Beyond Impressed with the LaScalas during Need for Speed!

Youthman

I stepped down to La Scala's from Klipschorn's because my corners were not ideal and I have hot water heating baseboards.

Aside from the woofers, do the La Scalas share the same mid range, and high end of the Klispchorn?

Yes.

Man i do miss my la scala bass. I always preffered the la scala bass over the khorn bass. Problem is thay dont go that "low" but they hit clean and hit hard. Beutifull tone to them. Like i said before i did not like the way they sounded with my sealed servo 15" sub, the tht the bass blended seamlessly. Beutiful setup you have the youthman.

I am not sure if i missed it, but why dont you have your la scalas to full range? i always used mine as full range.

Alex

• Moderators
I switched the LaScalas to Full Range since the sub was turned off. You probably know how I have shared how unimpressed I've been with the bass response from the LaScalas. Tonight, my faith in their low frequency performance has been renewed!

:D

Can't help myself " we told you so"

Just wait until they get in place which will be a little further back and everything set and adjusted permanently. Congratulations

Not subwoofer deep bass but very tight and accurate, and very clean natural sounding bass.

Good looking picture (on the screen ) both really. :emotion-21:

Edited by dtel

• Moderators
HOWEVER, you have to be very careful doing this as you are sending very low frequency to drivers that just aren't meant to play that low.

Good thing is when the wife is in bed, I can't crank it so there shouldn't be any worries with the LaScalas playing LFE.

having three La Scala bass bins supported by the room boundaries--especially the room's corners.

I'm not sure they are getting much boundary gain since they are currently in front of the false wall which is about 3' in front of the front wall.

Nice setup: clean room boundaries (walls, floor, ceiling), and the near field is free of reflective objects like equipment racks and acoustically reflective furniture, as well as absorption panels on the near-field sidewalls. I bet it sounds clean and images like crazy.

Thank you kindly. Yes, imaging is VERY sweet with the Trio. My room used to echo REALLY bad before I added the acoustic panels. Now the room is quiet and clarity has improved significantly as a result of the panels.

You might also try placing some acoustic absorption pads on the sides and top of the LS's, listening then for changes in timbre and soundstage smoothness/continuity.

I have a few panels behind the false wall that I can use when we finish the new front wall. Probably won't worry with any adjustments in the existing panels until that is completed.

Youth. I woul like to see what you think of the rf7ii next to the lascalas for the same film. But they are heavy to move back and forth.

I have no problem moving the RF-7ii into the HT. I've done it several times by myself and my son sometimes helps (which is much easier). I can see a LaScala vs RF-7ii Comparison Thread coming soon. ;)

I typically only engage the subs when watching a movie or listening to music.

Just curious....what other options are there? :P

• Moderators
Problem is thay dont go that "low" but they hit clean and hit hard.

Agreed....they definitely don't thump like my previous RF-83's, RF-7ii or RF-7 do but the bass they do produce is smoothe.

I am not sure if i missed it, but why dont you have your la scalas to full range? i always used mine as full range.

LaScalas only play down to around 70Hz so there is no need to set them to Full Range. The RSW-15 handles the really low end which is what it was designed to do.

Can't help myself " we told you so"

For the record dtel.....You (and many others) were right. I fought against Heritage since I first came to the Klipsch community mainly because I thought they were "dated", "old school" and frankly, "ugly" looking speakers. Well....they have really grown on me and I have finally learned to appreciate their looks, mostly because of how they sound.

Just wait until they get in place which will be a little further back and everything set and adjusted permanently.

Trust me, I'm super excited about that but it will be awhile longer before we can move forward with the new front wall. Good thing is I'm super patient and know it will be well worth the wait.

Not subwoofer deep bass but very tight and accurate, and very clean natural sounding bass.

I agree with that.

Good looking picture (on the screen ) both really.

