Titanium Diaphrams...

SWL

Anybody that's on the fence about installing Ti diaphragms in Klipsch speakers, do it! The sound will be better. Even better with a good tube amp!!!

Sorry, but I'm going to disagree with that, and I realize the subject is totally subjective. I've been down that road already, and IMHO they were not at all a compliment to my Cornwalls, using ALK xovers. They were absolutely harsh, and looking at Deans post directly above, I think he pretty much nailed it.

There's just something characteristically unpleasing, to my ears, when using them. I find that when I listen to hard rock that annoying quality is less obvious, but it's still there. Once you're ears dial into it, you can't shake it.

Edited by Gilbert
  • Like 1

It's not blatantly at the front of things, but it's noticeable on just about everything, except bombastic HT material, which does a good job of masking it, while letting it strut its stuff -- intense transients and dynamics.

You have finally put words to my thoughts.

• Like 1

I use them in a KLF-30 that is often described as leaning towards the bass being more prominent and the mids being a bit more recessed compared to Heritage.....which is why I like the KLF-30/20. In addition I add EQ in the digital domain and I think (I know) that's why it works for me.

If I were to use ti-mids in a Heritage speaker run flat with no EQ or any type of tone control or room treatment I'd probably run for the hills. Deano's post make total sense to me in that reguard.....but that's just me. However, their are more than a few out there that find Heritage too forward in the mids to begin with so I don't doubt the ti-mids would compound that.

If you are careful when you remove the passive the gasket can be reused.  Remove all of the screws holding the passive to the speaker cabinet. You will need to lift the passive driver out of the cabinet.  To do this, use a flat screw driver and place it very carefully between the bottom rim of the metal passive basket near one of the screw holes. With a wash cloth folded under the screw driver (use it like a wedge to protect the cabinet) carefully pry up.  The passive basket should release with out much force. Remove the passive, and then carefully remove the gasket either from the cabinet or the passive.  You are now on the slippery slope in search of the perfect sound.  Welcome to the madness.

Good Luck and enjoy.

yes thanks -  i am concerned for a few things -  first -  what if i dont even have one there now -   i have no idea what i will find when i take it off - and two  -  i will be doing this with the speaker in the upright position -  i am not looking to move it on its side or face down etc, -  i know it may be easier that way etc, -   but for me -  trust me - it wont be easier to do that way -  i am not able to move that thing around at ease -  and the less it gets moved around the better -  less chances of it getting damaged -  in my household -     so   i am told its not a heavy passive overall - compared to the active driver -   shouldnt be a huge problem to do it this way -    i was just looking for something to have on hand for the gasket in the event its not there or if i feel i need to replace it -  i rather have  something at the time -  and if i dont use it - thats fine - 

http://www.parts-express.com/parts-express-speaker-gasketing-tape-1-8-x-1-2-x-50-ft-roll--260-542

i found this now - and maybe i can get something at home depot that can work -  what do you guys suggest thats easy to use - to put on and take off again if needed - 

thanks

it looks like not alot of user really like the Ti mids -   i may be have jumped the gun too soon -   i already purchased them and since i did -  i might as well finish what i started and use them -  i will give it some time to adjust - both parts and my ears -    worse case -   i chalk it up as a loss and a lesson -   

i found that in my place -  things are on the warmer side from the start -  i have room treatment - area rug - fabric recliners -  window curtains  etc, -  since i added those over time - i noticed the sound changed to much warmer flatter duller somewhat -    and  my solution to tailor it to my liking was to adjust my exciter to add more top end - mid etc,    so i favor a little more forward in your face sound  in general - the bass is there - 

now will this make it over the top even for me -  maybe it will be -  or maybe i just may like it -  it may just even out in my place -  you have to consider everyones tastes and rooms are different -     but i am sure there is a limit to how different it can be before its just not pleasant to listen too -    that limit is different for everyone -

now i may have not jumped into this if i had known so many didnt like it -   but i did already so - i might as well find out myself -    i will be adding new x overs from Bob and his tweeter -  i am not adding the bandpass roll off etc, -  it was a choice i decided to do with out at least till i give it enough time to break in and settle down and then decide then -    if i dont like it for some reason -  i can either have bob make me a roll off for it -  and see how that works -   

its a gamble i started and i see if it pays off one day -   i would have never known if i never started to read around on here and found out about this Mid Ti  -    double edge sword -     in the end - its more about the work to do it over if i really dont end up liking it -    thats what i hate the most -  to have to open it again to either add something or change it out etc, -     beside the money of course -   :)

Samantha you can purchase the Ti diaphragms at Simply Speakers. They're in stock now.

