Belles to Khorns?

Keefer

Perhaps it would be better to describe your room and placement of Belles in-room before making a prediction of how much better. A picture is worth a thousand words.

The midranges and tweeters in both loudspeakers are essentially the same, so the biggest difference is in the bass bin. There is a large difference in sound quality due to the Khorn bass bin's low frequency extension--about an octave lower for the Khorns. Also, the coupling of the Khorn's bass bin to the room is also a big deal, giving a much different sound to the bass: clean bass that doesn't have its own "sound".

Edited by Chris A

Should I get rid of my Belles to go to Klipschorns? I'm thinking about t, but I just love my Belles and the way they look. Would Khorns sound that much different? Please advise.

I have both. It would be hard to predict which would sound better, although the Khorn will reach deeper into the bass. My Belle has a little peak at 60 Hz, then drops like a rock. My Khorns have a little dip at 70 Hz, but curve back up to strong bass at 40 Hz, go well to 35, maintain tight clarity to 30, and actually emit something at 24. So much depends on the room and whether the Khorns are correctly situated. They are persnickity, and need to be pushed all the way back into a corner, and need a gasket to seal them to the wall.

Audyssey XT or better helps both.

If you get Khorns, look up Chris A's article on corner horns in the Forum.

Edited by Garyrc

In an ideal room, K-horns. In a less than ideal room (which kind of sounds like yours), stick with the Belles. If you want to improve on the Belles, I would suggest a nice horn sub. You will get the K-horns octave plus another.

Edited by tromprof

13x19 room and the k-horns on the 13' wall absolutely NOT

Perhaps a strong statement - one that I wouldn't necessarily agree with, since there are old timers on this forum that have Khorns in rooms with these dimensions, or perhaps even smaller. If you have a low ceiling (less than 8 feet) then I'd recommend thinking carefully about the Khorns if you are not willing to do some acoustic treatments to the room--on the walls and floor at least, and perhaps some ceiling treatments.

13x19 room and the k-horns on the 13' wall absolutely NOT

Perhaps a strong statement - one that I wouldn't necessarily agree with, since there are old timers on this forum that have Khorns in rooms with these dimensions, or perhaps even smaller. If you have a low ceiling (less than 8 feet) then I'd recommend thinking carefully about the Khorns if you are not willing to do some acoustic treatments to the room--on the walls and floor at least, and perhaps some ceiling treatments.

I agree with the above I have khorns in a room that is 13x16x8 with treatment and eq sounds awesome.

I appreciate all the advice. I love the looks of the Belles; I agree that I believe they are the best looking of the whole bunch. But, I would like to try the bass extension of the Khorns.

I just don't know. Maybe an added subwoofer would give me the feel that I want.

If I may be so bold since you and I share the same pre and amps. I had KHorns in a crappy room and the Belles worked better but I missed the lower bass. Note that this was with McIntosh not the NOSValves stuff. There are a couple of options to "un-Klipsch the Belles" and that's the route I chose. I went with 2" wooden mid horns with new drivers and a different tweeter. Ended up more expensive but they work better in unfriendly rooms. I had the NBS built to support subs with a low Z output and bought a pair of subs but since I have obtained my latest crossovers I have no desire to implement the subs and they stay in the HT mode (still using the Belles). If I had the proper room it would be KHorns and Belle center, alas I do not.

Maybe new crossovers. I tried the roadshow pair that traveled around,and yes, they seemed to improve the sound, but the bass still felt like it's missing a little something.

The crossovers are original. The silver cans.

Should I get rid of my Belles to go to Klipschorns? I'm thinking about t, but I just love my Belles and the way they look. Would Khorns sound that much different? Please advise.

I would build a new room and keep them all. lol :-)

I might go this route. (I only wish) :rolleyes:

As long as you have 2 good corners, a pair of Belles will not be able to outperform a properly implemented pair of Khorns.

It sounds like a recap of your Belles could improve them as well...........sharpen up the highs. Those old can caps are most definitely worn out and have attenuated your tweeter output. This is the first thing I would do to make the Belles have their original performance and sound like when they came from the factory. Very cheap and worth while update.

• Like 1