Problem with promedia 2.1

Markahm494

I need a little help and was wondering if anyone here could offer some advice.

I was loaned a promedia 2.1 for a while and fell in love with it right off the bat. Today though something happened. I had the speakers plugged into my laptop while watching a movie when suddenly the speakers started buzzing loudly. I quickly unplugged the speakers from the laptop which stopped the buzzing and after a second I plugged it back in. I immediatly noticed the speaker with the volume control wasn't working.

When I first examined the volume control speaker I unplugged the audio plug from the back of the speaker and saw a spark. A few seconds later I could smell an electrical smell, not really a burning smell, more ozone-y. The volume controls still worked fine though and still had an effect on the working speaker and the sub.

I switched the speaker connections on the back of the sub around and determined I was getting no audio off the left speaker side. Strangely though the speaker without controls worked fine when plugged in the right side feed but the speaker with the controls only had a functioning tweeter.

Opened up the control speaker and again had the smell (caught up in the padding stuff I'm guessing) but could see no signs of problems.

Opened up the sub and could see nothing obviously wrong. Fuses are ok and no obvious signs of shorting. One circut board does seem a little discolored but not badly. It's the circut board at the top to the left of the blue cylinder things.

All other external wires seem fine.

Tested the speakers on another audio source but still had the problem.

Any advice would be most welcome as that I don't really have the money to replace the speakers and the owner, my father, isn't the most forgiving person. He still hasn't exactly forgiven me for wrecking his car when he loaned it to me 20 years ago.

I had issues with my Pro Media too. Seems that the volume control module has some issues. I still get crackling every now and then after I had Klipsch replace the first one, but it's better. I'd call in and see about having the controller replaced, as that is the most likely culprit. The issues I had were primarily an issue of low volume on one side.

Do you get stereo audio if you use the headphone jack? Like if you plug in headphones do you get stereo sound through the headphones, or no?