KLF-20 setup

Most likely buying a pair of KLF-20s tomorrow (if no one manages to get to the sale before me!) and I'm curious, I just heard my friends KLF-30s and they sounded harsh on the high ends, without turning the volume up "too" loud at all. He just bought them as well and hasn't fine tuned his settings yet, so I guess this is a post from the both of us since I obviously don't want the same issue with my possible 20s. Could this be solved by simply changing the amplifier settings? Or does this require some modification / seem typical of the KLF series? I've heard such good reviews and have heard (other) KLF-20s myself before and been very impressed and not noticed this before, so the harshness of these 30s is confusing to me.

Also, would you guys recommend a sub with the KLF-20s? I won't have the money for any nice sub upgrade anytime soon but it's definitely something I'm thinking about for the future, assuming i do get the 20s tomorrow.

As always, thanks for the help! Learning new things everyday from this forum.

KLF20 and KLF30 were shipped stock with shiny black poly tweeter diaphragms in the K79 tweeters. These poly diaphragms are by far the worst Klipsch have ever used. They need to be replaced with Bob Crites titanium diaphragms. Contact Bob they are inexpensive and very simple to install. The ti diaphragm takes these speakers to a whole different level of performance. If you have a good amp and source and you position them well I doubt that you will feel the need for a sub. You should take a rubber mallet with you and a philips (star) screwdriver set. Remove the woofers and whack (tell the owner you will just tap then whack anyway) all around the baffles (from the inside of the cabinet)front and back. If the adhesive joint has issues you will hear and feel the baffle is loose and it will vibrate. Use this information to get a much better price. Buy the speakers and repair them. The KLF20/30 are excellent speakers and worth a full rebuild. You will end up with superb speakers well worth your time and effort. There are lots of mods that can be done to these speakers if you want to extract more performance. Hope this helps, best regards Moray James.

PS: welcome to the forum.

Edited by moray james