Speaker Build - Ampsandsound/Fastlane/ALK

jmcox00

I'd like to share with forum members a set of speakers that were recently put together for me by Justin Weber (ampsandsound.com) - and post a couple pics. The final specs were as follows:
Woofers - Eminance KappaPro 15C 15"
Mids - Fastlane Audio Eliptrac 400 with B&C DE85TN 2" compression driver
Tweets - Fastlane Audio Contrac - T with B&C DE10 1" compression driver
Crossovers - ALK AP12-500 and ALK ES5800
Cabinets, assembly, and overall "generalship" from beginning to end - Justin Weber
Overall this was such a terrific experience that I want to give a shout out to all three guys (Justin Weber/ampsandsound.com - Dave Harris/Fastlane Audio - Al Klappenberger/ALK Engineering). Communication was great, and their advice was (I believe) spot on every step of the way in putting these together. Dave's speakers and Al's crossovers are nothing short of works of art (note the pics below). And Justin is a great guy who really knows his audio . . .and . . . .is a total perfectionist. I think I got lucky to have this team on the project. Justin has some really sweet looking hand crafted tube amps that I have my eye on now as well, but I guess that's another story for another day.
Thanks to Justin, Dave and Al.

post-58735-0-80680000-1407114874_thumb.j

post-58735-0-44400000-1407114896_thumb.j

They look like they sound good.

A couple of things though...

That doesn't look like the best place for a turntable....one a wire shelf so close to the speakers is just asking for feedback problems...

Seems to the speakers shouldn't really be on a wire shelve either....speakers of any kind should be on something solid and not prone to vibration.

Edited by Sprags

Hi Sprags, thanks for the comments. It is a bit difficult to see in the photo but the wooden turntable shelf is mounted directly to the wall and actually isn't touching the wire shelves, but an inch or so above it. You know I have been thinking about getting a vibration isolation pad for the speakers - one suggestion to me was "Charcoal Firm Foam". Any experience with that, or an alternate suggestion?

ChuckAb3 I mostly play vinyl, and they're an outstanding pairing with the best pressings. Big soundstage, detailed, but without losing musicality. Lots of energy. The crossovers for the mid/tweets (the ES5800) has the capability to effectively dial the tweet up or back according to your preference. I dialed it back a bit as to my ear it was a bit overwhelming and forward at a mid setting. But, nice to have that option. I've only had them for a little while, but did put on a Leonard Cohen album that really digs low and it presented that beautifully without effort. As far as price, what I have in these is a lot less than I would spend otherwise for anything near to comparable - and with a lot more input along the way.

• 2 weeks later...

And, they're pretty efficient also (98db), so feeding them with a sweet low power tube amp is appealing. In light of that I've been talking to Justin at Ampsandsound about his hand built amps and subsequently just picked one up. Just now starting with some trial runs and a little tube rolling - but already I'm pretty much blown away with the warmth, soundstage and even detail. I'll post on the amp later.