallery aren't as up to date. In general, the larger the speaker, the bigger the sound will be and the better performance you will experience. We all have budgets that we try and work within and there is nothing wrong with that. You just have to determine what is pleasing to "your ears" because at the end of the day, our opinion does not matter.

Give a listen at Best Buy and give us your thought, keeping in mind what the speakers are being powered with and the noise background level that may color your listening experience. Let us know your opinion. As with all new product, we need listener's opinions until reviews can be had.

Welcome!

• Moderators
My question is this: , or stick with the B&Ws and tweak my placement.

Sorry, I forgot to answer this question.....

I have owned several B&W speakers DM601, DM602 S3, DM604 S1 and DM604 S3. At one point, I was leaning towards the B&W for my 2ch setup because the DM604 S3 sounded very smooth and had a good amount of bottom end even at low volume. The problem was when I cranked them up, they definitely could not compare to the clarity and tight bass response of the Klipsch Floorstanding speakers I had.

I have not heard the B&W 685's but I do not expect them to perform as well as the R-62F speakers. A quality floor speaker typically provides much more presence. I in no way think the Klipsch would be a step backwards to your setup.

I recommend checking out Bose. Their theatre in a box is unmatched. With that bose name you can never doubt that your getting a quality product. I would lean towards at least the acoustimas 10, but the lifestyles are GREAT if you can flip the coin. Once you go Bose, you wont even consider another product.

So what's the break-in period like for Klipsch in general? I did some A/B listening last night between the B&W and the R26-F and at first it felt like the center was disappearing from the Klipsch when I was sitting in the listening position. But then I turned them in a little and the center seemed much more solid. Wondering if I should also consider break in before passing judgement?

I'm also curious about 8" vs 6.5". I recently went from 6.5 to 8" in my recording studio and the difference was pretty significant. Would I possibly see the same kind of jump in the HT? I initially worried the 8" speakers in my space would be too overwhelming, especially since I was going with an 8" sub. I'm not a huge bass head. I prefer stuff to sound natural, especially when listening to music.

• Like 1

As for Bose, I did listen to the Cinemate they had at the BB and it sounded good on display. That's one thing Bose does really well, they display well in stores and I think it pays off for them. When it comes to my use, I worry that the Bose HTIB would sound too processed for my listening taste when it comes to music.

I wanted to run through the two different Klipsch floor standers they had in store, but the BB display was messed up, so I had to buy sound unheard. Not that it would have done any good. I've been in daycare centers that would be better for listening when compared to a BB.

• Like 1

Not sure what you payed for them but unknown for sure you didn't get cut a deal at best buy cause they just don't do that. My suggestion would be to take em back get your money back and call mike at acoustic sound design and buy the rf-62ii they are a step up in this new "tier" thing they are doing. Call for pricing and you will see what you can get. I know it's not picking up local. However no tax free shipping and higher speaker line makes it a no brainer for me.

• Like 2

Not sure what you payed for them but unknown for sure you didn't get cut a deal at best buy cause they just don't do that. My suggestion would be to take em back get your money back and call mike at acoustic sound design and buy the rf-62ii they are a step up in this new "tier" thing they are doing. Call for pricing and you will see what you can get. I know it's not picking up local. However no tax free shipping and higher speaker line makes it a no brainer for me.

I was going to say the same thing. If you like what you hear then buy online. No tax free shipping and 30% off retail is going to kill anything bb offers.

• Like 1

Just got a price from Mike. $749 shipped, which is probably less than what I paid at BB after tax.

Let me play devil's advocate here, though. I just went to the Klipsch website and looked at the specs for the two models. Slight differences here and there.

The low drivers for the RF-62II are Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers , while the R26F are Dual 6.5" (16.5cm), copper spun magnetically shielded IMG woofers.

The high drivers are 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90 x 60 square Tractrix Horn compared with 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 90° square Tractrix® Horn

Peak power is not different by much. Crossovers are different by 300 Hz. The R-26 weighs about 8lbs less and is 1 in shorter, a little narrower, and loses a couple inches in depth. Sensitivity is the same.

Now, I'm no acoustical engineer, and terrible at math, but on paper the two speakers seem pretty similar. All told, maybe the differences make a big difference, but I'm just curious, how much. I 'd be interested to know what folks who know these speakers well think about these specs in comparison.

• Like 1

I recommend checking out Bose. Their theatre in a box is unmatched. With that bose name you can never doubt that your getting a quality product. I would lean towards at least the acoustimas 10, but the lifestyles are GREAT if you can flip the coin. Once you go Bose, you wont even consider another product.

I just about died laughing when I read this. Kudos! :lol:

Edited by IbizaFlame
  • Like 1

I'm assuming it was a joke, but hey, I'm new here.

I'm fairly new too, but I can only assume it was. I wouldn't recommend a Bose product to my grandmother, let alone a fellow audio addict.

I heard the 26's and 28's at Best Buy and wasn't really that impressed as I stated in the other thread, but I understand the soundfield is not optimal and the system was certainly no 130 WPC amp. You might be able to dispel all of my doubts! I'd say if your store still has some icons on discount, that might be my choice though. That's just me.

Just got a price from Mike. $749 shipped, which is probably less than what I paid at BB after tax.

Let me play devil's advocate here, though. I just went to the Klipsch website and looked at the specs for the two models. Slight differences here and there.

The low drivers for the RF-62II are Dual 6.5" (16.5cm) Cerametallic cone woofers , while the R26F are Dual 6.5" (16.5cm), copper spun magnetically shielded IMG woofers.

The high drivers are 1" (2.54cm) Titanium diaphragm compression driver mated to 90 x 60 square Tractrix Horn compared with 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 90° square Tractrix® Horn

Peak power is not different by much. Crossovers are different by 300 Hz. The R-26 weighs about 8lbs less and is 1 in shorter, a little narrower, and loses a couple inches in depth. Sensitivity is the same.

Now, I'm no acoustical engineer, and terrible at math, but on paper the two speakers seem pretty similar. All told, maybe the differences make a big difference, but I'm just curious, how much. I 'd be interested to know what folks who know these speakers well think about these specs in comparison.

One of the biggest differences in just the specs alone you pointed out is a titanium tweeter vs. aluminum tweeter. I've heard many experts (I am not one) say that in just about every situation, titanium is better. Then couple that with the horn it's paired with.

Then outside from just the specs you mentioned. I believee Klipsch uses some higher quality components internally that you would never see, but differences you certainly might be able to hear.

P.S. Specs really don't mean much coming from the manufacturer

Edited by johnnydrama
  • Like 1

Yeah, I don't use specs as anything other than one small way to compare. Ultimately, it's the collection of all the elements that make the difference. Aluminum vs. titanium, a few hertz here or there, different internals--that could all make a huge difference. I wish I could have both to compare. But alas...

• Moderators
So what's the break-in period like for Klipsch in general?

I've never bought into the "break-in period" myself. Crank em up from the day you buy them and they will sound great.

it felt like the center was disappearing from the Klipsch when I was sitting in the listening position. But then I turned them in a little and the center seemed much more solid.

In my experience with Klipsch, the louder you turn them, the better they sound. Are you running a dedicated center or are you using a phantom center with only the R26-F

• Like 1

• Moderators
I wish I could have both to compare. But alas...

Where are you located? Who knows....there might be a forum member close by that would let you stop by and take a listen. I have had several forum members over to my home over the past few years. Really enjoy the fellowship and connecting with others that have like interests.