Beyond Impressed with the LaScalas during Need for Speed!

Youthman

• Moderators

So my son and I purchased Need for Speed tonight. The wife was heading to bed so that meant the RSW-15 would have to go night night as well since she is such a light sleeper. :(

I switched the LaScalas to Full Range since the sub was turned off. You probably know how I have shared how unimpressed I've been with the bass response from the LaScalas. Tonight, my faith in their low frequency performance has been renewed!

We had it at a descent level and I kept finding myself smiling from ear to ear like a little kid on Christmas morn. :D As the cars raced by and panned from speaker to speaker, the LaScalas continued to impress me with clarity and for the first time, in low frequency. It was so lifelike and immersive that both my son and I kept commenting how sweet it sounded even without the sub. There were a few LFE drops that the LaScalas handled wonderfully smooth without distortion albeit not the slam I get from the RSW-15.

When the Army Helicopter pulls up from the ridge in the "Hooking Up" scene, the sound of the rotors of the copter was truly stunning.

The more I listen to the LaScalas, the more I confirm that they are a HUGE upgrade from my previous RF-83 / RC-64.

Klipsch-LaScala-Screenshot.jpg

• Like 5

I will probably always be in the Reference II line, as I can never see myself coming up with the scratch for Heritage products, but I can definitely appreciate it. (What's more, Reference II isn't a bad place to be stuck.) I'm interested in hearing a setup sometime myself, as I've yet to be exposed to them. Sadly, Iowa seems desolate for Klipsch dealers, and I'm rather new at connecting with fellow owners in the region.

Awesome share though! :)

• Moderators
I can never see myself coming up with the scratch for Heritage products,

If by "scratch" you are referring to money, I paid MUCH less for the LaScala Trio than I sold my RF-83 / RC-64 for.

Reference II isn't a bad place to be stuck.

I totally agree. The Reference Series are still fantastic speakers. I think the RF-83 are just too laid back of a sound. I might have to bring the RF-7ii into the HT to see how they compare with the LaScalas.

I'm interested in hearing a setup sometime myself, as I've yet to be exposed to them.

Just be careful....once you hear a good Heritage setup, you might find yourself joining the club. :lol: When I first purchased a pair of LaScala, I really had no intention of keeping them. I bought them to hear in my own home, share some photos and a review of how they compare to the RF-83's in the forum but within a few weeks of owning them, I purchased a third LaScala and sold the RF-83 / RC-64. I cannot believe how much more clarity and detail the LaScalas have over the RF-83 / RC-64.

• Like 3

I believe that! lol

Honestly right now, the room my personal HT is in is way too small for the setup I have. Still living at home until I'm out of school - the setup is complete as far as 5.1 goes, I'm looking at get the missing pieces, but can only imagine what it'll be like when I move it to a living room setting. I've bought just about everything as far as audio goes, but most of that I've gifted to the mother for putting up with my shenanigans as a kid. lol

I have - however - warned her of my intent to get ahold of some LaScalla's for the living room if I ever get some extra cash. So somewhere in my head I know I'm going to at least own a pair eventually. :lol:

• Like 2

• Moderators

PS4 works just as great as the PS3 for bluray. Absolutely love it. We did however begin to have the audio totally drop out with the PS4 so it has been moved to my son's bedroom and the PS3 is now back in the HT. Not sure if it's an HDMI issue with the Harman Kardon. The PS3 has never had a problem with audio.

• Like 1

So my son and I purchased Need for Speed tonight. The wife was heading to bed so that meant the RSW-15 would have to go night night as well since she is such a light sleeper. :(

I switched the LaScalas to Full Range since the sub was turned off. You probably know how I have shared how unimpressed I've been with the bass response from the LaScalas. Tonight, my faith in their low frequency performance has been renewed!

We had it at a descent level and I kept finding myself smiling from ear to ear like a little kid on Christmas morn. :D As the cars raced by and panned from speaker to speaker, the LaScalas continued to impress me with clarity and for the first time, in low frequency. It was so lifelike and immersive that both my son and I kept commenting how sweet it sounded even without the sub. There were a few LFE drops that the LaScalas handled wonderfully smooth without distortion albeit not the slam I get from the RSW-15.

When the Army Helicopter pulls up from the ridge in the "Hooking Up" scene, the sound of the rotors of the copter was truly stunning.

