Texting and driving problem. Is it the worst distraction yet?

JL Sargent

As Larry and others have said texting requires you to leave your line of sight for far too long and I agree Dee it is the worst driving offense out there today out side of impairment by alcohol/Drugs! I'm a firm believer in vehicular manslaughter as well, nothing like a 3000 pound killing machine at 80MPH :wacko:

By the way I'm pretty sure this was the guy who died on I-40 over here not too long ago, they have been working on both I-30 Little Rock to Texas and I-40 Little Rock to Memphis since I moved here back in 1997 and they are both notorious for taking lives, 50% or better have been big rig accidents as well.

Edited by kaiser SET say

I used to talk on my flip phone while I drove every day. I never felt that safe when dialing, but after it was OK.

When I got an android I stopped completely. I drove outside of my complex on a small side strett and tried to dial on the touchscreen for the first time. With nothing to feel you have to look at it. I almost ran off the road at low speed. From that day on I realized how dangerous touchscreens are when driving. We had oen accident inside of the complex. Short distance and took out a decorative wall in someone's yard. Another local girl was texting while driving an ATV and died.

Bad stuff and really dangerous. Much more so than everyone seems to think.

I don't think it's any worse than putting on make-up, reading a book, shaving, or any other ridiculous activity I see people doing while cruising at 80MPH.

Yes, I seen a lady get a ticket for farding in the car. She was leaning funny in her seat.

Edited by derrickdj1

I ride a motorcycle a lot, and the crazy people not paying attention scare me sometimes. I'm always on high alert while riding, and I've seen a lot of terrible driving.

Just the other day I saw I guy texting while driving....

A MOTORCYCLE!

I once seen a lady in a mini van driving down the highway with the newspaper draped over the steering wheel. I slowed to parallel her when I saw this. She was looking hard at the paper for over 30 seconds before she looked up and saw me shaking my head... This was in regular traffic!

I gotta hand it to her though... She never swerved out of her lane. lol

While I do agree that driving and talking on the phone can be done safely, some people behind the wheel act like they dropped acid as soon as they put the phone on their head. With that, this should not be allowed either IMO. 99.9999999% of the time, it can wait anyways.

Yes, I talk and drive...

Edited by paul79

• Moderators

It is a big problem which will probably somewhat fix itself (like the pic) but sadly take a few innocent victims along the way, especially when is seems so many appear to enjoy tailgating no matter the speed.

We drove about 2000 miles last week and seen some crazy stuff. I like the look on there face when you pull on side of them at a stop and they give you a look like mind your own business, I like to roll down the window and ask , want to pull on the side and talk about it jackass ? Had one guy thought he was tough and said something smart back, I quickly opened the door like I was going after him, his attitude changed quickly as he hurried off.

I will probably get a ticket for road rage of these days.........

I'm firmly against texting and driving, but see no problem with facebook, email, or pandora.

Haven't verified this; but, was told (at least here in California) that the wording of the law only mentions texting…not any other application on the cell phone.

Heard on the radio news a few months ago about this guy in the south…not only was he texting while driving (with his kids in the car) but, he was having two separate text conversations on two separate phones. Don't think those mad skills are going to impress the judge though.

I'm firmly against texting and driving, but see no problem with facebook, email, or pandora.

Haven't verified this; but, was told (at least here in California) that the wording of the law only mentions texting…not any other application on the cell phone.

Heard on the radio news a few months ago about this guy in the south…not only was he texting while driving (with his kids in the car) but, he was having two separate text conversations on two separate phones. Don't think those mad skills are going to impress the judge though.

Just so it's clear - I was being 100% facetious.

Just so it's clear - I was being 100% facetious.

yes i understood that…although not exactly the model for a forum moderator in training :D ….however, the law in california (if true as told to me) is worthy of mocking…i'm not a Facebook or twitter guy…but, i'm guessing that it is probably just as distracting. However, that begs the question…do we have klipsch forum members that check the klipsch forum while driving?

Edited by BigStewMan

• Moderators
The laws should ban phone use while in forward/rearward motion of any kind.

Yes but even better than a ban would be for new cars to have a device that jams signals when a car is in gear, but trying selling that idea.

Co-worker of mine was about 250 lbs or so (he was down to that from 370)…he's driving the work truck. Window down and arm resting on the door. He's holding a cheeseburger in his left hand as he drives. He hits a pothole and the truck bounces like crazy, bouncing him up off the seat, he drops the cheeseburger out the window. there is cop close behind and he gets a ticket for littering. He goes into court and says, "your honor…take a look at me…do i look like a guy that would throw away a perfectly good cheeseburger?" The judge laughs but finds him guilty citing that the cop was an eyewitness. He didn't text the story or anything…i just wanted to tell you.

Edited by BigStewMan
  • Like 2

The laws should ban phone use while in forward/rearward motion of any kind.

Yes but even better than a ban would be for new cars to have a device that jams signals when a car is in gear, but trying selling that idea.

Please put that idea in the Garage Sale section please. Thank you.

Edited by BigStewMan