Klipschorns In A Small'ish Room

ninanina

I was not looking for KHorns when I found mine. Never been sorry. If I want soft, low volume music they are very good (In my opinion) and if I want loud, they make me just as happy. I will admit I don't have the best room or system driving them. But I'm happy with what I got.

How many things can one say they are Happy with what they got.

• Like 1

How big is your room gnat?  I plan on building a house with a dedicated 2 ch room which is 12' x 15' for my future Khorns.

I've had Khorns in small and large rooms.  Since you are building from scratch, I'd suggest a higher than normal ceiling, so that the tweeter sound bouncing off the ceiling doesn't get to your ears before the bass (and midrange?) arrive.  See Heyser review of  Khorns (Audio, in the '80s), if you haven't already.  He recommends a high ceiling.  Klipsch says 8.5 ft. is O.K., but I'd go higher.  See the online room mode calculators to help you plan H, W, & L.  See Chris's posts on cornerhorns and absorbers.  Good luck!

Edited by Garyrc

• 3 years later...

Sorry to dig up this old thread guys! I have a small dedicated two channel listening room. Will most likely never be moving so will never have a bigger listening room. My room is 9 feet wide x 17 long with 7 foot ceilings. I am looking at some Lascala 2's. Can Lascala be close to sidewalls? I can easily be 3 feet or a bit more from front wall to back of cabinet. I run subs in the corner so i don't need to corner load the Lascala's for bass. Just want a deep and wide soundstage without the beaming of my singledriver speakers. Thanks fellas!

• Like 1

Yes you can.

The real question is Why?

Would you put an Allison aircraft engine in a VW so that you can drive in your garage? If so, go for it.

Just as another aside, I was at a local Klipsch dealer a long time ago. The dealer put on Supertramp or something (to be played LOUD). When he got done with the demo, the customer said "WOW!!!! That was incredible!! But I can't afford those". The dealer says "Of course you can. I wasn't playing the big speakers - Klipschorns. You were listening to the Klipsch Heresy sitting on top of them!"

There are two things that affect the sound more than anything. First is the recording. The recording engineer is King. Second is the room. And the smaller the room, the more difficult it gets to stop the room from influencing the sound, especially with a speaker like the Khorn. Using over-sized speakers (for the room) accomplishes zero positive results.

Now, IF, you have plans to build a proper room for the Khorns in the future (like I did), AND you're able to get a swingin' deal that you might not ever see again (like I did at the time), then by all means go for it. But don't expect to get anywhere near what they are capable of.

I am currently using a lovely pair of Heresy II's which are being driven very successfully by my Audio Note Oto SET, of about 8 watts... It sounds sublime

However I have always had a liking for the mighty K'horns..

My room width isn't very wide, it's about 3 metres (about 10 ft )...!!

Does anyone know if that is enough for the K'horns to sing or is it just too tight ??

Thanks for any help

If my room just isn't big enough that's ok as I will just carry on with the Heresys.... and that's just fine!!

I am really tempted by the mighty K'horn though..

Thanks

Are your Heresys in the corners?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am currently using a lovely pair of Heresy II's which are being driven very successfully by my Audio Note Oto SET, of about 8 watts... It sounds sublime

However I have always had a liking for the mighty K'horns..

My room width isn't very wide, it's about 3 metres (about 10 ft )...!!

Does anyone know if that is enough for the K'horns to sing or is it just too tight ??

Thanks for any help

If my room just isn't big enough that's ok as I will just carry on with the Heresys.... and that's just fine!!

I am really tempted by the mighty K'horn though..

Thanks

Go for it! You just won’t have to turn them up as much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would be more concerned about how far back is your listening position. Seems to me they need a bit of space to blend properly. At some point I would love a pair, or LaScalas, but I feel my main room where I currently reside would have me placed closer than optimum.

• Like 1

DSC00780.thumb.JPG.63c1c80429f756c6b0be720c9b6ba1c4.JPGHere is my setup(temporary) I do nearfield listening and others here do as well. Thinking DeanG does as well.

If they can sound good this close together, and they do then, anything farther apart should work for you. Just

saying. When I like, I sit in an adjacent room and they still sound good enough. Was actually pleasantly surprised at how good they sound in this smallish/crowded room. For laughs @flat4

3 hours ago, Tony Whitlow said:

The La Scala has a bigger footprint than the KHorn.

True...

5add441ad4418_KhornLaScalarelativesize.thumb.png.51ce4bcc90dcfbc3330f09929eb455bf.png

If you release and move the tweeters to the back of the top hat on top to time align them to the midrange drivers, your minimum listening distance issues in small rooms will be dramatically reduced.  It's cheap, easy, and reversible to listen to the difference.

Tri-amping and time-aligning them will be even better...

You can also place some soft fuzzy material across the top of the top hats and make sure that there is plenty of absorption covering the floor in front of each Khorn...which controls the midrange ceiling and floor bounce better between 400-2000 Hz,  then I believe that you will find that having Khorns in that small of a room will be even more enjoyable.

Chris