SE Michigan flooding.......

bhenry

• Moderators
Now.........do I replace my stereo equipment put it towards the Shelby GT500 my wife doesn't know I'm buying? Decisions, decisions.

Quite a difference in prices with those choices, get a stereo set up at least, you may be spending a lot of time in there if she finds out the other choice. :D

My brother sold his house in Royal Oak just 2 months ago and moved near Milford. His old place had 3.5' of clear water in it, ruining the basement he completely finished just a couple of years back. It was really beautiful. He's feeling very fortunate right now.....

There was another forum member from Royal Oak with a awesome Klipsch theater room in his basement. I hope he was one of the lucky ones.

*edit* I think the member's handle is PICKY

Edited by finallygotmyheresies

My brother sold his house in Royal Oak just 2 months ago and moved near Milford. His old place had 3.5' of clear water in it, ruining the basement he completely finished just a couple of years back. It was really beautiful. He's feeling very fortunate right now.....

There was another forum member from Royal Oak with a awesome Klipsch theater room in his basement. I hope he was one of the lucky ones.

Glenn aka Picky is from Allen Park. I don't think the flooding hit that area, known as "Downriver." The last time I saw Picky it was in the OP's basement after he'd helped Brett dial in his awesome HT. Glenn will feel Brett's pain.

The attached photo from The Detroit News depicts a sad scene played out on many streets in Southeast Michigan yesterday.

EDIT: 12/20/2015

Photos deleted to free up server space.

Edited by DizRotus

Glenn aka Picky is from Allen Park. I don't think the flooding hit that area, known as "Downriver." The last time I saw Picky it was in the OP's basement after he'd helped Brett dial in his awesome HT. Glenn will feel Brett's pain.

The attached photo from The Detroit News depicts a sad scene played out on many streets in Southeast Michigan yesterday.

Ohhh thanks, I mis-remembered who's basement that was. That looked so very impressive. I've been reading on freep.com about all of the loss, I can't believe that so many won't get reimbursed for their personal items. Sad sad sad

It was a disaster for sure!

In the mean time I have been trying to decide to get new RF-7 II's or go a different route. I, like many others I'm sure, have always wanted a set of Klipschorns so I thought I'd investigate that route.

I've always liked my speakers black and Klipschorns are kind of difficult to find in black.......but I found a super nice guy on Audiogon that is selling a pair of black ones from 2012. I'm taking a road trip (I'm bringing my enclosed trailer with me because I'm pretty certain that I will be bringing them home) from Royal Oak, Michigan to South Bend, Indiana next weekend to check those out.

I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time because I REALLY loved the set up I had and I'm hoping to at the very least duplicate it if not improve it so I don't know what to expect from the Klipschorns.

I like my music loud and clean with lots of the lower frequencies (not a fan of the rap music but I do like a lot of clean and musical bass.) so I will also be adding at least one sub. I'm assuming that I could probably get away with just one, I'm considering the Velodyne DD Plus 15 sub.

Any comments are helpful.

It was a disaster for sure!

In the mean time I have been trying to decide to get new RF-7 II's or go a different route. I, like many others I'm sure, have always wanted a set of Klipschorns so I thought I'd investigate that route.

I've always liked my speakers black and Klipschorns are kind of difficult to find in black.......but I found a super nice guy on Audiogon that is selling a pair of black ones from 2012. I'm taking a road trip (I'm bringing my enclosed trailer with me because I'm pretty certain that I will be bringing them home) from Royal Oak, Michigan to South Bend, Indiana next weekend to check those out.

I'm kind of excited and nervous at the same time because I REALLY loved the set up I had and I'm hoping to at the very least duplicate it if not improve it so I don't know what to expect from the Klipschorns.

I like my music loud and clean with lots of the lower frequencies (not a fan of the rap music but I do like a lot of clean and musical bass.) so I will also be adding at least one sub. I'm assuming that I could probably get away with just one, I'm considering the Velodyne DD Plus 15 sub.

Any comments are helpful.

Very cool! Please let me know if you need help unloading. I'd like to hear how a pair of my DIY tapped horns sound with Khorns, if you're game to experiment.

bhenry: I haven't been on here in so long and I just now saw this thread today. Brett, I can't express just how totally bummed I am over reading this news! As Neal said, you and I spent so much time in your basement tweaking your system just to get it right and we were so happy with the results and then THIS! OMG! That just SUCKS! Unfortunately, hundreds of homes in Allen Park, where I live, also got hit with flooding. However, our house was spared, thank goodness! We seem to be on the higher end of the drain system for some reason as we've not had sewer backups from storms in the 35 years we've lived here (knock on wood). That was a hundred-year-rain, like a once-in-a-lifetime, thing that we all got hit with. Sorry your place was not so lucky. I just don't know what else to say, man other than I am SO SORRY! -Glenn

Our street at the end of our driveway that day...

post-8073-0-88800000-1409607551_thumb.jp

Edited by picky

Hey Glenn, thanks for saying that. Your help has not been forgotten and I appreciate it very much. I'm glad you were spared! Consider yourself lucky because you have a very similar set-up to mine. If you'd be interested, I now have a couple of spare RSW-15 drivers that you could have as back-ups. The amps are toasted but the drivers are still good, if you want them.

On a happier note: I drive to Indiana last week and picked up a pair of 2012 black Klipschorns from a very nice guy. So I'm starting to rebuild and my wife is being SUPER understanding through this whole mess. She's even cool with me dropping some coin on a Danley THSpud subwoofer. I might not go that route but at least she would let me if I decide to.

I'll surely have you and Neil over when it's all set up, hope to have it done before Christmas this year.

with me dropping some coin on a Danley THSpud subwoofer.

Good choice. I have twin Super Spuds (DTS 10) and thinking of going with 4 Spuds. There are no finer subs for music or HT, except for maybe the DIY ones from Ricci (Gjallerhorn and Othorn). But those are not as slim as the Danleys.

After much consideration I ordered two of the KW-120-THX subs and the 1000W amp from a local dealer.

I inquired about the KPT 1802 HLS and the THX subs but was told by the Klipsch rep that the HLS was not the best choice as it is designed to be used in an auditorium environment with 2500 people in it. He recommended the THX subs.

I know where he's coming from but thought it might have been pretty sweet anyways. I like that the THX subs are going to be easier to place in the room and, I would guess easier to set-up than the commercial sub.

I was told they are in stock and depending on where they ship from, I should have them in a little more than a week.

• Moderators
Sadly, if you don't live in a flood plain (which we don't) then you aren't able to even get flood insurance. Plus, the insurance only covers the structure in a water damage like this-not contents. They would pay to replace a furnace, humidifier, washer and dryer. "Items typically found in a basement.", said our insurance agent. We are lucky because we will get some money to repair the damage (again, nothing for contents) I know a lot of people that were told $0 because they didn't have the proper coverage.

Sorry, I had forgotten you had stated you didn't have flood insurance that would cover the audio gear.  You still might want to reach out to Trey to see if they can help out.  That's what they do.  Super nice guy.

Thanks, Youthman. That's good information to have for the future. I was looking through their website and it looks like they had a picture of a different disaster that happened nearby a year or two ago......Consumers Energy (gas utility company) was boring underground lines and damaged one of them. Sadly, it caused an explosion that completely destroyed one house, killing it's occupant, and damaged multiple other homes and businesses in the area. It's about 2 miles away from my house and my wife and I both heard it.

I'll contact Trey, too. I'm not sure what he can do for me but I guess it never hurts to ask, right?