Subwoofer Recommendations for my La Scalas

Mr. Clark

Its an option but still does not cure the fact that the La Scala bass bin is no longer horn loaded below 100 Hz or so adding raised distortion levels into the mix.
They aren't horn loaded below 100Hz before porting. Porting just allows you to tune them lower to start.

Bruce

BFM THT or a F20. I think the F20 is an easier build from everything I've seen.

The F-20 is a MUCH easier build. You also don't have to pay someone for the plans.

Agreed. Once you cut the wood (12 pieces or so) assembly takes a couple of hours max. It does have a bigger foot print than the THT however.

Finally decided what sub I want to help out the LaScalla's after previewing one of BFM subs in a huge field yesterday afternoon. The  band I listened to was using a Titan 24 I believe. It was truly awe inspiring to think that small box built out of 1/2" plywood could produce such tight solid bass. With permission stepped over to the cab was even more impressed. Will be building a pair of Table Tuba's 20" wide powered with a couple of 10" Dayton woofers. 

[i just finished a project that was exactly what you're proposing to do HERE  In my case, I built them mirror images of each other as opposed to identical.

Mine will also be mirror imaged. Found the Baltic Birch locally it is sitting near the saw also the Loctite adhesive. Will order the woofers and speaker accessories this week.

So after spending an evening listening to some classical music on my friend's Chorus II's, I can see that my Scalas sure are lackluster in their bass performance. Not a big deal--just want my symphonies and jazz trios to reach those lows.

I was wondering if any of you have some recommendations for subwoofers that work well with La Scalas. I don't want to break the bank--something around the $500 mark. The space is reasonably sized--around 20 x 14.  Any of you LS owners have budget subwoofers that are good for 2-channel listening?

Any insight would be helpful and appreciated! :)

The responses here concerning horn-loaded subs to go with your La Scala horn-loaded bass bins are good ones, IMHO, and represent the factors  that I'd recommend that you consider. 

I don't believe that a $500 direct-radiating (DR) subwoofer of any variety is going to make you happy listening to symphonies and jazz trios with your La Scalas.  Any type of DR subs that might compete with good home-built horn-loaded subs would cost at least 5 times $500.

I also don't recommend a Tapped Horn (TH) sub--not really discussed here but plentiful in discussions on this subject--due to the higher frequencies that your La Scalas need from a sub to complement their lack of low frequency extension.  TH subs categorically don't sound very good above ~50-60 Hz, especially when crossed over to mains using low-order crossovers.

As far as amplification is concerned, there are amplifiers out there that can easily drive horn-loaded subs AND do crossover duty AND do time delay or phase compensation AND do parametric equalization (PEQ) to compensate for room gain and irregular FR due to placement in-room relative to the walls, ceiling, and perhaps even the floor.  The Crown XTi series does this very well (and can be found used for reasonable prices), as well as active crossovers such as miniDSP coupled with an amplifier.  I do recommend either an AV preamplifier running something like Audyssey, or using a calibrated microphone and REW to program the PEQs and crossover to the sub using an active crossover or a DSP amplifier like the Crown XTi.  I've found that having a smoothed FR in the sub's pass band is critical to a "musical sounding subwoofer" experience, especially symphonies and jazz combos.

Chris

Edited by Chris A