Electro Voice Eliminators?

The original Eliminator bass horn is a W bin similar to a Lascala bass horn, a little larger, goes lower, and has less distortion than the Lascala. The big advantage is that it was designed so that it could be cut out with a Skil saw. Two of these bins with one JBL radial horn per side could rattle your teeth when used for PA.

The 8HD mid horn is an 800Hz horn and in the case of the Eliminator, it did not have the benefit of being mounted to a solid, flat baffle. Therefore the low midrange performance suffered considerably compared to the 400Hz mid horn of the LaScala. Also, it may have been convenient to mount the mid horn and tweeters in the mouth of the bass horn, but there had to be a lot of modulation of the high frequency content by the lows. That can't be good.

Also, it may have been convenient to mount the mid horn and tweeters in the mouth of the bass horn, but there had to be a lot of modulation of the high frequency content by the lows. That can't be good.

No technical problems with the horns' location - sound waves pass through each other without effect. I just don't understand why they didn't locate them higher so the horns would line up better with the listener's ears.

• 1 month later...

My friends these are not the Eliminators I speak of. My fault, they are the Eliminator i

How about this style $_57.JPG

Well the first set I was looking at feel through, no big deal.

So I was on the Craigs List the other day looking for stuff I don't need, you got it...........came accross another set. So I called my man and had a good chat about audio stuff. He was a pro-audio sound guy and new quite a bit. He was out of the buisness and was clearing out a bunch of stuff.

So my wife and I closed the shop early, and took a drive to PA. It was about 1.5 hours, not to bad. We got there and down to the basement we go. Well he did have a good bit of gear, just one set of Klipsch some kg-4's. He told me he did own some LaScala's, KLF's over the years and did like the Klipsch sound

So we powerd up the EV's with a Caver TFM-35x he had hooked up. Listend to a few songs with about 30 watts hitting them. "OK" good sound but if you guys have read my posts you know I'm into my Chorus I's Chorus II's and my KP 362's pushing them with over 300 watts of Carver power. So I said let's get that Carver working. The TFM-35x is rated @ 250 watts and he put that to them-and some..........Well let me say..........WOW........ Hard hittin chest thumpin all the way. I like em, so did the wife.

The price was $300 for the pair, both were in great shape. Not all beat-up like most used pro-gear. So the deal was done.

The Carver was also for sale but I passed on it. But I did spot a nice Crown 1010 amp. It looked really nice, 275 watts 8 ohms. So yea I snagged that for $150 bucks.

Well to sum this up the EV's with the Crown amp are a great combo, imho. Now I'm not here to wave the EV banner.......cuz......this is the Klipsch forum and I do LOVE me some Klipsch, I just think me and the wife did good.

Let's face it my Klipsch friends when you can tell your wife we are closing the shop early, driving 100+ miles, spending $450 bucks on audio equipment and she likes it........it's good no matter what you buy :-)

Take care all Mark.......

• Like 2

The original Eliminator bass horn is a W bin similar to a Lascala bass horn, a little larger, goes lower, and has less distortion than the Lascala. The big advantage is that it was designed so that it could be cut out with a Skil saw. Two of these bins with one JBL radial horn per side could rattle your teeth when used for PA.

Always thought they sounded pretty good in the right setting.

tc