Here's a simple band pass you can add to the midrange circuit:attachicon.gifimage.jpg

you can call klipsch and get the original parts from the factory as they also have a great warranty and technical support to boot -

Edited by Randyh

The CT125 runs a Phenolic diaphragm and also has ferrofluid in the gap. I found it to be an excellent sounding tweeter in my Heresy. Best regards Moray James.

Love the sound of the CT-125's.

Is there a similar replacement for the HII's?

If not I may just go with the Crite's Tites.

Bill

The CT125 runs a Phenolic diaphragm and also has ferrofluid in the gap. I found it to be an excellent sounding tweeter in my Heresy. Best regards Moray James.

Love the sound of the CT-125's.

Is there a similar replacement for the HII's?

If not I may just go with the Crite's Tites.

Bill

[/quote

Modified the K79 is a very fine and smooth sounding tweeter when used with the titanium diaphragm. I uses dynamat to damp the motor assembly and the pole piece then I dam the pole with layers of F-11 acoustical felt. I also damp the butterfly assembly (with dynamat) which protrudes from the motor where the terminals are as it make a lot of noise. I also apply dynamat to the back side of the horn lens. Modified like this the tweeter is very smooth effortless relaxed and open sounding.

I ran electrostatic loudspeakers of assorted typed for almost 25 years and the modified K79 with the ti diaphragm in my system is often compared as ESL sounding and I woulds agree. Best regards Moray James.

PS: please note that if quality aluminum diaphragms were available for Klipsch tweeters and mids I would be using them in preference over titanium. However that is not the case and the ti diaphragms are the best alternate to phenolic when the ti parts/motors are modified.

Edited by moray james

i finally got it done -   here are some pics -  forte II with bobs x over - tweeter and Mid Ti -    i just did it last night - i havnt really listened much - but i dont see any problem with the Mid ti -     i was nervous hearing alot of Neg. about the Mid Ti -  after i already purchased them -   so wasnt sure what to expect but i am OK with it  sounds very good to me   in my place -    -  

its eary on -  cant say till i listen more - but so far - i like what i hear -   i have them direct mode -  no processing - no EMO EQ - no exciter -  and yes i can hear the Mid a bit more forward -  but not to where i dont like it -  the bass handles it well and balances it out - 

so for now  first glance at this - i have to say - i like it so far -   here are some picturespost-26590-0-77530000-1422149274_thumb.jpost-26590-0-95250000-1422149290_thumb.jpost-26590-0-46850000-1422149300_thumb.jpost-26590-0-57090000-1422149314_thumb.jpost-26590-0-47650000-1422149334_thumb.jpost-26590-0-47650000-1422149334_thumb.jpost-26590-0-67410000-1422149347_thumb.jpost-26590-0-62370000-1422149359_thumb.jpost-26590-0-91970000-1422149369_thumb.jpost-26590-0-24690000-1422149380_thumb.j

• Like 2

Titanium has a fingernails across the chalkboard quality. It's not blatantly at the front of things, but it's noticabable on just about everything, except bombastic HT material, which does a good job of masking it, while letting it strut its stuff -- intense transients and dynamics. Like many other noise related artifacts, it's subtle, lurking deep in the background, never letting you forget it's there. Once you notice it, it doesn't let go -- until you change drivers. I love the sound of phenolic and some of the newer composite materials. Aluminum sounds really good to me, but I've only heard it operating at 1.5kHz and up, with paper pulling midrange duty. Anyways, I'll trade the teeth gritting effect for the slight lack of detail and the bit of warmth you get with the heavier material.

Exactly!

