Belle placement?

jimjimbo

Without getting into an enormous amount of detail about my listening space, just suffice it to say that it is ok, not great, not terrible, approx. 18 ft. (system wall), by 20 ft. Fair acoustics.

Wondering what has been other Belle owners experiences and advice about room placement. Against the wall, off the wall (and how far), toed in or not, etc. etc. Appreciate any offerings. Thanks!

I always found off the wall and toed in was best, (I was a sucker for good 3d soundstage) and if I moved the speakers off the wall and toed in just right I would get a very wide deep soundstage. Sounds from well behind and outside the speakers themselves...................

I'm really interested in Belle specific tips and tricks/advice, due to the nuances of their construction and components.....

I'm wondering what specific nuances you are considering when you say that they will be affected differently than most any other normal front firing speaker?

I am curious...

klipschorn, okay... I can see what you are saying, but the Belle is similar to other models.

that being said, usually toe'd in with the axis just behind LP... and definitely off the wall, but I had to draw the line for myself at about 10" or so.

Edited by Schu

I assume that you're talking about imaging or perhaps bass extension? Getting reflective objects closer than 3-4 feet out of the way (including between the speakers-but not smooth walls), and toeing in to the listening position are big deals. Pulling the speakers out into the room will lose you 1/2 octave of bass response.

Beyond that, remaining issues usually can be found in pictures.

Chris

Edited by Chris A

Since they are so similar to a La Scala I will chime in. I found a noticeable increase in bass when placed into a corner (toed in). I also raised mine 4 inches as well which brought the tweeter up to ear level and improved imaging.

If you want to go further than room placement and acoustic treatments - try looking at the EQ/crossover info found in this thread: https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/123370-settings-for-tri-amping-an-82-belle-with-an-active-digital-crossover/

Since they are so similar to a La Scala I will chime in. I found a noticeable increase in bass when placed into a corner (toed in). I also raised mine 4 inches as well which brought the tweeter up to ear level and improved imaging.

I'm in agreeance with the rise of the belles ...

Alot of folks don't toy with height placement due to the sheer size and weight of both the scala and the belle , but it can really pay dividens depending on seating position and room treatment's .

As always , experiment untill you find what works best for your own setup , thats half the fun of this hobby :)

Cheers : Dale

IME, tow-in is a must, especially with the speaker spread you have. I agree with Chris about the bass sacrificed by moving them off the wall (in addition to what's lost if they're not in corners) and I hear a marked improvement when there are no obstructions between them. Toe-in also helps eliminate early side wall reflections.

As Tom and Jake mentioned, I also find the listening experience is enhanced if the tweeters are at ear level or a little higher. However, if the speakers are raised and have a cavity beneath them, a great deal of low bass is lost that way too. This is documented in a Dope from Hope. Depending upon room setup, it's easier to just arrange to sit lower for serious listening. It's certainly easy to invest a couple of hours to experiment with all this and see what you think yourself. Heck, that's part of the fun.

Enjoy,

Mike

• Like 1