Belles to Khorns?

Keefer

Got the wife some Khorns sometime back, took a road trip to Oregon and picked up a pair of Belles, got home fired them up and the wife told me "Sell-Em".

Seems she aquired the Khorn sound, now she will not even discus anything else.

I can do whatever i wish in my man cave, spend whatever i wish, she comes out to listen a couple times a week, but dont touch her system or there will be hell to pay.

If i had everything to do over again, i would have done whatever it took to get Khorns on site, everything/anything can be aquired after that, think about it, how often do you see Khorn killer deals come up ? get them.

Got the wife some Khorns sometime back, took a road trip to Oregon and picked up a pair of Belles, got home fired them up and the wife told me "Sell-Em".

I can do whatever i wish in my man cave, spend whatever i wish, she comes out to listen a couple times a week, but dont touch her system or there will be hell to pay.

If i had everything to do over again, i would have done whatever it took to get Khorns on site, everything/anything can be aquired after that, think about it, how often do you see Khorn killer deals come up ? get them.

I appreciate the advice.  I haven't found a killer deal yet.  I haven't really been looking.  Just that sometimes i yearn for a little more bass from the Belles than it seems they can deliver.  Maybe that is the sound and I shouldn't expect more.  I don't know.  Maybe i just need to get out and audition other systems to compare.

• Like 1

It sounds like you need to hear Khorns: I agree with your assessment of Belle bass response. 

I've been working on getting my center Belle to integrate between two Jubilees, and pink noise channel gain tests always displays an audible difference with the lack of the 30-60 Hz octave in the Belle, so much so that I really must use a hand-held SPL meter to set the 5.1 channel gains after I make center channel EQ and crossover adjustments.

Edited by Chris A
  • Like 1

I appreciate the advice.  I haven't found a killer deal yet.  I haven't really been looking.  Just that sometimes i yearn for a little more bass from the Belles than it seems they can deliver.  Maybe that is the sound and I shouldn't expect more.  I don't know.  Maybe i just need to get out and audition other systems to compare.

So you got me thinking for a moment, ya know, every speaker iv bought, i never heard till i got home. lucky in one respect i guess.

Both Ebay and CL deals, never had a problem buying Klipsch, pretty much figured anyone who owns Klipsch is a pretty good guy to own quality.

Takin some $1K chances i have, but the Khorn purchase blew me away, my belles were for sale the next day.

You just need to find someone and go have a listen, all it takes is once, and if you can score some for under $2K grab them.

belles are the best looking speakers in the klipsch line, one of the best looking speakers period. 

+1

When coupled with a tapped horn sub, the bass is better than a Khorn without a sub.  If I were to again own Khorns, I would also use a tapped horn for clean bass below the ~32 hz roll-off of Khorns.

Each without tapped horn subs, Khorn bass beats Belle bass hands down. Each with tapped horn subs, the appearance, flexibility and performance of Belle beats Khorns, IMO.  YMMV

I think the Belles are some of the best looking of the Heritage line as well and I would love to find a single for a center, but if you find a deal on some K's just do it.  IMO, the height of the K's add a little something with the sound even in a not so big room, just as long as you're not too close to them.  There may be a benefit of the larger 400/401 mid as well, but I will let the experts here hash that out.

• Like 1

I think the Belles are some of the best looking of the Heritage line as well and I would love to find a single for a center, but if you find a deal on some K's just do it.  IMO, the height of the K's add a little something with the sound even in a not so big room, just as long as you're not too close to them.  There may be a benefit of the larger 400/401 mid as well, but I will let the experts here hash that out.

Two good points.

The Klipschorn is truly unique. The Belle is so beautiful and sounds wonderful too but, the two speakers are different. Because the Klipschorn is fitted into a corner and becomes part of the room (or house) it really creates a presence. The La Scala and Belle don't slack one bit, they just don't dig and dominate like the Klipschorn. 

Edited by runninshine