NEED a nice set of vintage speakers

rbaumer

i have a 1965 fisher 500c receiver and a kenwood kd-5070 turntable... i am looking for a nice set of vintage speakers to compliment. i have done some digging on the internet and the klipsch fortes seem like a good fit... anyone have other suggestions/advice and/or something for sale?

• Like 1

It would help if you post your location, this way members local to you will post offerings. Most vintage Klipsch speakers would be too expensive to ship. Fortes are excellent speakers & would match up well with your equipment. Welcome aboard.

• Like 1

Rbaumer,

Welcome to the forum

Take a look at these. The ad says Chorus I's but photo looks like forte's but they look too large for forte's. Maybe a Chorus I/Chorus II combo with passive woofer on rear and exponential midhorn.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/ele/4605473441.html

Either way, worth a look.

Bill

Edited by willland
  • Like 2

Rbaumer,

Welcome to the forum

Take a look at these. The ad says Chorus I's but photo looks like forte's but they look too large for forte's. Maybe a Chorus I/Chorus II combo with passive woofer on rear and exponential midhorn.

http://bloomington.craigslist.org/ele/4605473441.html

Either way, worth a look.

Bill

Those are Forte I (Chorus I has the similar looking midrange horns, but is front ported and the Chorus II has a bigger (taller) midrange horn).

Forte are great speakers. What size room are you putting them in?

Edited by opusk2k9
  • Like 1

Those are Forte I (Chorus I has the same midrange horn, but is front portes and the Chorus II has a bigger midrange horn).

The picture makes them look a little larger than forte's but my mind may have just been distorted because of the Chorus I suggestion.

Price is pretty good for Chorus I's but a little steep for forte' I's.

Forte are great speakers.

Yes they are.

Bill

• Like 1

Looks to me like the first picture (with grills) are Chorus I (as the boxes behind indicate).

However, the second photo without grills are Forte I (the Chorus I would have 2 port holes on the front of the speaker).

Worth giving him a call.

roughly 15' x 25' (i am guessing)

You might want Chorus II, Cornwall or La Scala (Belle if you can find them) for that size of a space.

I love the La Scalas, but might need a subwoofer depending on the music you listen too.

• Like 2

Looks to me like the first picture (with grills) are Chorus I (as the boxes behind indicate).

However, the second photo without grills are Forte I (the Chorus I would have 2 port holes on the front of the speaker).

Worth giving him a call.

roughly 15' x 25' (i am guessing)

You might want Chorus II, Cornwall or La Scala (Belle if you can find them) for that size of a space.

I love the La Scalas, but might need a subwoofer depending on the music you listen too.

• Like 1

Tell "the curly headed one" that Neil says hello.

Make sure you get an injection to protect you against total Heritage infection. Colter is definitely a carrier of the disease. If you drive over in a truck, you'll probably leave with Khorns, MCMs or the like. You're best bet is to drive over in a Fiat 500, if you don't have access to a Harley.

Edited by DizRotus
  • Like 1

Those are Forte I (Chorus I has the same midrange horn, but is front portes and the Chorus II has a bigger midrange horn).

The picture makes them look a little larger than forte's but my mind may have just been distorted because of the Chorus I suggestion.

Price is pretty good for Chorus I's but a little steep for forte' I's.

Forte are great speakers.

Yes they are.

Bill

i texted the guy and he replied that the speakers say chorus on the backs... he sent me a photo of the backs, i cannot read the tags but there is no passive subwoofer, if that helps to identify them

Definitely Chorus I then, still good speakers. They don't go as low as the Chorus II (45 Hz vs 39 Hz)

You might want to ad a sub at some point to these speakers (most of the vintage Klipsch), especially if you listen to mostly Jazz or Classical.

Colter can point you in the right direction. Careful though, once he turns on the La Scala, it is hard to give up that great midrange horn.