How do Forte II's compare to KG 5.5's?

jimjimbo

a two way KLF20 or if you like louder a two way KLF30 or a CF3/4 but it really helps to get on axis to the horn when listening so a KG style set up with the woofers under the horn. two tens(stereo)will push the same amount of air a 1.5 x 12" driver. What do you have in mind? the bigger the horn the better. I have had success with Karlson K-Tubes and right now I like them more than the horns I have used. multiple smaller drivers have better power handling run pistonic to a higher frequency have smoother response at an past crossover but they will cost you more. Best regards Moray James.

Edited by moray james

My limited opinion on KG.5.5 being still new to me is, although it has been sought after for rock music speakers, in my understanding, I can imagine them in a somehow more refined role as a classical presentation of music, although they really do stand up and hoot with some blues, rock. That is maybe how the narrower width versus depth seems to come into my imagining it. A part of it's maybe(?) intended role, as part of a surround setting in a 5.1 system.

The Forte II it seems to like it all to me,classical,whatever. Others who haved owned these 2 lines longer are able to dissect the reasons more, and have formed some opinions of their own.

• Like 1

A quote from an old audio review regarding 3 way vs. 2 way horn design. I tend to agree with this reviewers assesment.

Here’s one thing I’ve noticed about horn speakers. Because the efficiency is so high, it’s much easier to use the drivers out of their normal operating range without causing over-excursion problems. This is why you’ll find so many two-way horn designs. You can push most tweeter horns so that they work down to around 2Khz, and keep the frequency response fairly flat. Unfortunately, this results in a less than pleasant off-axis response at higher frequencies. The horn problem most people refer to as "honking" is most obvious with two-way horn designs, and I’ve never liked them because of it.

When the engineers at Klipsch were designing the Tractrix midrange horn that is used in the Forte II, they found it could be used up to 20Khz if they played with the EQ on the driver. They didn’t do so; instead, there is a separate tweeter horn for the very high frequencies. Limiting the bandwidth used for the midrange horn lets it cover a horizontal area of 60 degrees smoothly while controlling the vertical coverage for better integration with the other drivers (see Tractrix Horns in the March 1991 issue of Audio for information how the Forte II was created). The fact that the midrange is so well designed is the primary reason this particular model sounds so much better than the other speakers I’ve heard from Klipsch, or from any other horn manufacturer for that matter.

Best regards,

John

I think only the KLF-10 is two-way. Aren't the 20 and 30 three-way?

Anyway, I'd vote for Forte II by a slim margin, but it really depends on the type of music you listen to. I've heard both and like the way the KG's bass sounds on more modern metal and electronica

• Like 1

Thanks, Sancho,

Thought I was experiencing a "senior moment" when I first mentioned that . . . .

Prolly someone is confusing them with the Epic CF Series?

The two-way Epic Series CF-4 floorstanding loudspeaker was first introduced in 1994 and manufactured by Klipsch until 1996.

Again, Bold, italics & underline mine, from:

http://www.klipsch.com/cf-4/details

cd406478e84fbfa35d8a69e2d34fe2ea_6350422

Sorry had a senior moment as well. I was confusing the Epic & KLF series.

Best regards,

John

It's OK; had to look myself...good thing that boy of mine went to sleep & let his Senior dad (I'm old enough to be his granddad) get on a PC, instead of this iPhone.

Don't have any phone service on it for the last year & a half.

• Like 1

Funny! And of course, the truth is that the Epic CF-3/4 and the KLF 10/20/30 ALL are wonderful speakers. That said, think I'll have one more "little" swallow of sour mash and call it a night! 'Til tomorrow.

Edited by JiminSTL

Will amend the earlier comment with the follwing repair. The Nak has introduced the watts that were needed to convey the bass as well as the other parts of the KG 5.5's which I had been considering keeping. Yes, there is a very nice and pleasant presentation to my jaded ears, at times past. Can now say, can confirm the presence of some bass authority and dynamic.

• Like 1