Subwoofer Recommendations for my La Scalas

Mr. Clark

So after spending an evening listening to some classical music on my friend's Chorus II's, I can see that my Scalas sure are lackluster in their bass performance. Not a big deal--just want my symphonies and jazz trios to reach those lows.

I was wondering if any of you have some recommendations for subwoofers that work well with La Scalas. I don't want to break the bank--something around the $500 mark. The space is reasonably sized--around 20 x 14.

Any of you LS owners have budget subwoofers that are good for 2-channel listening?

On a related note--I'm totally clueless when it comes to powering subwoofers. I'm currently just powering the LS speakers with a Marantz 2230. I imagine this means I need to purchase an amp especially for subwoofers as well? Can I use a preamp signal from the Marantz to another amplifier just for the subwoofer?

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated! :)

• Like 1

I guess I misspoke. The room is 20' x 14'. I'll find room for the subwoofer.

Any thoughts on the table tuba?

I just built 2 of them for a friend. One will go under each Lascala. I think he's still a couple of weeks away from putting them into service though. They should sound great together. I have a dual driver Table Tuba on my back porch that fills my whole back yard with bass.

What i would recommend if using just one subwoofer would be a double 8" loaded Table Tuba or the Tuba HT in any version.

I have 2 Table Tuba's available to listen to if you wanted to hear one, no THT built right now.

Just PM or E-Mail if you're interested in a demo.

I have a thtlp and it sounds great. There are a few horn subs out there, do your research and see what you think will be best for you. Remember the la scalas playes into the 50hz region so you want a horn sub that will play lower than this. Reason i say this is because some horn subs only play into the 50, or 40hz region so keep this in mind. My thtlp plays into the low 20hz and it sounds awesome. The f20 is another good option. Table tuba is another viable option.

And yes you can and will need to use the preout on the marantz as signal to amp which will power sub. You will have to buy a amp to power the sub with, and a low frequency crossover as well. Cross over may come with amp, or you will need to purchase a external crossover as well.

Check out partsexpress for different subwoofer amps. If you ever come to Miami yo can take a listen;)

Hope i helped,

Alex

Edited by alexg5775

Please do some more reading on this topic. Many subwoofer come self-powered, which means not only and amp +box+speakers, but the designer is able to put certain equalization components in the pre-amp part of the circuit to achieve better (flatter or more pleasing) frequency response. If you buy and amp and a separate box, you need to be the engineer who does this, which would take even more circutry, electronic boxes, knowledge, time, and bucks. I highly recommend a used Klipsch THX subwoofer system with one or two of their sub boxes (the amp is engineered to go with these boxes) it's the most brilliant, musical sub sound I've ever heard in a home environment and I've heard a LOT. BTW, I'd forget about this whole horn subwoofer deal. You don't need horns necessarily to achieve great LF, although it helps, they use up a lot of floor space typically. WIth LS already in that room, floor space will be at a premium even with an all-in-one design.

Edited by colterphoto1

Please do some more reading on this topic. Many subwoofer come self-powered, which means not only and amp +box+speakers, but the designer is able to put certain equalization components in the pre-amp part of the circuit to achieve better (flatter or more pleasing) frequency response. If you buy and amp and a separate box, you need to be the engineer who does this, which would take even more circutry, electronic boxes, knowledge, time, and bucks. I highly recommend a used Klipsch THX subwoofer system with one or two of their sub boxes (the amp is engineered to go with these boxes) it's the most brilliant, musical sub sound I've ever heard in a home environment and I've heard a LOT. BTW, I'd forget about this whole horn subwoofer deal. You don't need horns necessarily to achieve great LF, although it helps, they use up a lot of floor space typically. WIth LS already in that room, floor space will be at a premium even with an all-in-one design.

While its a nice idea in theory to have flatter response in a subwoofer once you put it in a room all deals are off, room gain and room modes dictate your frequency response curves more than anything else.

The low frequencies are where you need the horn to keep distortion at a minimum.

Horn subwoofers blend seamlessly with horn loaded mains, direct radiating models do not.

Edited by jason str

I have been researching this same topic for the last 6 weeks or so. After everything I have read (a lot), I purchased the plans for a Tuba HT just last week. For reference I have a Sunfire True Subwoofer and a Klipsch SW-10 and neither are keeping up with my Cornwalls or KLFs. I am ultimately going to get some La Scalas, and for those a folded horn bass is the only solution in my humble opinion. The whole speaker is horn loaded...seems pretty obvious that you would want to stick with that.

