Custom Installers and Klipsch

Kevinicus

I can understand this I plan to have the theater and the next house mostly done when having the house built so I can just go in put my speakers in place and hit the on button. My theater had a ton of it done by me and although it came out nearly perfect (im meticulous with paint and details and wiring) It took me nearly 6 months of working every sat and a few nights in the evening after work to get it finished. I’d like to have a builder do the work next time for me or in your case a contractor etc. That being said when it comes time to handling the projector/speaker/amps etc I don’t like people touching them and I’ll be putting those in myself

• Like 1

Thanks for the input Gary,

I am pretty sensitive with the unmasked areas. I've been in a couple of theaters now one with masking, and one without (and this one had 2:35 playing at the smaller size some of the time), and it was very noticeable to me every time. The girlfriend not so much. But at $250 or $350, depending on which screen I go with, I think it's definitely worth it for me. I'm only worried about the two "main" aspect ratios. I know I'm lumping in everything from 2.35 to 2.40 into one group there, but the size difference between them is small enough that I'm okay with it. I'll have a Lumagen for the shifting aspect ratio movies, and I don't care about 4:3 at all.

When a movie uses a mix of aspect ratios and some do not fill the screen from top to bottom, the empty space does bug me. This was the case with The Grand Budapest Hotel, in which "common height" was impossible, and the widest format used (~~2.35) was smaller in area than the middle one (1.85). I simply love 2.35 filling our entire 2.35 screen, so I was dissappointed that TGBH was that way. I wonder if it used the full width in the prints that went to the commercial movie theaters.

Well, I've pretty much exhausted all of the installer options in the area.  I've had a few more e-mails with the one installer and he now seems resigned to the fact that I'm going to use the equipment I want and may or may not get it from him.  He really seems like the only one that has much of a clue.  From everything I can gather, he seems like the only one that is taking the right approach to doing a theater.  At least outside of pushing certain brands, but it's possible he really does like them.  I did find posts by him on AVS from 2006 or so where he mentioned he liked TruAudio.  I have been contacting local contractors to try and guage their prices for construction, and have only heard from one so far.  His rates ($55 to $85 per sqft) would be a lot more than what i'm looking at.  I have a feeling that may be high though considering where the room is starting and the area.  

Has anyone ran into an issue with having to install an egress window to meet code when doing a HT in the basement?

Some codes require 2 ways to escape a room, in two different directions -- a good idea.

Find out if the local code will allow a many layered 3/4 plywood/insulation wool opaque "window" that seals with a good gasket and swings open to reveal a regular double glazed openable window behind it. 

Normally stocked double glazed windows aren't very good at preventing midrange from going through, and near total failures at preventing bass transmission. 

If you can't get an adequate window, consider a second door, if it will fit (i.e., some daylight basements don't have enough height above gound).  Acoustically sealed solid core doors with dense air tight dampers are available, but they cost an arm and a leg, and sometimes two, with an air lock, are needed.

Tell your installer you will be creating 115 dB peaks (normal full scale for bass), and ask him to provide TL data sheets for "windows" in the bass frequencies, say 20 -- 250 Hz.

There was a good book on DIY building a home recording studio by Jeff somebody (Cooper?).  He did home studios for several film directors and groups, and you can bet they didn't have much leakage.  Much of this stuff should be available online, but your installer has probably done that legwork (fingerwork?) for you already.

Edited by Garyrc

Has anyone ran into an issue with having to install an egress window to meet code when doing a HT in the basement?

It all depends on your local building codes. Around here, only bedrooms require egress windows, not family or living room areas. The windows have to be a certain square foot size, for a fireman to escape with a survivor. 

Some codes require 2 ways to escape a room, in two different directions -- a good idea.

Find out if the local code will allow a many layered 3/4 plywood/insulation wool opaque "window" that seals with a good gasket and swings open to reveal a regular double glazed openable window behind it. 

Normally stocked double glazed windows aren't very good at preventing midrange from going through, and near total failures at preventing bass transmission. 

If you can't get an adequate window, consider a second door, if it will fit (i.e., some daylight basements don't have enough height above gound).  Acoustically sealed solid core doors with dense air tight dampers are available, but they cost an arm and a leg, and sometimes two, with an air lock, are needed.