The more I listen to the LaScalas, the more I confirm that they are a HUGE upgrade from my previous RF-83 / RC-64.

Klipsch-LaScala-Screenshot.jpg

How long will it be until you get the new AT screen in place? I bet you will be watching all your movies over again! :)

I need to go out and get Need for Speed too. My wives father is here on vacation, and we have been working our way through all my action movies again (first time on the new setup). Let me tell you everything sounds great. The room isn't even tuned yet, plus the Minidsps haven't even been hooked up... We are running the La Scala crossovers.

I forgot how good car racing was to watch until I went to the speedway a couple of weeks ago. We seen K. Stewart and some of the other guys before the tragedy the following week. I will rent that video, love the roar of the cars going around the track.

• Like 1

I forgot how good car racing was to watch until I went to the speedway a couple of weeks ago. We seen K. Stewart and some of the other guys before the tragedy the following week. I will rent that video, love the roar of the cars going around the track.

Don't care for WhiteTrashCar; but, Lee & Jackson love Cars Blu ray, & so does they ;-) daddy.

Select PCM Uncompressed 5.1

Youth let me tell you why you are experiencing this. When you turn the sub off and set mains to large it forces the LFE to the mains. LFE bass is 1,000,000% different than regular bass. It is so much more intense and so much lower. My rf-63's have so much bass it will freak you out. HOWEVER, you have to be very careful doing this as you are sending very low frequency to drivers that just aren't meant to play that low. I can rock no sub on both of my setups however can only go so loud cause cone excursion gets extremely high around -15 on the volume. You'd never see it on the la scala and could easily damage something. Be careful.

• Like 1

I do not think the Scala woofer moves much more than a K-horn woofer so I made a plexiglass woofer cover for my K-horns to prove it does not move much to a friend. I played some heavy bass music with bass up a little more and you can not even see it move much at all. I impressed him and I learned some thing to was interesting test and easy to do. When I was in hope in 1980 I wanted to see the plexi-glass khorn work but it was not hooked up. Rick

Was that the movie with the Jensen interceptor in it ? Love that car and since I have a Jensen Healey and only seen Jensens in a couple movies I was surprised. Jensen built bodies for a lot of famous cars out there and also made the healey, the GT sport wagon and of course the Interceptor with the Chrysler 440 in it. Rick

Was that the movie with the Jensen interceptor in it ? Love that car and since I have a Jensen Healey and only seen Jensens in a couple movies I was surprised. Jensen built bodies for a lot of famous cars out there and also made the healey, the GT sport wagon and of course the Interceptor with the Chrysler 440 in it. Rick

tou thinking of the wraith?

And rick, music won't make woofers move like LFE will. Don't believe me? Throw in something like war of the worlds and watch your woofers then.

...I switched the La Scalas to Full Range since the sub was turned off. You probably know how I have shared how unimpressed I've been with the bass response from the La Scalas. Tonight, my faith in their low frequency performance has been renewed!...The more I listen to the LaScalas, the more I confirm that they are a HUGE upgrade from my previous RF-83 / RC-64.

Low modulation distortion from those three horn-loaded bass bins is likely a large factor in your assessment, as well as sealing up the room, thus creating a good pressure zone, and having three La Scala bass bins supported by the room boundaries--especially the room's corners. All three front speakers are identical.

Nice setup: clean room boundaries (walls, floor, ceiling), and the near field is free of reflective objects like equipment racks and acoustically reflective furniture, as well as absorption panels on the near-field sidewalls. I bet it sounds clean and images like crazy. You might also try placing some acoustic absorption pads on the sides and top of the LS's, listening then for changes in timbre and soundstage smoothness/continuity.

If you use something like REW with an equalizer, those big bass response peaks can be smoothed in the 100-250 Hz band--see the first two "Out 1" PEQ filters--to increase the sense of performance realism, if you haven't already done it using Audyssey/YPAO/etc.

Chris

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I have the same front array but with more horsepower in the rear and dual subs up front. I typically only engage the subs when watching a movie or listening to music. I also run a pair of front effects speakers. I will need to check out Need for Speed on Blu-Ray.

I stepped down to La Scala's from Klipschorn's because my corners were not ideal and I have hot water heating baseboards.