How do Forte II's compare to KG 5.5's?

jimjimbo

Hey John: the mid horn in the Forte ll Chorus ll Quarter and some pro Klipsch is a very nice mid horn I agree it is also a really solid wall mould more than double the thickness of the mid horns in the KLF series. I structurally reinforce my KLF horns and then I also damp them with Dynamat. This has a big impact upon how they sound. The mid horn in the KLF20 is a horn which is used as a tweeter in some of the Klipsch Pro models I would say it as a better design due to its wider bandwidth but the thin wall construction knocks it down a notch. With help it can be a superb horn for its size. The CF3/4 horn is large and even better I think of it as a poor mans K510 but it too has thin walls and can used some help. If you remove either of these horn and place them outside of the cabinet then all they need is some dynamat on the back and they will shine. I also use diffraction devices in most of my horns to help with both dispersion and reflections from the mouth to the throat. gotta love Klipsch. Best regards Moray James.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...
On 8/6/2014 at 8:03 PM, jimjimbo said:

OK, if it's apples and oranges, I get it, but just a question of relative soundstage, fullness, bass, etc.

Throw back whatever day it is: I have promoted the Forte as having the top 3/5 (maybe 4/5) in quality, quantity, footprint, WAF or price than any other.... <that was a period at the end of that statement, bar none, prove me wrong.  I have moved Forte to many positions ( up, down, in/out. toed in, X off of the wall, tilted and such bla bla ). I know when it's right, they disperse a magical imaging that very few can, and that's what I really like. They are similar to Khorn in that they are placement sensitive (yes, KLF too). 

I scored some KG5.5 a couple of years ago, and passed the score on to a coworker (he capitalized on other deals I passed to him: $400 LaScala (yes, the ones i rescued that came from a house fire), HK, Sansui and such).  The KG5.5 have returned and are in the shop (machine shop)....they are impressive without trying / love the sound. (powered by a Sansui G5700 + CD player)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

I have been fortunate to have A/B a lot of Heritage / Legend / Epic / RF / KG / HP / KPT and such. I do not have any Forte to AB them to the KG5.5.

Jim, 

Did you upgrade your KG5.5 and what are your thoughts on the KG5.5 to the Forte?