Back panel on CF-3 rattling like a ******

avguytx

Wow...was listening to some music up pretty loud while the family is out school shopping and noticed a "knocking" sound from the right speaker. Oh great....a bad woofer. Or maybe the picture she has sitting up there is moving. I put my ear to the back area and you could plainly hear the knocking from the back panel not being fully secured to the cabinet. Now, I've heard of this happening in the KLF series and the fix for those but was this something that happened in the Epic CF series as well? The left speakers panel is as solid as can be for stock but the other is rattling like a bi0tch when you give it some juice and it's especially noticeable on a kick drum. Well crap. I guess that's a project for another weekend.

Is this the glue thing?

Edited by avguytx

Ummm... You're saying to pull the panel and then fire up the music? I've read where some have used diluted Titebond glue in the crack or gorilla glue with good results. I have both actually. I know fully removing the panel and fixing it is the best way and I may wait and go that route this coming weekend. I've just recently found a pair of KLF-30's I'm going to be refinishing and I would imagine they'll need the bracing too.

• Like 1

Glad you got them! I have 30s, too, and drove from St. Louis to KC to pick them up. Great speakers. Have you heard them, or are you going on what you've read about them? I did not have prior experience (beyond the 20s I had that became the surrounds, after I purchased the 30s) with them, but took a calculated risk that they would be just fine. They are much more than "fine".

• Like 1

Nothing sickens me more that to see bean counters ruin a perfectly good business. I'd suggest we glue their buns together but they would probably just fall back apart like everything else. I'm glad I did my 30's the way they should have been done in the first place.

• 2 years later...

Old topic I know but I guess I never added photos to what I did inside the cabinet of the CF-3's. Soooo.....

Before pictures...

IMG_3723_zpsdw272cdb.jpg

IMG_3718_zpssf9u2mmg.jpg

IMG_3719_zpsiwhdutes.jpg

I'll add some more later.  Photbucket's site is being a pain.  Man, they stink anymore for ads.

Yeah, they were a little off here and there.  I added 3/4" solid oak all the way around inside then glued/nailed/screwed the back panels in place and sealed with silicone.  Also added a little "bulk" to the top and bottom panels along with a couple more cross braces per cabinet which was all it needed.