SPOILER ALERT.....the image on the screen is photoshopped. :P It's really difficult to get the exposure correct on screen and in the room in the same photo so I just grabbed a screenshot instead of turning the lights down, pausing the video, taking a separate photo of the image in the dark. Either way required photoshopping.

• Moderators
For the record dtel.....You (and many others) were right. I fought against Heritage since I first came to the Klipsch community mainly because I thought they were "dated", "old school" and frankly, "ugly" looking speakers. Well....they have really grown on me and I have finally learned to appreciate their looks, mostly because of how they sound.

All true in a way but in the end it's nothing to do with looks, anyway they will disappear when your room is done, and you will get a little floor space back compared to where they are now. And be left with just the sound, the best part. :emotion-19:

SPOILER ALERT.....the image on the screen is photoshopped. It's really difficult to get the exposure correct on screen and in the room in the same photo so I just grabbed a screenshot instead of turning the lights down, pausing the video, taking a separate photo of the image in the dark. Either way required photoshopping.

I was wondering how you did that, the room would need a slow exposure, I thought you paused the pic but that would have left the screen overexposed.

Either way it is a pic of your real screen image just not at the exact time of the room pic, good thinking with great results. :emotion-55::emotion-21: Trying that with a double exposure would be cool if it worked ?

You should write a tutorial on how to get great pics of rooms and speakers, I will help.........#1 put your phone away for pics...........Ok it's on you from there..... :D

Edited by dtel

HOWEVER, you have to be very careful doing this as you are sending very low frequency to drivers that just aren't meant to play that low.

Good thing is when the wife is in bed, I can't crank it so there shouldn't be any worries with the LaScalas playing LFE.

having three La Scala bass bins supported by the room boundaries--especially the room's corners.

I'm not sure they are getting much boundary gain since they are currently in front of the false wall which is about 3' in front of the front wall.

Nice setup: clean room boundaries (walls, floor, ceiling), and the near field is free of reflective objects like equipment racks and acoustically reflective furniture, as well as absorption panels on the near-field sidewalls. I bet it sounds clean and images like crazy.

Thank you kindly. Yes, imaging is VERY sweet with the Trio. My room used to echo REALLY bad before I added the acoustic panels. Now the room is quiet and clarity has improved significantly as a result of the panels.

You might also try placing some acoustic absorption pads on the sides and top of the LS's, listening then for changes in timbre and soundstage smoothness/continuity.

I have a few panels behind the false wall that I can use when we finish the new front wall. Probably won't worry with any adjustments in the existing panels until that is completed.

Youth. I woul like to see what you think of the rf7ii next to the lascalas for the same film. But they are heavy to move back and forth.

I have no problem moving the RF-7ii into the HT. I've done it several times by myself and my son sometimes helps (which is much easier). I can see a LaScala vs RF-7ii Comparison Thread coming soon. ;)

I typically only engage the subs when watching a movie or listening to music.

Just curious....what other options are there? :P

Exercise videos perhaps?

I rented this movie tonight. Some really good audio and action scenes but more of a renter for me. That girl did keep getting better and better looking as the movie progressed.... :wub:

edit: Was running the reference speakers fwiw

Edited by Tasdom
  • Like 1

• Moderators
I know you probably won't right away, or if at all, but any plans on swapping out, or maybe just updating the caps and what not that go bad after awhile on the Xover?

I don't have any immediate plans to. Sounds pretty amazing the way they are. "If it ain't broke then don't try and fix it."

Or wakejunkies IB.

Totally looking forward to that sometime later this year.

Or my JTRs :)

Would love that as well.

Honestly, I'm betting that once I hear Wake's IB, I will have this sudden desire to take my subs to the next level. :D

• Like 1

The RSW-15 handles the really low end which is what it was designed to do.

Wait until you experience a horn sub. We know it's coming. :P
My DTS10s are a totally different sound than my Triax sub was... All I can say is the Triax went lower, and was much fuller sounding where the DTS10s sound much cleaner and tighter down to as deep as they go, which is as low as I need.