Heresy for DJ use?

Stevie Cee

Hi, does anyone know if a pair of vintage heresy speakers would be suitable for DJ use at a very small venue (max 80 capacity)?

I mainly play old soul, funk and jazz music from vinyl and I want to try and make the event as 'audiophile' as possible.

I did read somewhere that Heresys are a bit lightweight on bass, but I don't know how true that is? I also wondered what the best overall set-up would work best?

Perhaps Klipsch Forte might be better?

If anyone has any experience, ideas or opinions about this I would love to hear what you have to say.

I live in the UK (London) - not sure how relevant that is!

Steve.

Stevie Cee,

Welcome to the forum.

Hi, does anyone know if a pair of vintage heresy speakers would be suitable for DJ use at a very small venue (max 80 capacity)?

I have heard that Heresys are often used in those applications, especially the pro versions. This link may help in that matter.

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/142445-professional-equivalent-to-the-heresy/

I did read somewhere that Heresys are a bit lightweight on bass, but I don't know how true that is?

No lightweight on bass, just lightweight on low bass(- 50Hz). The Heresys midbass punch is highly regarded for it's speed and accuracy.

Bill

A Heresy based system would be excellent for DJ use in industrial livery. I would recommend the KLIP protection and using an excellent subwoofer system for bass below 50 Hertz with them. A radio station I engineered for used a single Heresy for remote broadcasts powered by a Gates tube mono amplifier coupled with a Russco turntable console with a mixer and two Russco Cue Master turntables with Gray 108 tonearms and Stanton 500 AL cartridges, Tapecaster Cart machines and an Ampex 600 reel to reel machine. This remote rig sounded great.

• Like 1

• I used to attend a drama camp where there were night dances with very loud, clear sound. They used two Heresies to fill a huge hall.

Crossing over to a good sub -- or pair of subs -- at about 80 Hz would help the dancers feel the beat more. Some bass (kick) drums have a lot of output as low as 60 Hz, where the Heresey gets iffy. In a SFSU recording class we could strengthen the bass drive with boost as low as 40 Hz.

There used to be a loft in NYC with a Klipschorn in each of 4 corners, with McIntosh amplification. Incredible!

• Like 1

I'll add to the general answer which seems to be they will be very challenged without a sub and some protection.

Years ago I had an ear opening experience. I took some non-Klipsch speakers which were about the size of Heresy (but no horns) to a school cafeteria. In a living room they were fine, but in a larger room they were anemic.

The club room you're talking about is probably equivalent to five domestic living rooms, if I had to guess. So that is a challenge. Part of it is size (cubic feet) and part of it is just the range to the listener.

You'll have to get them up on stands and that will kill bass.

Modern pop music really demands a lot of power and bass.

Assuming the audience is drinking they tend to get loud and then you'll wind up with quite a noise floor to get over. Maybe things in London are not the same as here is Chicago (ahem) but I think you'll find that if you get powered up above the crowd's level of "conversation" they just talk louder.

I will guess that Forte will be a little better but there are still the issues above.

WMcD

Edited by William F. Gil McDermott

" I would recommend the KLIP protection and using an excellent subwoofer system for bass below 50 Hertz with them."

The KLIP will work better with a 211-2 bulb instead of the 200Ω resistor, and it will not protect the K77 tweeters, only the newer ones.

100hz~150hz works much better for a crossover point, 50 hz is too low.

Edited by djk

I mainly play old soul, funk and jazz music from vinyl and I want to try and make the event as 'audiophile' as possible.

I did read somewhere that Heresys are a bit lightweight on bass, but I don't know how true that is? I also wondered what the best overall set-up would work best?

Perhaps Klipsch Forte might be better?

If anyone has any experience, ideas or opinions about this I would love to hear what you have to say.

I live in the UK (London) - not sure how relevant that is!

Steve.

Yes indeed!

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122518-using-my-la-scala-for-school-holiday-party/#entry1354136

https://community.klipsch.com/index.php?/topic/122518-using-my-la-scala-for-school-holiday-party/#entry1354141

Rick