I'd take jason str up on his offer to hear one. If I could procure some furniture grade Baltic Birch around here, I'd be building mine already. FWIW I have PM'd a ton of folks that have been using the Tuba for the last few years and they all report that they are still happy with it. Most are in fact using them with the LS.

I'm talking about flatter, more musical IN ROOM response. The kind where it's not boom boom boom. I've heard enough 'listening tests' with explosions and action movies, what gets me going is hearing Chris Squire from Yes playing those Moog Taurus bass pedals and not only feeling it, but sensing each note, all being equal loudness. Proper subbage takes your breath away, not just with sheer volume, but with the majesty of those lower registers of music. Just my 2 db though YMMV.

• Like 1

Is this the one you are referring to? Klipsch KW-120-THX Subwoofer

I'd like to give it a listen, but I once told myself I would never buy a Klipsch sub again... maybe I need to get over that.

I'm talking about flatter, more musical IN ROOM response. The kind where it's not boom boom boom. I've heard enough 'listening tests' with explosions and action movies, what gets me going is hearing Chris Squire from Yes playing those Moog Taurus bass pedals and not only feeling it, but sensing each note, all being equal loudness. Proper subbage takes your breath away, not just with sheer volume, but with the majesty of those lower registers of music. Just my 2 db though YMMV.

You have never heard one if this is your opinion.

There is no boom boom boom, its not a poorly tuned car sub.

I think the Klipsch THX subs are great for what they are but the sound of a proper horn subwoofer blows them away in all categories.

Loudness is not everything, its the sound that makes the difference.

Room modes & room gain work alike weather its a horn or direct radiating type so you get the same problem. Most of us don't load our space up with traps & sound absorption panels so it is what it is, in fact most place their subs where its most aesthetically pleasing instead of where it performs best.

Next time you're out this way come have a listen, my door is always open for those interested.

I have a pair of KW-120 THX subs matched up with a pair of Heresy III. A very nice sounding combo.

This thread inspired me to try the two KW-120's and KA-1000 amp in a room with Klipschorns. The KW-120's sound good with the K-horns up to a decent volume, but if you want live concert loudness, I agree with the recommendations to go with horn loaded, or bigger subwoofers.

It depends on how loud you listen, how it will fit your room and what you want to spend.

post-58241-0-85980000-1408041971_thumb.j

I think the Klipsch THX subs are great for what they are but the sound of a proper horn subwoofer blows them away in all categories.

Room modes & room gain work alike weather its a horn or direct radiating type so you get the same problem. Most of us don't load our space up with traps & sound absorption panels so it is what it is, in fact most place their subs where its most aesthetically pleasing instead of where it performs best.

Next time you're out this way come have a listen, my door is always open for those interested.

im pretty sure colt has heard his fair share of just about everything there is period.

im pretty sure colt has heard his fair share of just about everything there is period.

Mike (Colter) mentioned they are boomy and not musical is what i got from his post and that is not the case at all.

I'm sure he has heard many different subs, I'm not saying otherwise but to say horns are boomy is not correct.

Maybe somebody who is running one of these units or at least spent some time with one can chime in with another opinion on the subject.

no one going to mention DJK's bass reflex riser mod? This can be cone with about a 7 - 8" (internal) boc and two vents or you can achieve the exact same thing by making an opening to the top of the doghouse and placing a plate across the back of the top hat section with the same two vents, very hard to tell a change was made except for much more bass extension lower than a Cornwall. Can be done for a fraction of the OP's budget. Best regards Moray James.

no one going to mention DJK's bass reflex riser mod? This can be cone with about a 7 - 8" (internal) boc and two vents or you can achieve the exact same thing by making an opening to the top of the doghouse and placing a plate across the back of the top hat section with the same two vents, very hard to tell a change was made except for much more bass extension lower than a Cornwall. Can be done for a fraction of the OP's budget. Best regards Moray James.

Its an option but still does not cure the fact that the La Scala bass bin is no longer horn loaded below 100 Hz or so adding raised distortion levels into the mix.

Why put a band aid on the situation unless there is absolutely no room for a proper sub ?