Robin Williams Dead

willland

Bummer. Early death seems to be common among comedians - John Belushi, Sam Kinison, John Candy, Lenny Bruce, etc., etc., etc.

In my opinion, comedians are some of the most intelligent people around and, I think, when you're dealing with that kind of perspective your whole life it may become easier to be crushed under the weight of your own mind.

Robin Williams was Bi-Polar and battled depression for decades.

Roger

Depression is often an unseen illness. I Have a friend from High School Who's Son committed Suicide. No one had a clue that he was having problems.

Not to take away from Robin Williams,but many of our Veterans suffer from depression and take their own lives. Yet they are not famous so often they get a few lines in the back pages of some newspaper, if at all.

I have enjoyed the movies Mr Williams played in, but somehow I wonder if our values are not skewed when an actor gets more notice then a Veteran.

Maybe it is just my values that are skewed.

• Like 1

• Moderators

We come together to grieve when it's a famous person because their fame connects us, and it's a grief we can share in that commonality. It should not, and does not, take away the value of anyone who has battled similar demons.

• Like 4

Not to spread negative whatsoever about him. If anybody hadnt known 3 months ago he had checked himself into rehab. Not that he was battling addiction at that time although addiction once set in continues for the remainder of every life that undergoes such a battle. The last few times in the past 2 years i had seen him he was quite electrifying. Not sure about his personal intuition as that is between oneself and god.

He truly did establish a new years ago and now sense of recognition within humor that is so huge. So sad is the only feeling with what the world will miss without him.

My wife and I are fans as well of him and use some of his jokes in every-day's life, like " Effie..., brace yourself " [Ms. Doubtfire].

Also lines from movies like Peter Pan, Jumanji and Patch Adams are heard frequently here in the house.

Maybe his talent prooved to be to much to live with, leading to his addiction to drugs and alcohol....very sad.

He will surely be missed on this side of the pond as well. :(

Edited by nico boom

Some great observations in this thread. Of the crew here, I know of at least four who have clinical depression - including Colter and myself. I will say this - medication doesn't work well, and you simply end up anchoring yourself to a thing or two that you use to justify living. Be careful what you choose,

When I was told I had Cancer, a part of me, and I mean a BIG part of me experienced a feeling of profound relief. I thought, "so then, this crushing fatigue will finally end".

I love it when my Mom says, "...you have nothing to be depressed about, happiness is a choice." I've been trying for a decade to get her to go to WebMD and learn about what I'm dealing with.

Colter and me can get on the phone and drive each other to tears with laughter over the ignorance of others about this. We suffer in different ways, but I know exactly what he's feeling.

Bye Robin, we are sure going to miss you - but you knew that already, didn't you?

• Like 2

Makes me think back to my initial reaction to John Belushi's "suicide." Unintended, in his case, but suicide nonetheless.

I was angry, angry at his cheating us of a lifetime of laughs. Then, of course, I realized how self-centered I was being.

Dave

This a.m., I laughed and I cried while watching all the clips and interviews with him on the news. Even his interviews about his addictions were funny to the core. A brilliant entertainer for sure.

Edited by Marvel

A lifelong friend of mine going back to elementary school posted this on Facebook, and it's well worth repeating here:

The Funny Man (a piece I wrote many years ago - posted now in honor of Robin Williams)

Oh, look!
Here comes the Funny Man!
Gathering children unto him,
Spreading joy to smother gloom,
Bringing his gift of smiles
To all who show a need.

But wait …
Why does it seem
That the joy he gives
Does not also brighten his world?
Could he have taken so much time
Delivering the gift of laughter
That there was none left for himself?

No,
It can’t be true.
You must be happy!
You’re so funny!
So, brush away that tear,
That’s not allowed.
Make me laugh.
Take away my gloom.
Ha!
That’s better,
That’s the Funny Man we know.
Thanks for the laugh, Funny Man.

No one notes how sad his gait,
As he shuffles slowly away.
And all are shocked
To hear the news
That the Funny Man
Took his life today.

(Rest in Peace)

Did not know how much he was influenced by Jonathan Winters

I believe Johnathan Winters played his son on Mork and Mindy. I can definitely see JW's influence on RW's work.

Did not know that! Saw Mork then on Happy Days last night on local station. Yes, do believe you can see it