men and baby showers

T2K

My wife was invited to a baby shower for the daughter of a friend of hers that was held yesterday. I dropped my wife off on the other side of town and took the opportunity to use my time to go look at some new Dodge Challengers at a nearby dealership. When I returned later to pick up my wife I was greeted by my wife and her friend and was asked by her friend why I had not attended. I responded that real men did not attend baby showers, to which she laughed and said she would relay that to her husband whom was inside. As it turned out the only men there was the father of the baby and the father of the showeree.

My question is this: Do men actually attend baby showers nowadays? Am I a relic of a time past when men did not attend baby showers? And does anyone have any good lies that I could use to get out of attending the next baby shower?

Keith

PS: the Challengers look surprisingly similar to the cars that were running around when I was younger although I'm partial to GM products.

Edited by T2K

I've got a 2.5yr old and a 6 day old. The only shower I attended was the one thrown a few weeks ago by church folk, and it was right after church - more of a quick get together for everyone. Otherwise nope, never went to one nor was I expected to. Most of the time I would go shoot clay with the other husbands whose wives were in attendance.

I was, however, super involved in both pregnancies and my wife's postpartum care, the development of both girls and work from home 2 days a week so that I can have more dedicated time with them. But that's my choice and not an edict from my wife.

My guess is that the baby shower was not an anomaly in those two men's lives. ;)

• Moderators
And does anyone have any good lies that I could use to get out of attending the next baby shower?

Yes but it's not a lie, I just say no.

Seen a few new Challengers while out of town last week, and the new Camaro's, I thought the Camaros looked closer to the original, and a much nicer shape overall. imo

• Like 1

My question is this: Do men actually attend baby showers nowadays?

Not that I've seen. Separate parties are the norm around these parts.

The newest thing I've seen is "diaper parties". They're becoming increasingly popular. Everyone brings diapers as a gift but you can bring something else as well. With the price they're asking for those things now, I can see why those type parties are liked.

My question is this: Do men actually attend baby showers nowadays?

Not that I've seen. Separate parties are the norm around these parts.

The newest thing I've seen is "diaper parties". They're becoming increasingly popular. Everyone brings diapers as a gift but you can bring something else as well. With the price they're asking for those things now, I can see why those type parties are liked.

Because we were having a 2nd girl and therefore have all needs taken care of for clothing we specifically requested that people get diapers if they feel compelled to get anything at all. It quickly adds up at a rate of 8-12 diapers per day. I'm grateful my wife is able to successfully breastfeed so we don't have to add formula and supplements on top of that.

• Moderators
I'm grateful my wife is able to successfully breastfeed so we don't have to add formula and supplements on top of that

And it's much better for the baby in many ways, at least for a few weeks.

rate of 8-12 diapers per day

A change every 2-3 hours? Seems like a lot but it's been 16 years since we had a new born so my memory is a little hazy.

Oh yeah, easily.

I'm grateful my wife is able to successfully breastfeed so we don't have to add formula and supplements on top of that

And it's much better for the baby in many ways, at least for a few weeks.

First 6 months exclusively, if possible, yield the best results. The 1st born went a full year, supplementing solids after 6 months, and she never got sick, her poop never smelled, never had an upset stomach, she's super smart, and we haven't had to deal with toddler obesity. Oh and we saved like $1200/yr.

we aren't hippy dippy about too many things, but breast feeding was one thing we decided to be important worth sticking out.

• Like 1

we aren't hippy dippy about too many things, but breast feeding was one thing we decided to be important worth sticking out.

It's important to the child AND the mother. Breast feeding greatly reduces the chances of breast cancer later in life.

I would go to the shower to check out the hot chicks like I did at Tupperware parties at my apartment complex in my younger days. Buy a storage device - get a date, simple.

Edited by USNRET

Yes, men can attend Baby Showers and not be in a separate room. Kid Birthday parties, Baby Showers are family events around here. I have one to go to on Saturday. Some people around here also have a Gender Unveiling Party. I had to ask my daughters what the hell that is, lol.

I don't remember men attending baby showers when I was younger, of course that has been a few years ago. My wife's friend (Grandma) has been a friend since childhood but busy lives and miles hasn't allowed much interaction between them so I encouraged her to go to the shower. After leaving I told my wife that her friend had aged much more than she had and that she (my wife) appeared much younger than many of the ladies there. Those comments were followed by about a 10 minute silence.

Has anyone figured out what goes on in women's minds during those silent periods?

Keith

I went golfing with the guys at the country club smoking good stogies and lots fine beverages. There is a picture of me walking out the door with a room full of women the day of the shower for my kid although under no circumstance would i consider attending a baby shower unless the fellas were in the back playing cards and drinking. Thats what guys do during showers man. Or of course go car shopping :)