Tell your installer you will be creating 115 dB peaks (normal full scale for bass), and ask him to provide TL data sheets for "windows" in the bass frequencies, say 20 -- 250 Hz.

There was a good book on DIY building a home recording studio by Jeff somebody (Cooper?).  He did home studios for several film directors and groups, and you can bet they didn't have much leakage.  Much of this stuff should be available online, but your installer has probably done that legwork (fingerwork?) for you already.

The window wouldn't have had to be in the HT room, just the basement.  But I have checked the code and am fairly certain our house would be exempt from the requirement.  

Good day sir,

As previously stated, your instincts are on point, a salesman or installer will almost always try and get you to buy their product. I happen to own a THX ultra2 system which "MichaelandKlipsch" turned me on to and OMG it's the best I've heard. Now I'm partial to Klipsch and have invested quite a bit but they're freakin awesome, you just won't be disappointed.

I had the same experience with installers but luckily I have a great friend who's in the process of helping me with my new HT (see my gallery) and I decided to do all the work myself. I do agree with a previous callout, post your location and you may find someone local who can guide you or make a great recommendation or help install.

• 4 weeks later...

Well, things certainly haven't progressed as much as I would have liked, but they are about to.  I had decided I was going to go ahead and use the installer I had talked to, with the understanding that I would make the choices on equipment, not him, and was about to pay his depost/design/spec fee but he went out of town to a convention and his communication got spotty after that and we never got the payment arranged.  In the meantime I was talking to other contractors and determining what my options were for managing things myself and hiring people for different parts of the project.  Not many of them impressed me, and I was about to go back and hire that installer (whose communication has improved a little) until the last 2 contractors came out.  The first seemed fairly experienced, at least in basic theater construction, and gave me a lot of confidence in my ideas for the room.  He seemed like a real straight shooter who wouldn't BS or try to screw me over.  The 2nd is my gf's cousin.  He does a lot of this work and also seemed capable.  He had some ideas I shot down, but they weren't necessarily bad ideas, I had just already considered them.  I am still waiting on an estimate from the first, but the cousin gave me an estimate (for labor of the construction only) which was way less than I expected and really made me re-evaluate my thoughts of going with the installer.  Now I am trying to get HVAC guys out to figure that aspect out, and I really think I'm going to use the cousin.  If I go that route, I'll probably be hiring Nyal of Acoustic Frontiers to do my layout and acoustic design for me, and then I'll get things rolling with the cousin.  I think it's very likely I'll also do most of the AV wiring myself since it is pretty straight forward.  I'll still have to hire an AV guy to setup a control system for my equipment and lighting, but I think I've got that narrowed down to a couple guys as well.  I've got two HVAC guys coming out tonight, and I need to get talk to Nyal, but I hope to make a firm decision this weekend about if I will go with my gf's cousin and Nyal (leaning this way) or with the installer.  

I also ended up purchasing some of my audio equipment already.  Due to a major change in my design of the space, in-wall speakers are out, and I'll be building a false wall to allow speaker placement behind the screen.  A local guy ended up selling me his used JTR setup (3 Noesis 228s, and 2 Captivator Pro subs, as well as a pre-amp and amp for the subs).  I am also on the verge of purchasing 4 Klipsch KPT-8000M speakers to pair with them as my surrounds.

I already tore out the ceiling in my basement and got all that put in bags, just to see what was up there.  I'm going to end up moving a wall back to allow me to have a wider space.  That will really help with walking aisles when I have columns built (that will hide the KPT-8000s). 

Got my KPT-8000's ordered and should be receiving them tomorrow.  Got them for a pretty good price.  I think overall I've spent about $1100 more on audio than I had budgeted, but am getting a lot more value.  No in-walls, and much better subs than what I was going with.  The basic layout of the room is pretty much locked in, just have to figure out some exact dimensions for first row seating, riser height, and screen size (determined by seating).  I have decided that I will not be using a local installer, and the construction will be done by my gf's cousin.  I am going to hire Nyal to do my acoustical design and treatment plan as well.  I've started looking at different carpets to make sure I am prepared when the time comes.  Hoping construction starts in November.  In the meantime, I have some more demo to do.