Edited by LarryC

I can say this much about the Mid Ti and tweeter etc,  -   to my ears - in my place - which is more on the warm side - with the wall treatment and Area rug - fabric recliners etc, -   

it sounds just fine in my place -  what makes the most difference now in my system is the quality of the music -  if its crap music or quality is low -  bad recordings -   then it will sound worse - alot worse than before -    but if you play any clean quality recording -  it will sound that much cleaner - detailed and i dont feel it has that chalk board finger nail sound -   but if i did hear that -  i would change them out also -   who wants that 

there is not wrong or right about anything -  if it sounds bad to your ears - then its bad for you -   -  what stands out is the small details more and the bottom end dosnt over power the top -    

i was nervous doing this because of reading all these Neg. ;posts about them -   got me concerned -  but i had them already and i wasnt going to turn back  till i heard it myself -   its still new to me -  but i didnt hear anything that would make me consider changing them -  

forget about HT - or other types of music that is just noise or dance music etc, -  even Heavy metal -   i wouldnt use those types to show off the system etc, -   those types of recordings are usually never clean quality music to begin with -    

i am sure i will run into a song or two or recording which is low standard or over processed from the start when recorded and yeah - i am sure it wont sound great on those few i run into -     i dont think any system will sound great all the time with everthing you play on it - 

a friend purchased a set of Polk speakers - Rti 9 i think - not sure -  they are impressive to look at -  and he took them home hooked them up and guess what -  he didnt like them -  - after hearing my RF 82's -    he heard the polk once and took them back -   he came home with the 82's and then later got the forte II  also -   and never looked back at anything else  after i got him hooked on Klipsch -  

he did his upgrades also on the Forte II -   but back then i didnt know about the Mid ti and he didnt either so he got the Mid from Bobs - 

his sound great also -  now mines sounds great -  they both sound great to me -  but now i found i didnt have to add any EQ or exciter and i still hear them clear and detailed more than before which i had the exciter on to bring it out more -   knowing me -  i am sure i will play around with the exciter later on -  its a human thing -  and why not -  thats what this hobby is all about -   enjoy it - play around - try different things - new things - old things - what ever -  as long as it keeps you enjoying it -   i have always liked classical violins etc, - and still do - but as of late   - the saxophone really shines on the forte II  -  and the vocals -  very nice -  really all instruments are present -   all that is needed is a quality clean recording - 

i guess there is no right or wrong etc, -  its your personal taste -  everyone has different hearing also -  i know for a fact that i myself have a good ear but i am congested alot also -  so that affects it -   when i clear up and my ears open up -  for that time - i can hear so much more -   just dosnt last :)

the speakers sounded very good before and they sound just as good now plus a little more detailed on the top end -  thats all -  nothing too drastic i think -    

bottom line i think it comes down to the quality of music -    who ever is thinking about it -  i say - if you like the sound now - then leave it alone - but if you are changing them anyway or they need to be replaced if broken etc, -    i say give it a shot and see how you like them -   if you are  a person who seems to want to adjust your EQ or always looking for a little more on the top end -    then i think you will like them -   

• Like 1

Titanium has a fingernails across the chalkboard quality. It's not blatantly at the front of things, but it's noticabable on just about everything, except bombastic HT material, which does a good job of masking it, while letting it strut its stuff -- intense transients and dynamics. Like many other noise related artifacts, it's subtle, lurking deep in the background, never letting you forget it's there. Once you notice it, it doesn't let go -- until you change drivers. I love the sound of phenolic and some of the newer composite materials. Aluminum sounds really good to me, but I've only heard it operating at 1.5kHz and up, with paper pulling midrange duty. Anyways, I'll trade the teeth gritting effect for the slight lack of detail and the bit of warmth you get with the heavier material.

Exactly!

Well, to each his own.  That is why there are more flavors than vanilla!  Expresso, glad to hear you are happy with the upgrade.  Keep your phenolic diaphragms in case you want to revert, or if you ever decide to sell.

Best regards,

John

• Like 1

I took some time this past weekend and removed the ti mids and the band pass from my KLFs.  I don't feel like I have lost anything in anyway.  I do believe the ti tweeter is a significant upgrade to the poly that came stock.   No doubt there, however, I am curious how phenolic would sound in the tweeter vs the ti.  If I was to do this all over and provide advice...

In the KLF upgrade to phenolic in the tweeter ($18 each), and leave the mids alone.  Between the ti mids and the band pass, I am into this just shy of $300.  My Cornwalls were $500 and a much better investment in my very humble opinion.